replacement shafts for wide shetland style mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melgray97

Reaction score
Help! I have an easy entry cart with 48" shafts that I am using with my newly acquired 37.5" mini. I want longer shafts with enough room in between for her to be able to bend & move properly. Even at fighting weight, she has a very solid build (c-size mini comfyfit harness with pony breeching). Anybody have suggestions on where to get a 52-54" set of shafts with at least 17" in between at the narrowest point?

I am trying to upgrade this cart economically, so that it is usable while I save for a Hyperbike.

Is it the metal EE cart similar to the one Ozark Mtn sells? That is what I have only I ordered it with the 54" shafts. You might heck with Ozark and see if they can get the longer shafts. Or email CTM and see if you can order (phoning CTM doesn't work so well, or it didn't last time I tried. They do answer emails though.)

Minimor - It is. I have looked at the CTM shafts, but they are 16" where they sit in the tugs. I've also looked at the Kingston shafts, but worry that the location of the bend where the tugs sit is situated in the wrong place and will result in the shaft extending beyond the point of the shoulder.

Have you used CTM shafts? If so, how is the fit behind and in front of the tugs? Would there be room for a wider, stockier horse?

I know I am probably WAAAAY overthinking this, but I really want to give this little tyke proper equipment to work with.

Yes, my cart is a CTM--I have driven a fat 37" horse on it (do he was wider than he should have been! :D )

Fit was good. The only time I ran into poor fit with it was with a friends pregnant mare -- we were doing some beginning work with her and had to quit because her belly got too wide for the shafts!!

I've also looked at the Kingston shafts, but worry that the location of the bend where the tugs sit is situated in the wrong place and will result in the shaft extending beyond the point of the shoulder.
you are right on the Kingston shafts. They come with two settings- 48 and 54. I had wanted to use the 54 but they do exactly what you feared! Instead I'm using the 48 ones, which don't leave much room but work okay for my horse. Your horse is a bit bigger, though. Good luck!

If you take the shafts you have to a reputable welding shop in your area and tell them what you need, they chould be able to fabricate exactly what you need. or, if you know the shop teacher at your local high school, you might contact them and ask if they would do it. Sometimes the welding class needs a small project for the students to work on.

Good luck.

funny, i have wood shafts and they present the same problem. my husband drilled a new hole in the shaft and put it slightly to the inside on the front hole. it gave more room but still not enough. good luck

I am VERY excited! I somehow wound up on the Patty's Pony Place website and was clicking through the different pages on the site. Kelly, Patty's husband, makes shaft sets and a suspension kit to upgrade basic easy entry carts. After several emails back and forth and a telephone conversation, I have decided to move forward with a set of shafts from him! It would have been cheaper to go with shafts from CTM, but the ones that Kelly is building for me will FIT my mini, allow her room to bend and move, and are much sturdier than the basic pipe shafts. (They are the same style as the shafts on their Cricket cart). Pictures to follow after they are built, delivered, and I get them on the cart!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back