So how DO you guys protect your minis from theft?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy Hogan

Reaction score
I know you all feel this way, but my blood absolutely freezes at the thought of someone stealing my minis or horses. It somehow seems worse with the minis (just don't tell my big horses that).

It just scares me silly to think about experiencing that kind of loss....

But then I'm preaching to the choir....

So that begs the question. Do most of you use locks of some sort on your places? What kinds of locks?

I feel some areas of the country are more prone to this type of activity than others -- for many reasons. Some that come to mind are where to sell them, where to keep them, market, etc. Where I am there are far more neighborhoods with houses holding easier to sell items than a horse. There is also the transportation issue
default_wacko.png
Thus, horses of any size are not the choice of our thieves.

For minis, the attraction is size -- so foals are the ones to watch, easy to pick up and go. It's always possible and I have signs posted that say "electronic surveilance, will prosecute, etc." So far, in 20 yrs I have not had an issue. We have few livestock sales in this area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great question and I think that if anyone wants to steal your horse badly enough, they are going to find a way to do it, but you don't have to make it easy for them.

I have done all I can:

1. I have a double fence around my fields. The outside one on the perimeter which is field fence has grown up thick, tall and nasty with a lot of thorny bushes which would take some doing to cut it back or hop over it for access. It was the old existing fence that was here when we moved here. Our pasture field fence is six or so feet in front of that (with two strands of hot wire). It would take a lot of time for someone to get in and remove a horse.

2. We also have extra vehicles that we deliberately move around periodically.

3. I have big dogs that bark very loud at anything, one of which I know will attack. The neighbor's dogs are the same way so if they all start barking we all know to look outside and check around.

4. I have neighbors that would call me if they saw anyone suspicious. If I leave for more than three hours or so I tell them and I do leave a radio on in the barn so someone will think I am just in the house.

5. We keep spotlights on at night which light up both the front and back doors of the barn at night.

6. I never talk about them to anyone who may be suspicious that my horses are worth any amount of money. In fact I downplay it and say that all they do is cost me money and no one wants them and they don't sell for anything at the local auction.

7. I have a camera on in the barn and a night light on inside it at night.

8. The horses are stalled at night always.

9. I'm an insomniac.

I have signs in 4 different languages that the pasture is private property , Surselvian Romanach , French German and Italian. I have combo locks on every gate openingand , my fence is a strong cable wire. Also at night I put my horseys in a smaller pasture that is right under our house, their stall is the entire floor under our house, so I hear everything. I make sure that I am on very good terms with my neighbors, and they know how neurotic I am about the horses. They are my eyes when i am not looking. All horses are microchiped, they have passports , and I keep updated photos of them. I also have sensor lights all over the place especially where there is a gate. Thats about all I can do .

1. I have a double fence around my fields. The outside one on the perimeter which is field fence has grown up thick, tall and nasty with a lot of thorny bushes which would take some doing to cut it back or hop over it for access. It was the old existing fence that was here when we moved here. Our pasture field fence is six or so feet in front of that (with two strands of hot wire). It would take a lot of time for someone to get in and remove a horse.
2. We also have extra vehicles that we deliberately move around periodically.
I, too, have double fence around the perimeter of my farm. There is an old, rusty barbed-wire cow pasture on one side (anyone would have to cross through several lines of both NICE post and board and barbed-wire just to get to that row of fence. There is NICE post and board (my neighbor's property borders my farm on two sides, they raise Standardbred racehorses).

We, too, have an abundance of vehicles that always make it look like someone is home.

6. I never talk about them to anyone who may be suspicious that my horses are worth any amount of money. In fact I downplay it and say that all they do is cost me money and no one wants them and they don't sell for anything at the local auction.
Me too! I refer to mine as "junk" to nearly everyone that takes an interest on or off (say, at the feed store) my farm. I have even made up faults to point out to the suspicious types (we had a pizza delivery guy take an unusual interest in the horses once, so much so that I ended up having to ask him to leave!
default_unsure.png
CREEPY!). They all bite, kick, stay sick, and aren't broke if anyone asks.
default_biggrin.png

One or the other of us is usually home - we don't have a predictable schedule that anyone could track. Barking dogs help, although they bark at everything they do have a "serious" bark if someone comes onto the place. We have lots of lighting and motion detectors, and we are on a private road - doesn't mean someone couldn't come in but it doesn't carry through traffic or random "lookers". Our gates are not locked, but they do stay closed and the far gate has an automatice opener with a code. Gate by the house has dogs.
default_smile.png

Jan

Lots of fence,, some pretty aggressive hot wire and there is always someone around at various times around the property. Have special latches on the gates, most people can't figure out how to use them. We live up in the hills and surrounded by forest land. You have to have a reason to come up here.

My DH also target practices on our property when the horses are in, every once in awhile, I have been very slowly getting back into my Archery. I know the target practicing is not possible in all areas of the US.

People are less likely to mess with you if you have firearms around the place. Sad to say I know.

Good fence with lots of hot wire on top.

No Trespassing signs all over the place.

In barn at night.

Large yard light on front of barn and motion lights here and there.

Barking dogs.

Front gate that is shut for the most part, especially when no one is home.

Keep very irregular hours.

Observant neighbors.

I have signs in 4 different languages that the pasture is private property , Surselvian Romanach , French German and Italian. I have combo locks on every gate openingand , my fence is a strong cable wire. Also at night I put my horseys in a smaller pasture that is right under our house, their stall is the entire floor under our house, so I hear everything. I make sure that I am on very good terms with my neighbors, and they know how neurotic I am about the horses. They are my eyes when i am not looking. All horses are microchiped, they have passports , and I keep updated photos of them. I also have sensor lights all over the place especially where there is a gate. Thats about all I can do .

Wow...I haven't microchipped my guys yet. The whole thing has me thinking for certain. In some ways I'm too trusting. This is great info. thank you.

We have good fencing, field fencing, all kinds of electric; but in all reality, if someone wants into a place, they are going to get in. Its never that hard.

We keep the huge isle doors on the boarding and show barn shut at night during the winter, however, during the summer they are usually open. Even closed though, we have a walk through door that stays unlocked incase there is an emergency or a boarder needs into the barn (if the big doors are closed the walk through door, and tack room and office doors (which you need a key for) are the only other way in.). We have extremely heavy duty doors on the tack rooms and office and keep EVERYTHING locked up. There are some minis that are in the stallion barn with stalls and runs...good luck catching them if you want to steal them. If you have food, they will trample you. If you don't. They run lol.

While we do keep halters on gates during the day when horses are turned out, we do NOT leave halters out otherwise. Why make it easier? We have front gates from the road leading into the front part of the farm (where the barns and stallion pastures are). We have gates leading from the barn area to the house area. We have gates leading from the house area to the south pasture area (24/7 pastured horses). We have gates leading from the barn area down the lane to the turn out paddocks. We have gates leading from the lane to the back hay pasture and cross country area. WE ARE A GATED FACILITY! Lol...we like our gates. I would think the sheer number of gates and added pain would help detour thieves lol.

Did i mention we like gates?

When you pull into our barn, the first thing that you will notice is the herd of dogs that will great you. They know our clients and boarders vehicles believe it or not. Anything else, or anyone after hours...you better believe they are barking and going crazy. If you are a new visitor to the farm, you will be greeted by a rather large wolf who will stare your butt down! He is a big teddy bear. But sure gives strangers the once over. The chihuahua...i make no guarantees...he really might eat you..heck he doesn't even like me! lol

Really all you can do is be on your gaurd, and always suspicious of everyone. Between my wife and I, and my in-laws, there is almost always someone on the property. On the rare occasion we are not here, our boarders know who does and doesn't belong!

Wow. I don't think I've ever thought about that. I think it's extremely rare to have a horse stolen around here, thank God. I'm not sure it's ever happened (well, maybe 100 years ago
default_biggrin.png
). Obviously, the really successful race horses and jumpers etc. may worry more about that kind of thing, but the normal sport horse etc. let alone mini is pretty safe in Ontario (and Canada, for that matter).

That would really suck to have to worry about that. Thankfully (or not), most people around here refer to horses as "hay burners" and are glad to leave them in the owners barn.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we bought this farm, in 2006, one of the things that was important

to me was not having a place on a major road ...... Years ago, he has since passed of

old age, we had a gorgeous Egyptian Arab halter horse, long flowing mane and tail.

We always boarded out. This place while decently close to home was on a well traveled

road. Someone came into the barn after we left one night, about 10 PM, and cut his tail

off just below the dock. We pulled all the horses out of there and moved them to a private

facility that was on a dead end road.

Now, for the first time in 30 years my horses are at home. We are about a 3/8th of a mile off

the main road, three houses including ours on the road.

Single lane road coming in and going out. We are the last house. Coming up the road if there

is more than one car, you have to pull over to let the oncoming car pass. No one except

friends and visitors to the neighbors houses would even know there are horses back here.

Since we are new to this community we don't talk about our horses except at the feed store

which is pretty obvious we have horses. The vet knows we are here. A large German Shepherd,

an alarm system that is on the house and barn along with a fire alarm in the barn,

connected to the alarm system makes us feel about as confident as one can be knowing we're

most likely just keeping the honest people honest.

Latest posts

Back