Recipes for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
For those of you who might be looking for different things for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas...

Being I am french canadian I grew up with certain recipes passed down from generation to generation.

One of the recipes is a very rich and sweet thing called "La sucre a creme" and a literal translation is Creamed sugar. It resembles fudge BUT you would cut the pieces much smaller as it is so sweet and rich.

Here is the recipe that my grandmother use to make and her mom use to make and so on and so on.

1 cup of Maple Syrup (not the Aunt Jemina stuff, the real thing)

3 cups of light brown sugar

1 cup of white sugar

2 tsp of baking powder

1 cup of milk

1 cup of 35% cream (35% cream is basically whipping cream)

1 tbs butter

3 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract (not the imitation stuff, mind you in a pinch you can certainly use it)

Walnuts (optional).

Put all ingredients in the pan with the exception of the butter, vanilla and walnuts. My preference is to NOT put the vanilla, it does not need it and I am not a fan of walnuts either so I don't put that in either.

Put all ingredients except the last three (or two - see above what I use) in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly. The syrup will swell but not to worry as it will go down on it's own. The sucre a la creme will be ready when the candy thermometer reaches 240 degrees. Let the sucre a la creme cool then add butter, vanilla and stir until creamy. Spread into a buttered pan ( 8x8 or 9x9) and let set.

ENJOY

This is a great recipes to make and give as a gift with a small card with the recipe.

Pumpkin pie from scratch!!!

I have a recipe I tried awhile ago that was very very good. I don't like the store bought pumpkin pie, hence the reason I always make from scratch. Instead of the evaporated milk used in most recipes it uses vanilla icecream. The result was great with my family. It makes two pies basically and I told my son when he came over with his fiance that he could take the second pie home.... well unfortunately, lol, there was only 1/2 of the second pie left after our dinner. If anyone is interested let me know and I will find the recipe and post.

The other thing that is very traditional to french canadians is "Ragout de Porc" which is AWESOME and again very rich. If anyone is interested let me know and I will post my husband;s mom's recipes. You won't be disappointed!!!

Okay, back to cooking
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Danielle, what is the "La sucre a creme" exactly? I guess it means Sugar Cream or something along those lines, but is it a fudge or something more like taffy or ??? You mentioned in your other post you had made some today...can you post a pic of it? It sounds yummy and right up my ally!
default_biggrin.png

Daniella, I have a question for you. In your recio=pe you said to combine everything but last 3 (three) ingredients but in the direction at the end you said to stir in butter and venilla. When do you add the 35% cream? Do you cook it in or add it when add the butter and vanilla

It sound real good but I like a package of chocolate chips would go good in it.

Thank you.

My dad makes really good stuffing... His secret is 1 bottle of very dark beer added to the stuffing, and apples , along with the normal recipe. I add smoked dried sausage to the stuffing, and use our good bread from the local bakery, first I saute the dried bread cubes in olive oil and garlic to make a "cruton", then make the stuffing with that. My husband is a chef , we have a hotel and restraunt ***, we have hundreds of good recipes , bet we are in Europe and we have different stuff that you cant find in the US, but if I find something easy Ill post it.

Cheers
default_wink.png

Sorry about the goof in the recipe. My mother said to also add walnuts but I ommitted. The last three ingredients that you don't put in the pot on the stove is the butter, vanilla and walnuts. Sorry about that.

My camera is charging so will post pictures but in the meantime I found this with lots of pictures of the cooking process so you can see and it will answer questions as to what it looks like and the texture of it.

Sucre a creme

Daniella, I have a question for you. In your recio=pe you said to combine everything but last 3 (three) ingredients but in the direction at the end you said to stir in butter and venilla. When do you add the 35% cream? Do you cook it in or add it when add the butter and vanillaIt sound real good but I like a package of chocolate chips would go good in it.

Thank you.
You certainly could put chocolate chips in it, it would be deadly sweet unless you were to use the semi-sweet ones, that might be better and I would only put them in once the mixture is cooled-off and stir them in otherwise if you put them in too soon they will just melt.

Danielle, I would love to see the recipe for Ragout de Porc. We do alot of catering and have 2 big Canada Events every yr. and would love to surprise them with something more traditional. Thanks so much

heidi

P.S.

Your sucre de creme recipe is the same one that we use...I always O.D. on the stuff...good thing I only make it a couple times a yr. !!

I'd like to see the recipe for Ragout de Porc too!

And I think pulling together an LB cookbook is a GREAT idea!

Fall is absolutely my favorite time of year and my favorite feasting holiday is Thanksgiving, of course! I LOVE turkey. I LOVE pumpkin. I LOVE turkey. I LOVE cranberry. I LOVE turkey. I LOVE apple cider. Did I say I LOVE turkey? I would love to see some recipes with these flavors.

Here is one of my favorite recipes; it is EASY, QUICK, CHEAP, the ingredients are readily available at the cheapest of grocery store chains (Save A Lot, Aldi, Wal-Mart, etc.) and I think that it goes well with my idea of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner (turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, etc.).

Vegetable Bake

2 small (either 12 or 16 ounces, I think) packages of frozen mixed vegetables (the mix of peas, carrots, green beans, and corn, sometimes you can find a mix with or without lima beans, I like both)

boil the vegetables until done and strain, set aside

1 small onion

chopped, small

3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese

1 cup of mayonaise (I have known many, many people that claimed to hate mayonaise that LOVE this casserole)

combine vegetables, onion, cheese, and mayonaise and spread into a 9" by 13" pan (this recipe works well in a glass pan, a metal pan, or a flimsy, disposable foil pan that you would take to a potluck)

1 stick of margarine

melt, carefully and completely

1 sleeve of Ritz crackers (I usually use 1 and 1/2 sleeves)

crumble (I smash mine into very fine crumbles)

combine butter and crackers and little spread the mix over the top of the casserole

Bake at 350 degrees for at least 30 minutes (sometimes I do mine for 45 minutes)

I now cannot go to a work or family potluck if I don't bring this casserole, they will boo me right back out the door.
default_thumbdown.gif

Danielle, could you please post the Pumpkin Pie Recipe???? PLEASE
default_please.gif

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

Sure, I will post the pumpkin pie recipe. I am heading home from work in a few minutes, after being off a week with the swine flu and still not over it. Being told not to come in tomorrow. This is quite the flu let me tell you. Will post later this evening.

Latest posts

Back