Time for those Driving Progress Updates!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy

Reaction score
Hello All,

Came across an earlier post in September, 2006 about who was starting new horses to drive. Lots of good excitement, plans, and you all were very motivated to get started and go DRIVING!!!!!

So, how are all those young, green horses doing now ....two months later!

Tell all ....ups and the downs. It will be a good learning experience!

Best Regards,

Cindy Pond

Well my three year old from this year did drive in a non rated class at local show. Did really well for the first time as we have not accomplished the extended trot well yet.

I was thrilled to get a decent picture as I never get to see how they are driving.

Black Ties Patches of Glory:

Patchesdrivingjuly06.jpg

My two year old from this year has been ground driving and took him to trainers barn in October. Doing well enough that we hooked him to cart and took a couple rounds in the arena. Still need more ground work on turning and incentive to move out. No pictures yet. Nothing but Mud and Rain here, so will be first of year before we start back up!

This is my two---Black Tie Custom Color (Lucky) is the two year old on the right.

theboysapart.jpg

well i just got my new harness from the states and i love it, its gorgeous, and i have to just tweek it abit and it willbe perfect, i ordered another great wee harness from ozark, and its being made to measure, they are fantastic to work with :aktion033:

i was supposed to have my cart 4 weeks ago and its not coming until friday
default_rolleyes.gif
: and ive done most of the work with twinkle , but a great friend of mine, took him under his wing, and has him IN THE THE CART DRIVING, im so grateful to them for there kindness, and they loved having him, anyway i got him back home yesterday and i missed him so much so roll on friday and ill have him in the cart and driving again i cant wait hes so good, he was one of those horses that just needs to do something other than show, so driving is ideal, espescially with my disabilities,as he will help me out aswell
default_yes.gif
: 9i cant wait to hear the rest of your stories :aktion033:

Well, I was one of the ones who said they were starting a green horse - a 2 year old to be exact. Since you asked for the good and the bad maybe someone can learn from my experience. Please understand that I am very green at this (did learn to drive in college, but that was a long time ago) so I am going real slow. Princess (Aloha Acres Fashion by Magic) has been doing well ground driving in the sand ring by the barn, steers well, does figure eights at walk and trot, etc. and is quite accepting of the bit. She handles noise (wheelbarrow, shaker bottles) behind her well. She has been taken for walks ever since we got her 2 years ago and has been getting used to traffic, but still is a bit nervous about motorcycles. I started ground driving her down the road about 2 weeks ago, with a helper at her head. Before we even left our property, we encountered a school bus with its lights flashing!!! She dealt with that pretty well, and seemed to be making steady progress until yesterday when she was quite spooky. So today I just led her by the halter (no ground driving) and she totally freaked several times, at cars and pickups. I have also been ground driving her in a field next to the road, which of course I didn't do today because she wasn't in harness. Perhaps not coincidently there are lots of other things going on in my life right now, so I will probably put her driving on hold for awhile. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do with her now, you can PM me or post.

Excellent progress ....and so good to get some driving photos. I am amazed at how many changes occur in the young driving horses from first to second year development! It's fun to see them become more comfortable and work a bit at driving from behind as they mature. I know that I was so surprised to see the photos of the changes. It really helps when we have friends or relatives (or even people off the street!) who can use a videocamera and show us how we look!

And rain .....yup, even here in the Northeast, that's all we've had for the fall season. Gotta love those indoor rings ....sure wish I had one about now especially since it's forecasted to go up to 50 next week which is very unusual since we've already had some snow.

And SO VERY NICE to hear from our Irish friends overseas ....thanks for your response.

Ok....now how about all the rest of you driving fools out there. I know that you've been getting those horses going this fall.........

Cindy

Willie has been improving greatly. I can actually trust him driving with my little brother! He is so calm and takes everything like an old pro. Gosh, I love him! Though, our driving has been put on hold for a few weeks because of his cough..

Here is a picture of him from 2 weeks ago.

harnessedup0262.jpg

I had stopped working w/ my 3 year old gelding in July- he was at the point of pulling the cart with me walking beside it. In October I said "well, time to get him pulling weight" and off we went. He is perfect, happy and fabulous! The best attitude, an honest worker Bee if you will plus he is the cutest miniature gelding in the universe. :bgrin

We are stuck in the ground training stage. I need to get the verbal comands down before moving on. one of our minis wont move out and the other wont slow down. on the other hand both of them are doing well being lead through light traffic. not at all scared of traffic, kids , or other horses. DR.

Well, I posted that I had starte Cruiser, was ground driving, before it got too hot (live in Az). And that I planned to continue... but plans changed!

Hubby told me he feels drawn to our mare Casi, and would like her to be his horse (was training Cruiser for him). So Cruiser's training is on hold, and I started Casi. Just started last week so not very far along, but she's smart and easy going, so I'm happy
default_smile.png
Here is a picture:

casiharnesstrot9.jpg

About a month ago I had Hawk going good, he was solid in front of the cart. But he wasn't enthusiastic about it at all, he was dull! I was thinking I should maybe sell him afterall, he wasn't what I was wanting, but he would've made a great beginners horse. Then we gelded him, and he had a month off to heal and because of the snow. Last week the snow melted and we had a beautiful, if windy, day. I hooked him up and had a different horse! I'm so excited about him now, he's turned into the type of horse I wanted to drive, I hope it lasts! Now he just wants to go, and I feel like he's having fun! But still with his manners, though he does want to break a little ... just extra energy, I love it! He's still got a great whoa, and will stand quietly forever, and backs like an old pro. The best part is, he's fast! I also got my aunt to drive him for me, so I could get an idea of how he looks ... he's got a long stride, with quite a bit of height, and he's still pretty strung out, I can't wait to continue working on collecting up and getting him to work under himself more and see what we can get! Of course, now it's cold and snowy again, so it might be springtime before I get back to driving him.

I'm so excited about him ... everyone I know is sick of hearing about my drive the other day, I can see them tune out when I start talking about "Hawkey"!
default_wub.png
:

Hawk1.jpg

New plan for the next couple weeks to get a couple more bitted and ground driving, a two year old colt that might go in the hitch next year and a mare who was ultrasounded Monday and is open this year! Stuff I can do inside out of the wind and snow!

I had two to start....but, with my crazy busy life decided I only had time to really dedicate to starting one..... my Dickens daughter--- and send the other coming 3 year old to Ashley Harris, who is doing a fabulous job! :aktion033: !

Cursty is doing really well :bgrin ...I am tickled how well she is taking to all of it. I had her in the bitting rig for several weeks and, have moved on to ground driving and long lining this week....she is doing super. We have ground drove everywhere....and, shes long lining really well....she is super supple....and,is delveloping a beautiful soft mouth.

She has her commands down well too....walk... trot....extended trot and whoa....and, actually will back wonderfully...the trick is I spent ALOT of time doing my pre-driving work on the lounge line....but, mostly I think she is just really into working...her hearts in it
default_wub.png
: ....thats the key I think.

I will try to get some photos this weekend of her.

Its been alot of fun....and, I am really looking forward to showing her next year....NOW if we can only hold off the snow HA!!!!!!!

great jobs everyone :aktion033: :aktion033: I loved seeing all your photos....and, BEST of luck!!

lis

Superb posts everyone ....thanks for all who responded. It's interesting that 10 have responded but a whopping 160 have viewed this post. Driving interest is strong ...VERY STRONG!

Now, all your posts remind me of a wonderful quote from driving guru, Sallie Walrond:

[/b]The most important ingredient which are needed for training a horse are time and patience.

We have that saying in the barn, on our computer, in our cars and we live it every day! It is a process ....not a quick, straightforward one either, but rather, a whimsical one at times!

Good work Everybody ....keep practicing and remember your patience!

Cindy

Today I took off work a bit early and was thrilled to find my new firm tree saddle for my second mini's harness had arrived. With just an hour of daylight left I moved right along making the adjustments to the harness and put it to the cart. It was perfect! Still fiddled w/ the traces and breeching to get Pippin in there perfectly and he waited so nicely all along the way.

Another fabulous thing happened, he gave a good hard spook while trotting along- not exactly sure what caught his eye- but more important he came right back to me and went on in a workman like fashion afterwards. With any size horse green horse it's always nice to get that first spook out of the way to kinda know what to expect. :bgrin

Our holiday weather is going to be sunny and warm through Sunday. If I'm not riding then I"ll be driving!

Well, I've been busy with work lately, so there hasn't been much ground driving going on around here... :bgrin

However, the palomino filly was, as expected, doing it easily. She could be hitched up at any time, I work her off the back of the cart as it is, so she's well used to all the noises that carts can make. I'll just have to be patient... :bgrin

The silver buckskin is going to be a little trickier, and will require more work. I haven't had much time to spend with her lately, but will do over Christmas. Will get pics up eventually...

Here is my driving horse that is in training with Patty Cloke... He is shown below after a few months after she started working with him and getting him moving forward in the right direction.

For those of you who dont know... I searched for years for a top Single Pleasure driving horse and saw a couple nice ones that caught my eye but I wanted more (those few went on to World Grand Single these past few years). SO the search led me to good friends Casey and Wendy Buitenhuis and came across their Dandy daughter (NFC Dandy Shonna 3X World Champion Driving Mare) who was in foal to a Dandy son (NFC Dandys Moon Man 3X Res WORLD GRAND Driving) and figured if this resulting foal couldnt move or produce moving foals, there wont be one... The rest is history.. I purchased the colt when the foal hit the ground and 4 years later here he is! Ready to rock the World and making his West Coast debut in 2007!

Thanks for letting me share and good luck with your driving horses!

neonawesome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chandler,

Thanks so much for that picture ....it sure OPENED my eyes up this morning! Wow ...terrific mover and it sure will make 2007 fun for you! Good Luck.

Cindy :aktion033:

Here is my driving horse that is in training with Patty Cloke... He is shown below after a few months after she started working with him and getting him moving forward in the right direction.

For those of you who dont know... I searched for years for a top Single Pleasure driving horse and saw a couple nice ones that caught my eye but I wanted more (those few went on to World Grand Single these past few years). SO the search led me to good friends Casey and Wendy Buitenhuis and came across their Dandy daughter (NFC Dandy Shonna 3X World Champion Driving Mare) who was in foal to a Dandy son (NFC Dandys Moon Man 3X Res WORLD GRAND Driving) and figured if this resulting foal couldnt move or produce moving foals, there wont be one... The rest is history.. I purchased the colt when the foal hit the ground and 4 years later here he is! Ready to rock the World and making his West Coast debut in 2007!

Thanks for letting me share and good luck with your driving horses!

neonawesome.jpg

AWESOME Mover ...have fun in the blue ribbons ! Lovely, Thanks Renee

Working on several here this fall, and just drove my stallion for the first time in 2-3 years. He's a little stiff and rusty, but boy is he fun! More to come .... :bgrin

Jan

Well, I haven't done much lately with my green girl, Locita, due to the fact that by the time I get home I only have an hour or so of light left, but before the time change, things were moving right along. I had had her in the cart about five times and she had been great every time, so we decided to take Lucy and my other, trained, mare out for a little trail drive. I drove Lucy and a friend drove Suzy and we had a wonderful time, despite the fact that it was 40 degrees and raining. Locita was perfect, very calm the whole time, even though she had to pull my old cart whose wheels sound like they are going to fall off at anytime!lol!

That is my next project, buying a new cart. I was looking at the Superior Sulky Show Carts, the one that can be used in any class with both registries. I would like to get into some light showing, so want to buy a cart that I would be able to use, both for shows and just having fun. Does anyone have any experience with these carts? Do you think they would be ok for light trail driving (nothing heavy, finely crushed gravel and rolling hills at the worst) I'd appreciate any feed back you could give me.

Sounds like everyone is making great progress, can't wait to see what you all have done by the next update!

Latest posts

Back