Slick's ear

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loren&Rocky

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the vet, and yes Slick has a sarcoid type wart. I knew that, but now I know for sure. Anyway, treatment is to apply a zanex blistering agent for 4 days in a row, wait 10 more days and apply again, if needed. I am sure he will need it. It is a bad one. So, for all you who have a simular problem that is what we are now going to try with Slickers.

l_06b8f4dcb3577c099667c366b3578c25.jpg

What is the vet thinking the zanex ointment will do for the sarcoid? I am just curious.

Thanks!

It will burn it off, I am guessing. He said it will burn the area (And everywhere it touches so I need to be careful) and that will kill off the warts.

Picture of Slicker looks great. Glad to hear things will be looking up for him. Although I was treating him sarcoid warts and it seem to go away during the summer month when the ear hair was gone and came back in the winter with the long hair.

We've had 2 horses with sarcoids. The one had one on his neck near the bridle path, vet recommended xxterra (sp?) which worked with 2 sets of applications. The other one had it in his ear, same vet that recommended xxterra did an injectable with that one because he didn't want the horse to be head shy due to the xxterra being SO painful. Neither one of the horses we had treated ever got it back.

Hopefully this works for Slick!

I'm curious as to why your vet decided that a topical was the line of treatment... just interested in reasoning.

I don't know why the vet did not suggest injectable. I did not know about it my self. He is going to call another vet today and discuss Slick's case with them. She said he would call me again after wards. So, maybe the other vet will offer a different suggestion. I will let you know.

The ointment is suposed to burn off the warts, killing them so they do not return. Freezing did not work on Slick's case, so maybe burning them off will, I hope!

I will not be treating Slick at all with this until his stitches are out of his ear, that is for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back