Traveling from WI to Texas in the NASTY weather

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitty

Reaction score
Every great story starts with a beginning and a happy ending so here we go. I want to thank all of you for your concerns with us traveling in the nasty weather. I appreciated the phone calls and checking in.
default_smile.png

We started this adventure when we saw the ad for IAMHA taking applications for the gelding program. Both kids applied and Jessica was lucky enough to be picked for this wonderful opportunity. With that came the next process of getting the colt a ride home from Texas and not only Texas but SOUTHERN Texas. The trip is a mere 1500 miles one way. UGGHHH. We contacted haulers and the price was around $900.00. Unfortunately alot has happened with us this year and that kind of money was not just laying around but Jessie was very excited about this and if you know me you know I will do anything for my kids. :DOH!

So we began the process that I have never done before. Hauling horses for others to help defray the costs. We posted and had several responses. Happy to help others for a reasonable cost (esp after what I was given for estimates) and get Jessie her gelding we lined up several horses for the way down and the way back. Unfortunately I didn't notice that OOPS one of the horses wasn't on the way and detoured us several hours. My mistake but not a problem.

So we started out on Friday. LATE. Unfortunately the new trailer we got, the dividers didn't come in as scheduled and then didn't fit. So Rick (my wonderful husband) had to do what he does best. Fix it. Luckily Lee was nice enough to postpone his leaving time to meet us and it worked out OK. So we leave with one stallion to go to Kansas and pick up 2 more mares in downstate Wisconsin. Cute girls from the Chance rescue going to Texas. Leaving there backtrack up to the Twin Cities and pick up another mare going to Texas. The weather is good!!! Traveling well and make decent time with all the delays. End of day one.
default_unsure.png

Day 2. Weather not so great. OK not nice at all. The ice storm across the plains is starting to act up. Meet up with Susan in Kansas and exchange horses. Get ourselves a cute filly in exchange for McDreamy. Poor little girl didn't know what hit her. But she traveled very well for everything that happened and is super sweet (Jessie latched right on to her). We watched the temperature slowly climb all day until Dallas and then was 60 degrees. Not in Wisconsin -22 degrees two days ago weather. LONG day. Drop off 3 horses in Dallas to happy new owners and keep going to Little America and temperature 75 now and thinking of moving!!! All I can say is GOD BLESS YOU MIKE for being so patient and agreeing to meet us so late- 1230 am. We appreciate it you going the extra distance for us. Not alot of people would do that. And we Thank the Greaves for getting ahold of him. My contact number was wrong and it could have been awful. So the end of day 2 was at 1am in the morning.
default_wink.png

Day 3 started early at 0700 in the day and still 75 degrees. Sleep what is that. The dream of a hot tub was GONE. We meet up with Jane from Alamo Miniatures at 1000am and what a neat lady! And her place was so cool and historic. Even Rick was impressed and he doesn't impress easily. We spend some time looking around and I was thinking to myself, huh wonder how I could stuff acouple of the horses in the trailer without Rick seeing but unfortunately it didn't happen. Jane, being the wonderful person that she is, sent us home with a wonderful colt by Call me Sir. Jessie has no idea how lucky she is. This colt will do it all when he is older as he is a 06 model. But he is beautiful, correct and awesome movement. While I was looking, Rick was putting together the cart we sold and hauled there all wrapped up in blanket in the living space. No area was wasted on this trip!!! So late afternoon we hit the road with a nice clean trailer and 3 horses and dreams of when I can come back and pick out a filly.We stop at northern Texas for the night. COOLING down.
default_biggrin.png

Day 4 starts at 0500. Had to load a horse at 0600. Unfortunately after 2 hours the horse was still not loading. Thinking- wish it was a mini, we could just pull her in. But full sized horses are not that easy. We had to leave with her still there. So on we go. And the ice begans. This was a very scary day. The ice was a inch thick on everything and raining. Tulsa was without power and we had NO gas. We found a gas station with lines around the block and waited. Diesel. Finally get to the pump and go in to prepay and YEP the power goes out. Can you believe it. Rick is familiar with Tulsa so we drive around and a hour later found a small area with power and get gas. The funny part is the person that was beside us at the last gas station is there also. So Rick talks to him and he gives us good advise for traveling. 2 hours later we leave Tulsa and start praying. 32 degrees and raining hard the roads are scary but we have to keep going. There are no hotels and no place to eat. The whole area was like a nightmare. Trees snapped to the ground with inch ice. Power lines down everywhere, including on the roads we were on and the telephone poles that held the powerlines were also snapped for miles. No power from Tulsa to almost Kansas City and power companies everywhere. I can't imagine that they will have power for weeks. Rick is exhausted from white knuckling the steering wheel and we stop in Kansas City at 1000 pm.
default_sad.png

Day 5. 0600 comes too early. Fortunately the horses are taking this well and happy for the stops and good food and water. We start off- ice on everything. I gotta tell you this is the worst day of all of them. Iowa was terrible. I have no idea where the snow plows were but they weren't on the Highways. We rarely saw any and the roads were terrible and I can't count the number of times we broke traction. And a few semis were traveling way to fast and scaring the heck out of me.
default_no.gif
I have NEVER been so happy to see snow in my life. And I think Rick felt the same way. So with NICE roads we dropped off the last little appy in Minnesota and headed home. We got home at 9:30 pm and put the horses in the stalls with plenty of food and water and headed to the house, after Jessie hugged and kissed on them. 2 kids happy to see us along with a bunch of yapping dogs.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

SO this is the end to our story. Would I do it again. HUH. Would have to think about it. And make it in the summer
default_smile.png
Now we need to get a pic of the new boy to show him off.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

thanks for reading
default_wink.png

Kitty

Wow! Thank goodness you made it home safely!

Congrats on the new boy though!

And yep, we were lucky enough to only be without power for 2 days (crosses fingers it doesnt go out again), but they're warning people some may not have power for 7-10 days, so you're right about that one!

Wow!
default_new_shocked.gif
What a story! Praise the Lord that all of you made this safely and are back home. Angels were ministering to you all the way for sure.
default_yes.gif

That is a great story!

Sounds like a very stressful trip but worth it I'm sure!
default_biggrin.png

You found a way to make it happen not just for you but for others...

Sleep, Eat. Sleep, Eat, Sleep some more then go love on that colt!!
default_wub.png

Kitty,

It sounds like your trip was long and exciting! I made the trip down to the NE part of TX with a friend earlier this year, thank god it was WARM for the trip lol! Actually we left WI in the worst snowstorm you could think of but south of Milwaukee was awesome and from there it was smooth as pie! I feel horrible you went through Oklahoma this time of the year with the horrible freezing rain going on! I can't imagine what it must be like going through that...but your story sure put me right in the spot!

Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to see the new little guy!

Kitty, WHAT A NIGHTMARE, I am so glad you made it back safe and sound. Your daughter ins one very lucky girl to have such loving and caring parents that would do that for her, ...and did I mentine a great big CONGRATULATIONS to her. Cant wait to see pics of him, I bet he is quit the fellow. As much as we all hate Wisconsin weather, its sure is nice to come home to after a trip llike that. Corinne

Great Story. You know I've driven that Iowa stretch in rainy weather (fall) andsnowy (winter). It's most always a white knuckle ride with the semis and the winds. Yep, don't like traveling with a horse trailer across Iowa.

Holy Cow Kitty
default_new_shocked.gif
I would have been so terrified that I probably would have ended up sobbing my eyes out on the side of the road. Thank God you had Rick with you ! Been a tough year my friend - this was no doubt the "capper" - please stay home, try to rest and just plain be good to yourself for awhile - you deserve a nice long soak in the hottub with a good book and a glass of Merlot - or hot chocolate - whichever suits you at the time.

Hugs to you and the family - stay warm & safe!

Stac

PS Dinah is now one of the first ones in the barn and knows EXACTLY which stall is hers
default_biggrin.png

Terrified and aged quickly were the terms I would use. If it would have been just the truck it wouldn't have been so bad but pulling a big 4 horse trailer was the scariest thing I have ever done.

EVERYONE should thank the haulers for what they do. I couldn't drive thru that routinely. THANK YOU haulers for a job you can keep
default_smile.png

Stac, your right, what a topper to the awful year here and I hope that is the end to it all. May 2008 be a easy, QUIET year for us.

Dinah is a awesome horse. She knew her stall here also and was a NEAT horse and would keep her manure in one corner. We miss her alot but she knows we think of her often and her foal by Prince will be awesome.

So everyone pray for the folks in the plains. Unless you see it in person you can't believe how awful it was. And I forgot my camera :DOH!

I am thinking someone should be getting one HECK OF A MOTHERS DAY AND FATHERS DAY PRESENT THIS YEAR!!!!

You should have hollered at me - I'm only 2 1/2 hours from Tulsa (in good weather) and we didn't have any ice, just lots of rain. You guys could have put up here for a couple of days to ride out the storms. Glad you made it home in one piece.

OK we got a few pics of her new gelding (or soon to be). He is alittle shy yet but Jessie is giving him plenty of love.

UltraSilverDec2007.jpg

and Jessie and her new boy

JessieandUltraSilverDec2007.jpg

Thanks Jean for the offer. But Rick had to get back to work and I had to ask a friend to take Jessie to her denist appt. that was on Tuesday. One of these days I want to get down there and see all your horses
default_smile.png

WOW what an adventure you had!

I vote you get the mother of the year award.

Glad your trip went well and everybody arrived safely. Pretty little boy too!

default_new_shocked.gif

OMG, I would have been VERY unhappy!! OMG.

Thank goodness you all got home ok.

Congrats on your Sir colt! and a Prince baby......
default_smile.png
)

~Sandy

What a trip you had! I get tired of the heat down here but I don't like driving on ice either.......
default_new_shocked.gif

If you ever make that kind of run again, we are just 15 minutes off I 35 a bit north of Austin, and have plenty of extra room.
default_smile.png

Congratulations on the Sir colt - looks very nice.

Jan

I gotta tell you that Mother of the Year Award is sounding pretty good but I would be happy if she would clean her room- LOL
default_smile.png

And I am staying home and working (at my job) this weekend so if there is bad weather out there I didn't jinx anyone I promise.

And Wisconsin is a awesome place in the summer. Perfect temperatures and your welcome to visit
default_wink.png

I will have to get a picture of our other addition we got in Kansas from Susan Peterson, cute little filly that is the sweetest and calmest little girl. I can't believe she was willing to give her up. Thanks Susan! Jessie has latched on to her and claimed her also.

Kitty

CMHR wants to thank you for taking Chip and Storm to their new home for us. I'm so sorry that

you had all the bad weather. I'm very thankful that all made it safetly thru. You guys need a

well deserved rest. Have a Merry Christmas!!!

Gini

Thanks Kitty for picking up Top Cat. Just sorry that we were in Florida and missed you. Also sorry that you were there in the middle of the night and couldn't take a tour of our place too. Hopefully you will someday.

Tony

I gotta tell you that Mother of the Year Award is sounding pretty good but I would be happy if she would clean her room- LOL
default_smile.png

And I am staying home and working (at my job) this weekend so if there is bad weather out there I didn't jinx anyone I promise.

And Wisconsin is a awesome place in the summer. Perfect temperatures and your welcome to visit
default_wink.png

I will have to get a picture of our other addition we got in Kansas from Susan Peterson, cute little filly that is the sweetest and calmest little girl. I can't believe she was willing to give her up. Thanks Susan! Jessie has latched on to her and claimed her also.

Hi Kitty,

Glad you like the lil overo filly, Starlight, as was loved and spoiled here too. Sounds like Jessie has a [SIZE=14pt]BIG[/SIZE] heart for those lil horses you bring her. Good for you.

I got a cute lil overo guy, from Kitty on her way down to TX. I will also post pics as soon as the weather clears up here. Merry Christmas to us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back