Quantcast

Stings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

River Wood

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
896
Reaction score
0
Location
Minnesota
Now that it has finally warmed up.......
the wasps are out full force around here
and gets me to thinking....about allergic reactions.

My mother/father/sister are all allergic to bee stings with various serious reactions as was my brother and some carry bee sting kits.

I have never been stung and as foolish as it sounds....Very foolish..
:DOH! I have never been tested to see if I would have a problem if stung.


Any who.. I'm curious to know if anyone here has stories to tell of their reactions, if you carry a bee sting kit and how it works for you.

Anyone ever been tested?


Thank Yas
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Miniv

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
12,747
Reaction score
677
Connie, I am not allergic, just have the pain and some localized swelling. Been stung about 3 times over the years. My concern is for YOU. Since every other member of your immediate family seems to be allergic, I would HIGHLY advise you to get yourself a bee sting kit!!!!
 

Indian*R*A*I*N*Dance

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
691
Reaction score
5
my brother got tested for bees. he's allergic. Deathly allergic.

the 1st time he got stung he swelled up in the face and didn't look right. he had medican then he was fine. after that he got tested. turns out that our great grandfather was alergic also. my brother now carries an epipen. (sP)

Then he was at camp one time and got stung, he swells up. when he does get stung he has to get the epi pen and they have to call 911.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Bunnylady

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2007
Messages
788
Reaction score
0
Location
Wilmington, NC
I don't carry a kit, but I probably should. Every time I get stung, I swell up an area as big as I can spread with my hand ( that's about 8 inches.) I got a wasp up my sleeve one time, it stung me twice on my forearm before I could get the shirt off - that time the swelling was from knuckles to elbow. (Jeez, even the memory still hurts on that one!) Either you are amazingly lucky to never have been stung, or I'm just unlucky, but I have been stung several times when I was minding my own business and the blankety-blank thing ran into ME!

I keep a bottle of plain ammonia at home. If I get stung, I put some on a paper towel and hold that on the site of the sting for 20 minutes or so. The theory is that the ammonia reacts with the protein in the venom and somehow deactivates it. It works for me!
 

Camelotcavs

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
244
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
Funny you brought this up...

I am severely allergic and carry a pen - except for yesterday when I was stung!

I go into anaphylactic shock in less than five minutes.

Who saved me - my vet of course!!! (We were floating teeth and he had a pen with him.)

Hubby always says it is cheaper to vet me then send me to an MD. :DOH!

Today my hand is still about double in size but it will go down in a day or two.

My most frightening experience was when I was driving with the window down and a bee riccocheted off the mirror and stung me on the throat - I drove straight to med express which was thankfully only a few miles from where I was. That experience had me intubated and in the hospital for two days.

Once you get a script for a pen remember to store them properly and replace them BEFORE the expiration date.
 

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
27,182
Reaction score
522
Location
Spotsy., VA (USA)
I was such a tom boy when I was a kid and I was stung many times. I liked to put a clear cup over a bee on a flower and "keep" it a few minutes to look at then tip the cup over and let it go but sometimes... plus stepped accidently on many bees when barefoot. So, I know I'm not allergic.

However, if you are concerned about a bee sting (being allergic) but have not ever been stung, would the first time be a "freebie"? I'm thinking if you're allergic to something, you do not have a reaction the first time you are exposed, but the subsequent times (?).
 

Sonya

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 7, 2004
Messages
4,088
Reaction score
167
Location
Newaygo, MI
I've been stung a few times with no allergic reaction. We have 2 bee hives and I've never been stung by one of our honey bees and we walk right up to their hive....I cut the grass right up next to their box and they don't care, they only get aggresive when we take their honey...then we dress in full bee suits.

My dog is allergic to stings though...he's also never been stung by our honey bees. He will swell up and get disorientated and throw up. We do have a shot we carry around for him...we were camping and he walked over a nest that's in the ground and got stung many times...thankfully we had the shot with us. My vet puts the solution in them and I keep the whole syringe refrigerated/on ice and we carry it where ever we go...it's a major pain in the bum!

It must be very scarey for all of you that are allergic. I'd be afraid to go outside.
 

Genie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2008
Messages
3,325
Reaction score
5
Location
Seaforth, Ontario, Canada
I will die if bitten by the Yellow Jacket, which is actually a wasp, and can bite over and over.

I carry a pen but have not had to use it.

Prior to carrying the pen, and not knowing how allergic I was, I was bitten after stepping on a wasp under a fruit tree, which is where they make their home.

It likely hit me with 3 or 4 bites which caused the anaphaelectic shock reaction.

My blood pressure dropped quickly and in seconds I knew I was losing control.

It was like my body was frozen. I couldn't get much oxygen and every opening in my body was emptying, vomit, urine, bowels.

I couldn't speak but knew everything that was happening and what people were saying and doing.

My husband was home and got me to the hospital very quickly where I had to have my heart jolted, my lungs filled with fluid, I am left with a heart murmur.

I had a "near death experience" and I actually was looking forward to going, except that I knew it would be too much for my parents, who had just suffered the loss of my brother at age 36 in a car accident, 3 months to the day, earlier.

My three children were teenagers at the time(1988) and I had no thought of them or my husband, because I guess I knew they would get along fine, I just thought I better stay because my Mum and Dad would not be able to stand any more loss of their children.

I like to remind people to say kind words in the presence of someone dying even if you think they are in a coma or sleeping or very close to death. I heard every word said and as they were working frantically around me I was past struggling to breathe and just calmly listening to the chatter, hoping they could save me so Mum and Dad did not have to suffer any more.
 

River Wood

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
896
Reaction score
0
Location
Minnesota
Wow how profound you guys. Gives me goose bumps! I am glad that you are ok! It is amazing how something like a bee/wasp skin can be so deadly....

I have to admit that I am a bit nervous now..as I am at least a 20 minute drive to the nearest hospital.

Jill.....I have heard that as well... that you may not have a reaction the first time so that makes me even more nervous......


I"m not sure why I have never been stung....luck is part of it and my extreme fear for those little beggers helps. I see one anywhere near by I go running and screaming.... :DOH! Like that is the best thing to do..... :DOH! :DOH! :DOH!
 

Sterling

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
6,044
Reaction score
12
Location
Southern, NJ
I am alergic in the way that I'm a big chicken when around buzzing bees or ones that come after me.
Every hair on my neck, back, arms...you name it stands on end! Last year I got stung by a red and black wasp. (Ugly, ugly, ugly insect!!!) Hubby and I were moving the pole to the hammock to a different section of the back property. On the top of each side there's a hole where you latch the hook to hold the net part of the hammock. I took hold of it close to the small hole and did'nt think twice. Had not seen any buzzing bees around it....and when we set it down with a thud, I kept my hand on it a little longer than I should have. All of a sudden I felt these little wirey arms wrapping around my wrist and when I looked down felt the burning, searing pain of that rascal pumping his stinger right into my wrist! I don't think I've ever jumped that high or hit myself that hard! I was slapping and pounding my wrist so hard.....and screaming and yet did'nt feel the pain that I was inflicting on myself. All I remember was the pain of the sting and felt it actually running thru my body. I felt the hot burn running thru my veins and the skin crawling sensation that comes with a sting that you can't put out. Finally hubby took me and my arms...as I followed while still hopping up and down, but he would'nt let go and doused me in my fish pond. Dunking my arms all the way up to my torso. I have to say the shock of the cold water helped immensly! Then he told me to stay put as he ran in the house and got some ice. I've been stung by bees before.....and they HURT...but man I think I'll remember this sting for the rest of my life!
 
Top