Vaccinations in Canada

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weerunner

Reaction score
It makes me very envious looking on the American sites and seeing how much less I could be paying for equal protection for my horses. 17.95 compared to 43.00 on a single dose. It just doesn't seem right. does anyone know of a Canadian source, and why not if the answer is no. I dont mind spending money on my horses health but I dont need to be throwing it away needlessly.

thank for letting me vent.

I know...I hear you, LOUD and CLEAR! I too am one of those "envious" ones! As far as I know, in Canada, vaccines are considered to be by prescription type thing, where only vets can supply you with it. I could be wrong, but that is my take on things, and I know it is not legal to bring vaccines across the border from the US.
default_no.gif

A lot of the companies say they no longer ship vaccines to Canada. Maybe something changed with increased security ?

KV Vet says they ship to Canada, didn't say whether that included vaccines, but it's worth an email to them.

I know...I hear you, LOUD and CLEAR! I too am one of those "envious" ones! As far as I know, in Canada, vaccines are considered to be by prescription type thing, where only vets can supply you with it. I could be wrong, but that is my take on things, and I know it is not legal to bring vaccines across the border from the US.
default_no.gif

Yes, we Canadians pay way too much for our vaccines. And I agree, only available via prescription. I am especially amazed at the great difference in the cost of WNV shots within Canada, even varies from clinic to clinic.!!!

But I know, we can now order de-wormers from the States, which is also a lot cheaper.

But I know, we can now order de-wormers from the States, which is also a lot cheaper.
default_yes.gif
Yes, and like you, I have been taking advantage of that one too!!
I did some looking into it, and one of the dewormers that is sold at Jeffers, are made in Canada. They are then sold to the States, then to Jeffers then to 'us' for $2.89? So what they start off at what .50?
default_no.gif

hey guys, check with your vet clinic today (or tomorrow!). I had called around to several clinics here yesterday to get prices on the WN vaccine. All were high priced. Today my regular clinic called me to tell me there is a special promotion on--the 10 dose vials of the Innovator WNV (which includes E/W/T) is on sale for 10% off. (I assume this is a promotion offered by the supplier or the manufacturer, and not just something the vet clinic is doing.) This is--to me--a huge savings. My price for the 10 dose vial is now $293.70 which sounds pretty good compared to the $330+ I was quoted yesterday. Single dose vials of it are $36...one clinic told me $39.
default_new_shocked.gif

One clinic...the only one that is actually stocking the Merial Recombitek vaccine...has the Merial priced at $15 and then the regular sleeping sickness/tetanus shot was $7.20. That's the cheapest way to go, but I didn't like the neck lumps all my small horses got the year I tried the Merial. One of the local clinics will order the Merial in but didn't have a price yesterday; that same clinic charges $9 & something for the sleeping sickness/tetanus shot. That same clinic will order in the Prevenile--first year that is available in Canada--but it's $30 and then the EWT shot is the $9 something additional. None of the other local clinics will order in anything but the innovator vaccine. One clinic will sell only the individual dose Innovator, which of course is way more expensive.

But hey, I'm happy to be getting my Innovator +WNV for a mere $29.37 per dose.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back