Star gazers....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
While out last night taking the "puppies" on their nightly walk thru the pasture I saw my first falling star in eons!! I was sooo excited (and made a wish
biggrin.gif
). It was towards the western sky.

The moon was full last night and the night before it was a yellowy color and last night it was silvery....I was just wondering why the differences in the colors...is it the atmosphere, air that affects it or does it go deeper than that? It was beautiful and lit up everything.

The moon looks different in color mostly due to its height in the sky and of course, the dust and moisture in the atmosphere.

There WAS a partial lunar eclipse, yesterday, which changed the color of the moon, and of course, took a "bite" out of it.
smile.gif

When the moon is higher in the sky, it usually looks silvery-white, but lower on the horizon it appears both larger and more yellowy in color, sometimes deep orange, depending on the amount of dust and particulate matter in the atmosphere.

At least this is how it was explained to me....!

There are a couple of meteor showers right now, Orionids and Taurids. Guessing you saw an Orionid...? They are the stronger of the two.

Happy skywatching!

Liz M.

Last night was 'the hunters moon', in late summer its called the harvest moon. Unfortunatly that partial ecplise could only be seen from the very western part of the states, so I was outa luck
no.gif
But, I did get some great shots, now I need to figure out how to do the photo bucket thing LOL

Ohhh thanks you guys!! It's so interesting talking about these things! I did'nt know about the partial eclipse nor it being the hunter's moon either. So NEAT!!
yes.gif

Pepi--what made it a hunter's moon as opposed to a harvest moon?

Sterling said:
Ohhh thanks you guys!!  It's so interesting talking about these things!  I did'nt know about the partial eclipse nor it being the hunter's moon either.  So NEAT!!
yes.gif

Pepi--what made it a hunter's moon as opposed to a harvest moon?

486491[/snapback]

I honestly do not know for sure, but think its tied to the ancients ( Celts/Germanics etc) and the time of year. Dont think there is really any difference, other than that.

Thanks Nootka
aktion033.gif

Here is a link to the Space stations NASA page, you can find out when the ISS will pass over and you may be able to see itNASA Link

The moon has been especially beautiful this week, even with smoke in the air. I was so excited when I got an email with the subject 'Lunar Eclipse', but it was out of our viewing area too.

Here's some of my space favorite sites:

www.heavens-above.com--You can enter your zip code on this one and it will let you know when the ISS, Shuttle or satellites will be visible from your area.

www.sel.noaa.gov/pmap/--Auroras.

spaceweather.com--Auroras, metor showers, asteroids.

space.com--All things space. Great photo galleries.

You can sign up for email alerts and newsletters on the last two. I got this email yesterday:

Space Weather News for Oct. 18, 2005

http://spaceweather.com

Looking for Mars? Tonight you can find it using the Moon as a

"landmark." Go outside between 9 and 10 p.m. local time and look east. (You can

do this even earlier if you have a clear view of the eastern horizon.)

You'll see the Moon and Mars rising together in the eastern sky. Both

are bright: The Moon is almost full and Mars looks like a brilliant

orange star. If you're impressed by Mars tonight, you'll be even more

impressed two weeks from now when Mars makes its closest approach to

Earth for the next 13 years. Get the full story and a sky map at

http://spaceweather.com.

EXTRA: Amateur astronomers are monitoring a growing dust storm on Mars

big enough to see through backyard telescopes. Visit

http://spaceweather.com for images and updates.

This dust storm on Mars sounds really neat. Has anyone here checked it out yet? I may have to look for it this weekend. I'm almost afraid to take out my scope though. It seems to have mystical powers as a rain-maker.

I will definitely be looking out for Mars in a couple of weeks...that should be interesting!!

Pepi--did you get your pics loaded?

Thanks for the links too you guys!

Latest posts

Back