Rope Halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimie28

Reaction score
I'm just curious to know if anybody here uses rope halters for their minis? I personally seen a difference in my big horses response to a rope halter vs. the traditional nylon halter when dealing with teaching a foal to lead to training a 2 yr old colt on a lunge line. They were much lighter and quicker to respond then with the other traditional halter. From what my trainer told me, the rope halters have more pressure in the right places because of the thin, round rope vs. the wider, flat halter.

After seeing this, I have ordered a couple mini rope halters to see how it works for the minis. Does anybody here use them for their minis and what experiences have you had with them?

I have rope halters and regular halters for my guys, if I am leading around our farm outside the fence where my youngster may get silly I use the rope halter. I love it. I only use it for leading and don't ever leave them on otherwise. My boy had a habit of rearing and then trying to get away and the rope halter helped me get control. Seems to self correct. I got mine from the downunder horsemanship web site. (clinton Andersen) They make a really small size and show you the proper tie on their web page. For lunging and driving training I use a leather halter.

I use them but never tie with them. I only use the nylon halters for tying. And never leave them on while turned out.

I had a mare that had a really bad rearing problem. And once I started using the nylon halter on her she hasnt gone up again.

I also never using them on the stallions at breeding time. I always use their nylon halter with a chiffney bit.

I too use a rope halter and it has made a HUGE difference with my mini who tends to have a bad attitude at times with his ground manners but when grooming and tying I use a leather halter and never leave the rope halter on.

We like how versatile these are for catching a wide variety of sizes of miniature horses, but we also use the regular miniature horse nylon halters.

These rope halters are available at most miniature horse tack places for less money.

Ozark Mountain Miniature Tack

I bought one from Clinton Anderson and have made several myself. I use them only for training or handling such as farrier work, grooming etc. They are great tools. The knots in specific places on the halter apply pressure, it is not a constant pressure as well as applying a gentle hand.. They can be made with 2 knots and 4 knots on the nose band. 4 knots give more pressure points and enhances controln usually for the biggies. I do macrame' and have made several for myself and friends. Also for my biggies. I use different weight marine nylon rope to make thin delicate ones or thicker heavy weight for the QH's. What is nice is that you do not have to use a lot of pressure to maintain control like you do with a regular halter. I have also made them to use with a show chain if needed. I use them to practice halter training for show. They are cheap to make also. I have been able to use this method instead of a twitch for the horse that won't stand for the farrier or always wants to pull on the halter during training.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have 2 Clinton Anderson rope halters and really like them with the training. I feel they do a much better job giving in to pressure then regular nylon halters doo. Any other time I just use my regular nylon halters. Like any other halter I wouldn't leave one on.

I use them also. I love them! You can see so much more of their pretty faces, they dont leave marks and they fit better under a bridal. I love getting diffrent colors of rope and making my own, and you can customize them to fit each horse. I can't seem to get a nylon halter that fits correctly, so I only use a nylon one for worming, bathing or if I'm going to stake them out.

I like the idea of rope halters but am so afraid they will come untied and I wont know how to retie it.

It's always been easier for me to use the nylon halter.

Are they hard to tie or retie?

I would never use a rope halter on any of my horses. I think we have "evolved" past the days when all you had was a big roll of rope and that's what you used to restrain your horse. I think nylon halters are much more comfortable for the horse and DEFINITELY SAFER to tie your horse with. If you really need something to get the horse's attention, throw a stud chain on them. I can't imagine needing a rope halter on a miniature horse, that really seems like overkill. Most minis, unless truly spoiled, should never even need a stud chain.

Then again, I think the NH is ....
default_rolleyes.gif

Sorry, not a fan.

Andrea

I like the idea of rope halters but am so afraid they will come untied and I wont know how to retie it.It's always been easier for me to use the nylon halter.

Are they hard to tie or retie?
Clinton Andersons web site has instructions on how to properly tie a rope halter with photos.

I bought a Parelli rope halter at a clinic a few years back. Used it on my stallion and now that is ALL I will use on him. I do everything with him while hes wearing it. Leads, ties, hauls, lunges, breeds, ect. He is MUCH more responsive in his rope halter than a nylon halter.

My others also have rope halters, but they are from the local tack store. The rope isn't as firm/stiff, so I dont like them as well. Although they work well enough since the other horses are easy going (a mare and foal).

I have never had an issue with rope halters. They dont come off when I'm working with the horses. Occassionally, they seem to loosen, but I just retighten them and we're good.

Erin

A stud chain? I would think a stud chain would do the opposite effect a rope halter would. Would not recommend using a stud chain, they can do alot more harm. If you need to use a stud chain to get the horse's attention you need to go back and some re-training. Then again I am all for the NH
default_rolleyes.gif

Golly, how things change, and what was old is now new again. Years ago it seemed that everyone used rope halters--we had a couple big horse ones left over from the old days out on the ranch, and I did hate those halters. Was glad to throw them into a sale one time & be rid of them--actually got a few dollars for them, old as they were!

Definitely do not use them now. I've never had issues with using only nylon or leather halters on our horses, big or small and will not be going back to rope ones, ever. (And no, definitely don't need stud chains either.)
default_laugh.png

[SIZE=12pt]Both my Mom & I have rope halters for our boys, as well as regular, flat nylon ones. (& synthetic leather ones as well.) They are definently more responsive with the rope halter, & on days when they are feeling real frisky I'll go for the rope halter rather then a flat halter, simply because they have more respect for the rope halter & it leads to a more enjoyable time for both of us.[/SIZE]

I don't think that in responsible, common sense hands a rope halter's abusive, same with a halter with a stud chain. Though the pressure each applies is very different. At times I've used a stud chain in combination with a flat halter, if I think they need a little bit of a reminder of manners. I think the key with both a rope halter & stud chain is quick correction & then reward, don't just keep pressure on. (dulls the effect) Also there shouldn't be consistant fighting with them, give them the benifent of doubt, they might not understand what your asking.

That said, I use my rope halter for most everything (when i do use it) except tying unsupervised (i will tie with it if i'm not leaving for any amount of time.), & I never leave it (or any other halter) on while loose. I love to lunge with mine as well, but with another rope tied on, no snap on the lead rope(heavy) so the level of communication is light & sensitive.
default_wink.png

In response to Andrea's post, I don't think you need a rope halter on most miniatures, but I have to say there is a very light sensitive 'dialogue' going on when you use a rope halter.(Similar to Driving/riding with a reins & a bit.) I've achieved almost as much sensitivity with a regular halter as well. I've noticed that using the rope halter it also fine tuned communication with a regular halter as well. My horse says rope halter, properly fitted are just as comfortable as flat halters.

I'm not die-hard 'rope halter' but I do think properly used, it is a great thing. & it obviously works for some & not all.
default_biggrin.png

Since mine are all halter broke already, I don't see the point in even trying them. However, I did tie one to use in the costume contest for my "Indian" grandson. Unfortunately the rope I tried to use was a bit too stiff but our filly didn't seem to mind. In fact I always insist on the nylon halters with the throat snap and adjustable nose piece so I can used them for everything including washing and clipping.

I've seen people use the rope halter on foals and it was too big for the foal. The knots weren't in the right places and it was pretty useless. This particular foal was fighting the woman all the way. He could have used some discipline. So while they might work in the right hands I guess they don't work if you dont know how they should fit!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back