Question on bag

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runaway ranch

Reaction score
I've never seen this before and thought I would ask if anyone else has. I have a mare that is due this month and has only one half her bag full. It is tight, hot and full, but the other side is flacid. Anyone ever seen this before?? Should I be worrried?

We had a mare last year

who only bagged up on 1 side

She had a filly and the filly did just fine

her IgG was fine after the first 24 hrs

Our vet said not to worry about it

she never did have milk come in on the other side

But it was odd

But the mare did bag up fine the year before

Thank you, that makes me feel better to know. Last year she had a sweet little filly and no problems at all. Hopefully, all will go well this year also.

I have never heard of that before.

Thanks for passing that on.

I had no idea that could ever happen.
default_new_shocked.gif

Are you sure that she doesn't have mastitis? It would be a good idea to place a call to your vet and ask a few questions just to make sure that everything is OK.

Good Luck!
default_yes.gif

Debbi

I was going to suggest mastitus too. I thought though, with mastitus that there'd already be milk and then it'd get hard and lumpy. Could this be an old case of mastitus, on just the one side. Her filly was ok last yr but are you sure her bag was, maybe while the filly was nursing, she developed it in one side and if you hadn't caught it and treated the mare, I think this is what happens. Even a piece of dirt in the end of the nipple hole can bring on mastitus. I think I'd touch base with my vet to get his opinion.

But I do think she should be ok with plenty of milk in the one side. Good luck.

No, it isn't mastitus, I am familiar with that. She appears to just be "bagging up" on one side. It is the darnest thing. She is frisky and fat and happy, except for that. No mastitus last year, I would have caught it, as I check and clean bags frequently. Last year she had a tiny filly who did real well. I asked the vet, their opinion seems to be until it becomes a problem, don't worry about it. I'll just keep an eye on it & if it begins to look infected or like mastitus, the vet will have to take it seriously.

Latest posts

Back