Update on Barbaro

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
Barbaro’s cast removed today

November 6, 2006

KENNETT SQUARE, PA-- Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro’s right hind leg cast was removed today, according to his medical team. “Barbaro was placed under general anesthesia for the cast removal,” said Dr. Dean W. Richardson, Chief of Surgery. “In addition, his foot was trimmed and a new shoe glued on. A padded bandage with plastic and fiberglass splints was placed on his lower limb for support.”

Barbaro's lower right hind leg had been in a cast since surgery at Penn’s George D. Widener Hospital following his accident at the Preakness on May 20. “He had a perfect pool recovery and immediately stood; he walked easily back to his stall,” said Dr. Richardson. “He used all of his legs quite well.”

Barbaro’s left hind foot, which had laminitis, was also fully evaluated while he was under anesthesia. “There are no signs of new problems with that foot, but the hoof needs several more months of growth before we will know how much foot structure and function will be recovered," said Dr. Richardson.

The next update will be posted on Tuesday, November 14, unless there is a significant change in Barbaro’s condition.

Xrays of his leg http://www.vet.upenn.edu/newsandevents/new...rbaroPhotos.htm

More info if wish to read::: http://www.vet.upenn.edu/bellwether/v65/article1.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: That is great news, this horse has so much heart, if it is up to sheer determination he will recover fully. Thanks for sharing.

Yvonne

I am enjoying the updates, hoping he continues to beat the odds.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

WOO HOO!!! :aktion033: Way to go, Barbaro!!

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

With all the as of late loses of life from similar tragedies on the track, it is truly good to hear he is doing so well. He is lucky to have owners who truly care about his recovery.

WOW! How facinating. Did everyone check out the xrays of his broken leg which are quite large if you click on them? I have never seen such skill as there could not have been much bone stable enough to attach plates to. Those Drs are very good at what they are doing and they deserve much more credit to there heroic efforts than they are willing to take.

And the heart that Barbaro has.... He is amazing and he is a great champion in my books. IMO, Barbaro certainly has much to teach us all about dealing with life's issues.

Thanks for the update!!!

Thanks for continueing to post. I do keep up with Barbaro as well. I am so excited

he is doing so good. This horse is a true Champion. On there web site they have a

magazine they put out for their staff, and supporters. I emailed them and ask for one.

They sent it, it was awesome.

Vicky

[SIZE=12pt]Yeah! Thank you for the update; I too am interested in his recovery. He and the staff of doctors and caregivers have done such an amazing work of healing on him. [/SIZE]

Thank you again for keeping us Barbaro fans up to date on his progress. He is a horse of great courage and determination.

Latest posts

Back