This just absolutely floors me !!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2minis4us

Reaction score
Local Craigslist Ad :

9 year old pinto mare 321/2 inches was born with clubbed foot has baby at her side 3 months old & rebred $275
I almost can't believe it but there are people out there that don't have a clue !

It does not surprise me. I had someone contact me about a CL ad when i was breeding, saying that there "is someone selling some minis for $100 each, maybe less if you take them all. (she said) I got my nice stallion from a guy that kept him chained in his backyard"

I told her that he sounded like a wonderful rescue, that he seemed to have come from a bad situation and I am sure he would make a wonderful family animal once he was gelded. I also found out that the new owner thought it was okay for a slim adult to sit on him! I proceeded to explain the 20-25% rule of a healthy mini's weight v/s carrying weight v/s pulling with a well fitted cart and harness.

So, it does not surprise me that ignorance breeds ignorance and the cycle continues. We all know a responsible equine owner would remove such an animal from the breeding gene pool and either keep it or place it in a good home.

Nothing against someone that needs to place their equines, circumstances occur, but I was very forthright and explained my space was limited and I was very particular about size, papers, bloodlines, conformation and disposition. I also explained that I was not a fan of finding equines on CL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: REO
Welcome to the new normal! The market is influxed with substandard horses tha people just keep breeding and selling for a small amount, I sometime wonder how they can afford it, since around here it costs a small fortune to breed, which is why we have stopped. I really feel sorry for the new people that think they can make money in this as a business venture, as I know they have spent thousands on breeding horses and the breed is still evolving and the market is tanked. Those of us that are trying to get out can't sell a horse to save our lives. The buyer wants everything for nothing and the seller can't even recoup their investment. It is a sad state, but face it, it is what it is. As long as their are those out there just trying to make a buck and not caring about improving the bred there will be a market for that cute little horse, club foot and all.

Reactions: Tab
There's one add here with a person (I personaly know) that is selling a 28" stud that could be reg IF the buyer hands in paperwork as its all filled out. He has a beautiful long mane and tail and has great pedigree of bond/soats. Proven sire of handsome correct foals (1 bad conformation and 2 dwarfs). Funny personality and great with kids. Make a great show horse.

1 Hes a stud

2 not reg nor can be

3 throws bad foals

4 mean and is dangerous

5 would be better off gelded, pulled from gene pool and would make a great pet if trained.

And she knows better! just dont care!

makes me sick as she already sold the 3 foals he throw as great show horses at $500 each thats dwarfs too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some else on the Facebook Minis for Sale list is selling two mares with parrot mouth, foals at their sides and bred back! I almost answered the ad... but I kept my mouth shut...

It is so unfortunate that the market is flooded with these poor quality animals. It is even more so unfortunate that craigslist has virtually replaced most other viable sources of advertising, so if you don't post ads on CL, no one can find your horse for sale, as CL has become the "go-to" source for advertising....however in the horse world, selling your horse on CL makes you a backyard breeder in many circles. I all too often find myself with a potential buyer in my stable yard, attempting to argue with me over the asking price of a foal- and they always refer to the slew of horses on CL for 100 bucks. So I tell them to buy that one instead, then when it does not serve the purpose that you were originally shopping for, and you are stuck feeding and caring for a dud, come back and see me and I will sell you what you were looking for (but not willing to pay for) in the first place. Rude- yes, but would you believe that in ten years, 8 people that I turned away like that actually came back and bought a foal from me!? There are people like that in all circles, not just horses. The only way to deal with them is to educate as many people about the proper way to do things as you can.

It's the horses that suffer at the expense of humans, very sad.

Good quality or bad quality they are all guilty of the crime of adding to the overpopulation. Don't care if they are some big name breeders with a whole tribe of really nice National winners or backyard breeders that don't have a clue, doesn't matter to me one bit. And Amysue you make valid points but you're socks would fall off if you only knew some of those fancy big name breeders who advertise on Craigslist for a couple hundred bucks.

I actually went to look at a rescue miniature for a fun little cart horse, id say at the beginning of the year up in PA; was rescued from an amish farm, she was under weight when they got her and had lice etc. When I went to see her she looked good, bomb proof and a wonderful personality but she didnt track right at the trot so I passed on her. But then the lady mentioned she had at an "offsite farm" 20+ minis with new foals etc that were AMHR so I decided to go look at them for the heck of it while I was up there, and lets just say I was dumb founded when I got to the other place.

Its bad when someone says they dont know what foal goes to what mom because they just let them foal in the field and dont even know it. They let a herd of 30 mares run around in a huge field that had little grass and mostly woods with a stallion that was 20 years old and bones sticking out everywhere and his mane and forelock so long he couldnt see and they said he was under weight from running around breeding all the mares... The poor foals were mis-proportioned and no where could have ever been used for a show horse and honestly could of had dwarf qualities in them when I looked back on it, she had by chance a nice looking foal and of course she was keeping the filly and going to breed her later (like she needed any more in that situation she created).

All she could say was how one that she sold became an AMHR hall of famer and was a top driving horse now and should have sold it for more then she did, yeah one and thats what you are going off of and justifying the prices and how many you produce which is basically a free for all? And all she did with these poor mins was use them for pony rides at a yearly fair other then that they were never touched.

It was just horrible thing to think a horse person would do that and think what they had set up was okay

MiniNHF, your story made me cry. It's a huge responsibility to bring foals into this world and I hope every breeder (big or small) stops and thinks before they decide to breed their horses. Not saying not to do it. Just saying that thinking long term is the right thing to do because sales these days are few and far between and homes are drying up.

Trust me it made me sick to my stomach.

MiniNHF, your story made me cry. It's a huge responsibility to bring foals into this world and I hope every breeder (big or small) stops and thinks before they decide to breed their horses. Not saying not to do it. Just saying that thinking long term is the right thing to do because sales these days are few and far between and homes are drying up.

Very sad story MiniNHF. Sorry to say a long time ago we went to this fancy private pre-school to look at a mini for sale, then we were told were there were more minis and up in the back of their property there was some minis standing in a muddy poopy pen up to their knees, it was sickening.

And the biggest problem is the more people that buy from that person the more she will breed and have non quality show miniatures or ones with major problems because of her irresponsibility.

There are too many people out there that think if it is a horse then it should be bred. Even if it IS registered, has excellent conformation, and a sweet disposition, it doesn't mean it should be bred. The culls should never be bred and the fantastic should have a good home. That's more important than saving the line.

MiniNHF the place you're describing sounds EXTREMELY familiar. I live in PA and I wonder if its the same place I'm thinking of

MiniNHF the place you're describing sounds EXTREMELY familiar. I live in PA and I wonder if its the same place I'm thinking of
Daniellee - I think I came across their ad on Dream Horse, where I have sold alot of my bigger horses and purchased a lot as well, but it doesnt seem she has them posted on there anymore.

I cant remember what the name of the farm where they lived at was called but it appeared that it could have been an amish place at one point by the look of the house and the main barn, the "other site" was a fenced off property with a trailer of another woman who supposidly watched the horses as well as a really crappy I guess you could call it barn. The woman like to talk down to people like you knew nothing about horses in general which rubbed me the wrong way from the moment I stepped foot on the farm.

My vet just left, yearly exams and dentals, all went well till the last, I knew he had a lose molar and he is getting up in years, by the way, not ever for sale. You wouldn't believe my vet bill and only one needed a float. This type of post makes me wonder if these poor horses ever get any kind of exam or care. Those of us that really try to take care of the horses in our care know that you must be responsible and when you sell you can't really recoup the money spent, also brood mare dpreciate in value not gain. Some of us have never made a paycheck breeding horses we do it for the joy and to hear our name announced over the loud speaker. So those that sell for a little, you know they don't have anything invested, or maybe they are desperate to sell for the welfare of the horse. It's hard to know. I've never advertised on craigs list and I'm not bashing anyone that has, but to keep breeding horses with club feet, lose stifles, parrots mouth, etc. is a no no, and most of us wouldn't even consider it. On the other hand there are some out there that actually breed for a dwarf, why, becuase they know there is someone out there wanting that little one and will pay dearly for it. Shame!

MiniNHF I knew it! It is the same place! She also breeds larger horses who aren't of good quality either. Terrible place all around. Can't stand the woman.

MiniNHF I knew it! It is the same place! She also breeds larger horses who aren't of good quality either. Terrible place all around. Can't stand the woman.
Yeah I did see the larger horses but had no idea that she bred them as well, she did have I think they were pigmey (sp?) goats as well she was breeding because I saw what look to be newly born ones running around loose. Anything on the main farm is kept in crappy stalls in the older barns with no light etc. So I dont know what is worse the main farm or the secondary one, they are both awful. But I agree it is a terrible place all around even the owner.

Latest posts

Back