Running Eyes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky

Reaction score
The last couple of days Lucky, our new 10 year old geldiong has been having clear running eyes. Once I noticed his nose was running a bit, but, cleared later in afternoon. Could it be allergies? Or is it brought on by the cthe change of temperature. Hmmm.... do I just watch it to see if anything else develops or if it continues in a couple of days? I'm new to horses so don't know.... When I searched on yahoo, someone said it was probably flys.... REALLY.... flys irritating his eyes??? They suggested I put fly spray on my hand and rub on his face???? REALLY? Thank for your help.....
default_wacko.png

yup, could be flies...nothing wrong w/putting fly spray on face..just be careful around the eyes. I know you are new to minis but they do make several different types of fly masks for your mini too. Swat is another thing I like to use on their faces and around muzzle.

Its expensive but a good product to have around the barn too is a bottle of Vetricyclene (sp?) its blue and comes in a spray bottle 29.00, they make one for pink eye but when I called company its safe for just itchy or irritated eyes. Sometimes you can even get up close and look cross ways in to the eye and see if there is gunky crappy stuff that just might be irritating....or perhaps a lash has been bent back and is in the eye...wierd I know but it happens.

all that said I am very careful w/eye problems and if it persists for more than a few days I would have a vet come out and look. Eye ulcers are not something you want to mess with IMO. Good Luck

I took one of my horses to an equine eye doctor because he was suddenly having runny eyes that were sometimes swollen. She gave me a list of suggested eye drops. The one I used and has been working very well for my horses (and myself) is Opcon A by Bauch&Lomb. It has an antihistimine. I have the list saved if you are interested in some of the other eye solutions.

Also I use a fly mask. And another problem with one of mine is greed: he burrows down into the hay tub thinking a tasy morsel is on the bottom and the hay pricks his eyes. Now he has a hay bag and is not allowed a tub.

Thank you sooo much for all of your good advice. This a.m. his eyes looked fine. I am going to rub fly spray on is back and a little on cheeks today. Plus wipe his eye area with a moist cotton ball if he will let me.....
default_yes.gif
I'm taking notes....there is sooo much to learn!!! Thank U!

I got this fly spray called Bronco Equine Fly Spray by Farnam. It says active ingredients are Prallethrin .033%, Permethrin .100% and Piperonyl Butoxide, Technical .500%. Is this okay to use? I basically got it because it said for horses, ponies foals and harse barns and stables. When reading the directions it says for horses use full strength, but, doesn't say how to use it any other way. Seems like I was reading something about Bute being toxic to minis.... I don't know what Bute is... When I started reading ingredients and saw Piperonyl Butoxide it made me wonder if that was okay. Sorry I'm sooo stupid about horses....
default_no.gif

I got this fly spray called Bronco Equine Fly Spray by Farnam. It says active ingredients are Prallethrin .033%, Permethrin .100% and Piperonyl Butoxide, Technical .500%. Is this okay to use? I basically got it because it said for horses, ponies foals and harse barns and stables. When reading the directions it says for horses use full strength, but, doesn't say how to use it any other way. Seems like I was reading something about Bute being toxic to minis.... I don't know what Bute is... When I started reading ingredients and saw Piperonyl Butoxide it made me wonder if that was okay. Sorry I'm sooo stupid about horses....
default_no.gif
Not stupid at all, asking questions is how we learn.

The Bute you were told to not use or use with extreme care is an anti-inflammatory (I cna't spell the full name without looking it up, bute is the short name for it).

Bronco spray is just fine, I use it on mine. If he'll tolerate it, just spray his body directly from the spray bottle. I said if, as some don't like spray until they get used to it. For his face, just spray some on a paper towel (or your hand, but wash them after) and wipe his face down with it being careful around his eyes.

The anti/ inflammatory to avoid in minis is PHENYLBUTAZONE aka Bute

Latest posts

Back