Road Trip to Elma and we are back home

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
My daughter and I are heading to Elma Saturday to see Ron, Dorothy, Koda and of course Duckie. Praying it doesn't rain all day as I would love to see Koda driving in person. Who knows maybe this time I will get it right with my camera and get a short video.

Last edited by a moderator:
First let me say thank you to Ron and Dorothy. They were very gracious and understanding even though I was having issues with medication I'm on and not able to do much running around. I have to mention that Ron makes the best Zuchini Bread.

It wasn't a bright and sunny day like I'd hoped. Plus we got a really late start so by the time we got there it was really cloudy and just starting to get a little chilly. That didn't dampen my spirits however to see my little guy driving. Other than the fact Koda believes he can't turn left until Dorothy shows him he can he is doing great. Dorothy has done an excellent job with him in my opinion. Even with the dogs fluttering about and the Airedale, Ivy, "who seems to really like Koda" he pays attention to Dorothy and listens intently.

Koda sang his tales of woe on how he should get to come home. He would sit in the back seat and be a good boy. After all he knows his Dad is missing him and needs him here to take care of him. Yeah Right Dad gets the food all to himself now. Jimmy really does miss his boy but I'm not telling Koda that.

He's our horse but Dorothy handed the reins to Vicky to hold while she went to get her helmet. Koda wasn't comfortable with that. He even called out to her wondering what was going on. How could she just hand him to this person who is great at giving treats and brushing him but doesn't know the routine at all. It was cute to watch.

We got to see the new lambs who are super cute. I had to check Vicky's pockets when we left as she also found them to be very cute.

Her Majesty the Duck is looking good. I have learned she thinks she is above playing with the group. Tends to have an aloofness about her. Afterall she is a driving horse now and I'm sure knowing her it has in fact gone to head. I did not bother to let either her or Koda know that they will have a new sibling in about a month. Why upset them until it's necessary.

Here are a couple pictures we got yesterday of Koda Bear. Not the best ones. I think I need to invest in a good video camera in the future.

KodaApril092011007.jpg

KodaApril092011003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to tell from the angle of those pictures but it looks like his diet is coming along!
default_aktion033.gif
It's always nice to hear your updates and the pictures are a wonderful addition. One of these days you need to plan your trip for a weekend when I'm free to come down!

Shortpig said:
He's our horse but Dorothy handed the reins to Vicky to hold while she went to get her helmet. Koda wasn't comfortable with that. He even called out to her wondering what was going on. How could she just hand him to this person who is great at giving treats and brushing him but doesn't know the routine at all. It was cute to watch.
It's wonderful after all the horror stories you hear about horses in training to find a horse who bonded so fast to his trainer that he doesn't trust his owners anymore!
default_wink.png
That is the primary reason I recommend Dorothy, above and beyond her driving expertise. She's one of only a couple of trainers I would trust my own horses to without reservation.

Shortpig said:
We got to see the new lambs who are super cute. I had to check Vicky's pockets when we left as she also found them to be very cute.
default_laugh.png

Leia

Geez you guys, thanks
default_wub.png

I think Koda was actually saying, "forget the helmet; don't forget to bring some food. I'm starving here"
default_biggrin.png

Oh yes Leia he has lost some weight. This boy is a total airfern. But he has definitely lost some weight. We will probably only go back up the end of the month first of next to bring him home. Then he will be at the barn you have been to. Arena work is in his future for some time. I agree totally now that I've found Ron and Dorothy I am so comfortable sending a horse to them for training.

I am hoping to head back up later in the year with Ariel just to do some fun driving. I'm hoping Ron and Dorothy will show me a little of CDE type driving at that time with her.

Nobody leaves here for any length of time in May as we await the new foal. We will be on lock down here. I have someone lined up so I can call them if need be and stay home from work the day it happens.

We won't have another horse to send to training now for at least 3yrs.

Wonderful progress report! Sounds like he's doing fabulously! I'll tag along sometime when you all go
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back