USDA Vet Says National Animal ID Program is on Track

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shminifancier

Reaction score
In our States AG newspaper front page it says. "USDA vet: Animal ID program right on track, no signs of slowing with 205,000 already in the program that is nation wide at about 10% Wisconsin is far ahead of that as we have now 45,000 already in the Premises ID Program as we were one of the first States do go with this program as others will be following this summer, Some are making this Mandatory as Wisc. has, and others are also considering this is the way to go.

OH yea right, when we can't even get an Animal Control or Humane Society here......

I'll be laughing my head off when they try to enforce this in Tennessee..........

No doubt they'll be met up with a lot of shotguns :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

I think it's pretty much a joke too, Marty.........Considering that the states can't even successfully list all the registered felony pedofiles, how do they expect to keep track of people's livestock!
default_wacko.png
:

MA

I have read this on lots of lists and I do think we should be concerned - why the government even feels the need to do this scares me! They're using the scare of mad cow and avian flu - but please! If they can already track a cow from Alberta to where it entered and lives here, they surely don't need to duplicate this process with a mandatory ID program!

But as many people have said, we can't even guard our borders against illegal aliens, how are they possibly going to mandate, and control this sort of program? Maybe the USDA should be in charge of border patrol!

So much for less of a beaucracy with this stuff! Can you imagine the paperwork for buying, selling not just horses but smaller animals - poultry, goats, etc. I think the government is looking at another source of revenue - and that is the small farmer. You know the big ones will get around this, as their animals (pigs, goats, chickens, cattle) will be 'short term' as they'll be processed, etc., unlike most of us that keep animals for a longer time period or for life.

It's too 1984 for me!

The idea might make sense behind this whole thing possibly, but to most, it's only going to be another bit of government bureaucracy to make money.

Matter of fact, I'll probably have the boys on the front porch waiting with paint ball guns and see how far they get on my place.

Marty have you ever noticed that its the law abiding people that are hurt by these laws.

Government always goes after the people that are the easiest to get. A couple gets divorced and they owe taxes, its the one that holds down a job and does things right that ends up paying the whole thing.

You aren't going to up and move everytime the USDA comes knocking on your door.

Robin

In wi. this has already become mandatory, with a fine of $2,000 and with other states thinking along those same lines This is NO Joke.. Some States are even going as high as a $5,000 dollar fine. So just think on this...

The cost of systems like this are totally unreal. If it turns into a user pay system what is the cost per animal going to be in the end. Look at Canadas gun registration system, Estimated cost was going to be 3--4 million and its cost well past the billion dollar mark to register my duck gun.

Can you spell T-A-X R-E-V-E-N-U-E????? I can't think of, logically, why else this would be being done. The practical logistics/paperwork would be impossible to enforce, unless, of course, it meant money in some govt larder. Then, they'd figure how to do it, even tho it wuld be an almost impossible hardship on animal owners/breeders/sellers/buyers/traders.

A few years ago (don't remember how many) there was actually a move to enact the following proposal in PA:

Any property with horses would need a 6 foot fence border. OK..........but then the proposed law said, there would need to be ANOTHER complete fence INSIDE that fence, about 6-10 feet in, that mirrored the outside fence. In essence, all horse properties would have had to have been DOUBLE fenced. Can you just even imagine the expense to owners???????? If that bill had passed, we would have been out of business. We could NEVER afford double fencing......... but, fortunately, the proposal quietly died. It might still be out there in some legislator's drawer, but .......gone as far as an observer can tell.

Supposedly, that fence law would have protected DRIVERS............gees.....Even with fences, people find a way to put their cars into horses sometimes. And if they are drunk, well, nothing will protect them from themselves. It put all the onus on the horse owner & let's face it, horses do escape but not as often as people drive carelessly.

I have been contacted to participate in this latest fiasco in PA. I refuse. I won't answer any of their mail. I have no contact with the senders of propaganda for this thing. The info comes in nice letters & shiney brochures. It could easily be taken to be a nice, innocent, helpful program. It's NOT. The ones proposing it cannot be animal owners. They MUST be bureaucrats who somehow plan to eventually turn this into money for the state/feds.

I don't have a strong opinion on this, do I? I will continue feeling this way until someone can convince me otherwise. We are on the state's "farm census" so I guess that's how they decided to send stuff to us. Sorry, you can make me do the census, but not this. There's no law to force us, YET.

Last edited by a moderator:
The USDA can't even govern itself and do the jobs/programs it has now.

This will not do what they say it will,, will not protect the food supply. It can't,,, unless they plan to kill all the wildlife.

This "thing" is not officially mandatory until 2009. It is voluntary until then.

Anyone else that says different is blowing smoke.

There are many states that want nothing to do with this.......

I for one will resist this till the bitter end. If enough people say "No" there is not much they are going to be able to do about it. Arrest 100's to 1000's of animal owners and breeders? Pleaseeeee....

My animals will not be in the "National Herd". They are mine and mine alone.

Why should I tell the USDA that I took my horse across my wee dirt road to go to the mail box?

Why should I tell them I ate an egg I produced?

Why should I tell them I took my horse to the Vet?

Nothing I do at this point is going to make a difference to National security,,or food safety.

Is just a money grabbing scam to tax us more,,and make it just about impossible for the little Farms to feed themselves and the people that want to buy from them.

This possbile law, just treats us like the most stupid of people, unable to know right from wrong.

NO, farm I know of,, and I know many, all think this is NOT a good thing in any way. They want nothing to do with this.

I want the option to buy my food from Certified Organic farms. If this goes through,, they have taken my choice away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember this is a 2 PART Program..The first part is the Premises ID Program which IS Manadory in WI. With other States thinking of doing this also as mandatory........Then step 2 of the NAIS program is the RFID Chipping Part THAT of which has been pushed back untill 2009~! Only because they are not sure of what kind of DATA Base or who will be in charge of these data bases....But the Premises ID Program is alive and well.. Remember there are 2 Parts to the NAIS Program ~

Just remember this is a 2 PART Program..The first part is the Premises ID Program which IS Manadory in WI. With other States thinking of doing this also as mandatory........Then step 2 of the NAIS program is the RFID Chipping Part THAT of which has been pushed back untill 2009~! Only because they are not sure of what kind of DATA Base or who will be in charge of these data bases....But the Premises ID Program is alive and well.. Remember there are 2 Parts to the NAIS Program ~

One of the local vet's thought that Chipping a dog was a waste of time, as "responsible owners wouldn't let their dogs out of their site", so I can't imagine them jumping on the livestock chipping program. I realize that this will probably be the owner's responsibility, but just goes to show the mentality around here.

Latest posts

Back