Sweet PDZ - question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
I started using Sweet PDZ for my stalls last year. (The granules are small and sand like). When I first bought the bag and opened it, it had this wonderful fresh sweet smell. During the course of the year what was in the bag lost it's smell. So I stopped using it. Yesterday I thought I'd buy a new bag and start using it again and this morning as soon as I opened the bag and smelled it....there is no smell. I told the guy at Tractor SUpply about my first bag and that I kept it in a galvanized container (inside its own bag)....he told me not to put it inside anything. To just leave it out of any container. Funny thing that this brand new bag has no sweet smell at all. So my question is.....does Sweet PDZ not smell sweet anymore? Anyone use this product and have this happen? I was going to start using it in my chicken coop too, but if it has no smell and doesn't smell sweet kinda defeats the purpose.

I've been using it for a little over a year and I've never noticed a smell.

I've never noticed a smell either.

Me, either; have used it for years and never noticed it having ANY sort of smell.

Margo

Its not supossed to really smell.

It is a nutralizer for wet (urine soaked)straw and or bedding from molding.

It also is for keeping bacteira from forming and or on a low amount from forming.

Its made to keep wet areas from smelling.

I called the company today. The gentleman I spoke with was very nice and insightful. The first thing he asked me if I was sure it was PDZ and not Stall Dry...and I told him I was definitely sure because I still have half a bag in my barn. Before he called me back they did an experiment in their facility by putting a bag of PDZ in a container with another product that had a fragrance. They left it in for about an hour or so. They noticed a very slight smell in the PDZ. So.....conclusion .....it is possible that the feed store I got it from had this particular lot stored with something like kitty litter and may have picked up the smell that way. The old bag even tho it no longer has the fragrant smell...today I dug deeper in the product and smelled it and there was a faint fragrant smell still there....very faint. Normally PDZ should have no smell at all. He said I was not the first person that has called about this type of thing happening and that should it happen again to send him a sample of it so they can examine it and test if the bags may need revamping because if they tend to lick up odors from other products this would affect the Zeolite. Interesting....and I'm glad I called.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I use PDZ for the exact reasons MindyLee described. And boy does this stuff work. After fanning my super-peeer mini's stall off and covering the entire stall with this stuff, it instantly smells better that what it did. But it never smelled like anything? I will remember to see if my stuff smells or not tomorrow when i clean stalls.

I work at TSC and sell PDZ all the time. We also use it during chick days to help with keeping baby chicks healthy and clean when there are way to many in the stock tanks for sale. I can tell you this... it works. One yr we only used flaked shavings. In 2 days, with a heat lamp beating on wet poopy smelly shavings FULL of bacteria, PDZ made a huge differance. The smell was still there BUT WHAT A DIFFERANCE in how smelly! Not nearly as bad, cleaning the wet areas around the waters, still wet BUT not molding and easy to clean. It really works on nutralizing all the nasty in the stock "chick" tanks not as scary and a lot easier to clean.

I've used it a few times and I am in the minority - I'm not a fan lol. It works like a charm at first, but when the odor comes back it sems to come back with a vengeance! I use pelleted bedding with shavings over it and don't typically have an odor problem.. had just used pdz in a stallions stall that smelled and apparently I would need to use it daily with him. Easier to just use more pellets .

Jan

Latest posts

Back