Ration balancer instead of feed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Field-of-Dreams

Reaction score
What do you use? My 3YO gelding is very round. He doesn't LOOK fat from a sie view, but when you look down on him, he sure looks fat. He definitely needs some work, But i was wondering if a ration balancer would be better than feed. He gets Purina Mini right now.

sammie right 2.jpg

sammiie left.jpg

This was this summer. He was also on free-choice hay all suimmer, he isn't right now.

Only my hard keeper gets feed (Purina Miniature). My other three get McCauley's ration balancer. They just don't need any extra calories but I like giving them this as a treat more or less. I've gone without giving it to them at all as well and they were no worse for wear.

Til the price went out of my budget, I fed Progressive Nutrition grass formula. The horses did well on it. I switched to a low volume feed after that, and when feed prices went up again, I switched once more to a vit/min pellet with their hay/pasture. [i only switched my easy keepers, I do have a few that are on specialty feeds.] I think they all look pretty good; with the shorter day length, they are starting to put on their winter coats, so starting to look a bit woolie, already.

HAs he been checked for IR? IMO, he looks overly thick in places he shouldn't, but doesn't look "fat" if that makes any sense at all.

He looks a little fat to me, and not one I'd be giving any extra feed to. I'd be giving him good hay and some minerals but that's it. The pony I was working with came in fat and 'padded' on the butt and shoulder plus a cresty neck, so I immediately worried he was IR. Combination of work and feeding has him losing the padding, and his bloodwork has normalized. My other pony isn't IR or padded but I give him only enough feed to go with his mineral pellets, maybe a cup every other day. I bet with work your guy will shape up nicely, he's sure got a glossy coat.

I feed Empower Balance to our new mini, seeing as how my easy keeper Arabian and Welsh Cob x have been on it for a couple years. She came to me eating All Stock feed and sharing round bales with other horses, sheep, cows, and goats, so needless to say, she was a bloated obese creature. She's slowly losing, and her coat has changed drastically, from dry and course to soft and shiny (& oh the dapples!).

If I need to completely remove even those few calories, then I'll put her on a vitamin & mineral supplement, but I won't just leave her to the hay (changes, and I don't have to opportunity to get an analysis on every batch) and a mineral block. But that's my JMO.

I used to use Purina Brand Ration Balancer "Born to Win" then they changed it to "Enrich 32". My horses looked really nice when I fed it twice a day, about a cup am and pm with nothing else but hay/pasture. . I had a couple that needed more calories so I added some food to it. Then price went insane, like so high it was shocking, so it went out the window. If I could, all my fatsos would be on it in a heart beat but there's no way I'm paying that kind of price.

The Purina mini worked for a while until of course they changed the recipe as usual. Then my horses took a nose dive and looked horrible in every way. If I had been working them, they would have been in deep do-do. That is the last feed I would give a horse who needed energy and calories to work. I finally said screw it to all the feed companies messing around and I'm feeding plain oats with a salt and mineral block and free choice minerals. Nobody is the worse for wear.

We feed the Enrich to our babies, and you're right! I priced it and it's close to TWICE the cost of a bag of Mini!

Fat Boy will just have to get along with less. And now that he's separated from his buddy and can't steal HIS food, we may be OK.

I have been using the Nutrena Empower Balance as well and it is WAAAAAAAAY cheaper. It is more per bag, BUT, a little goes a long way. To feed a "complete feed" is roughly $16.95/bag and you need to feed about 1 pound for every 100 pounds of horse weight. The Empower, you only need to feed about .1 pound/100 pounds of horse!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can get EB for $22.95 per 40 lb bag, and Enrich 32 is $21.95 per bag. An considering the average 1,000 lb horse should be fed 1 lb a day, the amount for a mini is minimal. I feed .25 lb (1/4 lb) right now. I don't get how this feed would be more expensive.

So you are feeding 3 cups a day to a mini. I feed my 1100-1200 lb horses each just a little over 2 cups a day each of the Empower Balance. So your mini, is getting more than my full sized horses, and that is feeding them as per the feeding directions.

Mini feed is $14.25, Enrich is $27.... my guys don't get much Mini, perhaps 1 1/2 cups 2x a day.

I think she was referring to the Mini and pony feed as to the amounts she feeds, but I might be wrong.

So you are feeding 3 cups a day to a mini. I feed my 1100-1200 lb horses each just a little over 2 cups a day each of the Empower Balance. So your mini, is getting more than my full sized horses, and that is feeding them as per the feeding directions.

Yes Chanda, I too believe she was referring to the mini feed. I just added what I did, as a comparison since the question was asking about feed vs ration balancer, and cost etc. was mentioned.

Gotcha, I wasn't sure.

I know when I fed a ration balancer to my minis by weight (1/2# daily per directions) it came to 1-1/3 cups daily (2/3 cup 2x daily). I switched to a different low volume feed, and that was 3/4# daily; my easy keepers really don't need any "bagged feed", so I switched them to a vit/min supplement and they seem to be doing just fine.

Those of you that feed the Purina Miniature Horse and Pony, how much does a cup of it weigh? Trying to figure out, if I want to switch to it or not, so trying to figure out how much I would feed Halo and all of that. Thanks in advance.
default_smile.png

Yes, it's Mini feed. I'm concerned if I would give less of a balancer, they would become destructive since they'll think they aren't getting fed!

I wonder if giving them hay pellets instead would work....hmmm..... they sure would THINK they were getting fed!

Those of you that feed the Purina Miniature Horse and Pony, how much does a cup of it weigh? Trying to figure out, if I want to switch to it or not, so trying to figure out how much I would feed Halo and all of that. Thanks in advance.
default_smile.png
I don't know the Mini/Pony feed specifically, but I've weighed many pelleted feeds and most weigh 5-6 oz per standard dry kitchen cup (seems more are closer to 5 oz than 6 oz); so roughly 3 cups per pound.

Yes, it's Mini feed. I'm concerned if I would give less of a balancer, they would become destructive since they'll think they aren't getting fed!

I wonder if giving them hay pellets instead would work....hmmm..... they sure would THINK they were getting fed!
I've used hay pellets many times to "stretch" a meal, so they think they are getting more; it usually works very well.

Thank you...I did buy a bag of the Purina Mini Horse and Pony today , and you are right, incase anyone else is wondering, that it 1 cup weighs just a tiny bit over 5 oz.
default_yes.gif

Chanda, I normally don't feed "feed" to my horses unless they need it to keep at a good weight. The only reason I am now doing this, is because Whitey foundered this Spring, and Cheyenne is a PRIME candidate for IR. She has many physical signs, but the blood work on both shoed them within "normal" range. I just don't want to take chances, so am now feeding ration balancer, MagRestore and Horseshine each day to all three of them.

Latest posts

Back