Raw Diet for cats?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone feeds a raw diet to their kitties? My heart fur kid was diagnosed with intestinal lymphoma in June, and it has been a rollercoaster ever since. He is mostly on a canned food only diet right now (he does get a little dry Nature's Variety Raw Boost daily to keep his appetite up), but the moist is contributing to his diarrhea. He also has hyperthyroidism, so we can't give anything with high iodine (fish, egg, etc). He is being treated with Felimazole, chlorambucil, and prednisolone. I've just recently added Slippery Elm Bark to his diet, and probiotics.

Our cats get dry cat food, but they supplement their own diet with raw by catching birds, mice and gophers, and I'm sure other critters. I hope you are able to find an appropriate diet to help your kitty. Did your vet offer any suggestions, or just specialty canned food? I'm pretty sure if you google raw diet for cats that you'll find some recipes out there.

When feeding cats raw diets, you need to make sure they are getting taurine as it is an essential amino acid to have in their diet (and is supposed to be added already in most kibble & canned foods). In nature, they get their requirements of taurine from eating one mouse.

I had a sample of raw cat food here once, but none of my 3 indoor-only cats, who are mousers when they get the chance, would touch it. I have heard from others that cats can be finicky about switching over to raw.

So sorry to hear about your guy…..

~kathryn

Way back when, my Mom used to feed her cats chicken livers, gizzards and green beans with peas. Her cats always ate it up, shw also feed them dry food.

I really like this website and it gives detailed info on how to prepare a raw diet for cats:

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood

Some of the other pages are excellent as well....great analysis on wet cat foods.

My cat has calicivirus and has issues with stomach and gum ulcers and used to have monthly episodes of extremely high fevers that left her unable to even walk to her litter box. Started the new diet a year ago and haven't had any issues since. Got rid of the lovely "froth pukes" that happened every once in a while, too.

ETA: Jinxed myself-Tazzy is having one of her flare ups. But a year without one is still great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no Ohmt, hope your kitty well be ok. Thank you everyone for your replies. He is refusing to eat a lot of the healthier more raw foods, so I'm still iffy on whether I want to go through all of this just to have him turn his nose up at it. :/

Latest posts

Back