Question for people who breed....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2minis4us

Reaction score
First off - I am not talking about ALL breeders and I am not condemning anyone.

I am curious about what breeders are thinking now about breeding and selling. Many are selling at reduced rates because of the economy, why keep breeding them ? How can they afford to ?

I see some foals for sale when they are first born for $2500 or more, and by the end of summer they are $1000 or less. Then they are still breeding for next year.

By now everyone should be able to see the trend that has been going on for a few years now.

I think prices are starting to rise again for show quality horses and performance horses or at least holding steady. JMHO.

Because they enjoy it? Breeders who really care about their horses, about improving the breed, and about showing are rarely in it for the money. The same goes for any type of animal. By the time you pay for vet care for the mare and foal, feed, meds, hoof care, supplies, registrations fees, etc you really aren't making any money. So I do not think the reduced rates really bother those who are in it for love. There are also *many* breeders going out of business and selling entire herds. I think it may be because between the economy and the drought, horse keeping, even keeping minis, is getting VERY expensive.

This year I made the decision to stop breeding. The market has been so soft and my mini numbers were at an uncomfortable number for me. I do love the babies but I really hate selling my horses. I've actually added to my number because I took back one of my minis when the new owner ran into financial difficulties. I feel responsible for everything I breed and I have always told my buyers to please let me know if they can't keep their mini any longer. I have gelded my stallion so this is a permanent decision! I do have one last foal coming next year...I just love the cross and couldn't resist going for it one more time! I also enjoy showing and love my geldings for that!

Well said, Sandy. I also feel that the responsibility of bringing any animal into the world, is huge. It doesn't necessarily end, when that animal is sold.

I think when deciding to breed, one should answer several questions.

Am I breeding top quality individuals, or just breeding because I think it is fun to have babies?

Do the sire and dam, truly compliment each other?

Am I breeding, purely because I happen to have a mare or mares and a stallion, regardless of quality?

Am I producing babies, because I'm too lazy to geld my stallion and/or, do not have a secure place to keep the stallion, away from my mares?

Do I have the money for vet bills, should something major happen, during the birth?

Do I have a very reliable waiting list, and/or is my line of Minis well known and much desired in the breed?

Am I willing to keep any animal I produce, well into adulthood, if the perfect home does not come along.

Am I not willing, to dump my animals, on a first come, first served situation, just to get rid of them?

Am I not willing to breed again, if previous animals have not sold?

If I have to have auctions each year, just to get rid of the animals and therefore not be able to investigate where they end up, am I breeding too many?

Am I willing to keep for ever, any dwarfs I might produce if THE perfect home is not found?

Are my horses registered?

Am I breeding, with an eye to the future of the breed and only breeding top quality animals?

Am I willing to geld all colts before sale, who might not end up being stallion quality?

Do I have well written contracts, for all who purchase from me?

Do I keep in touch, with those who purchase from me?

Do I mentor, newcomers to the breed?

So many more questions could be added here, I'm sure.

Lizzie

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why we breed.........

twist & Mekhi 2 central.jpg

Star Time & Kelsey.jpg

"he is just stunning and soooo sweet. Your care,his beautiful condition,his stunning confirmation,his exquisite head and those breath taking eyes and oh the sweetness!! Oh my goodness he is just PERFECT!! Thank you for treating me so special and making me feel like your only buyer and thank you so much for my little dream"...........

You see, I have just made another friend...who thinks it's important to keep her little charges well fed and well groomed.

strike.jpg

And each spring I am blessed beyond compare...in the middle of the night.....

I will be following in Sandy's footsteps very soon - gelding our stallion (also a PtHA Champion) and getting out of breeding. What scares me is that people like us who can answer "yes" to Lizzie's wonderful list of questions are the ones leaving and the ones with "no" answers will keep breeding. I hope that there will still be some breeders like Charlotte left!

TargetsMom, you do so much for miniature horses and are such a wonderful ambassador for the breed. And Charlotte has horses of breathtaking beauty and you can see her love for them.

One thing that might not be politically correct to talk about is that breeding correctly takes money. Takes money to purchase horses that are conformationally correct, takes money to go and show them, takes money to care for them properly and have that vet out right away when there's a problem. Even doing the paperwork costs money; DNA tests, permanent registration costs, hardshipping. Not to mention websites and professional pictures, etc. It all adds up. I found a sign in our feed store the other day "I used to have money and now I have horses" and that about sums it up.

I think really there are many different mini markets and show horses or trained performance horses are still commanding high prices and are selling.

As to why people breed, it's a personal decision and there are probably as many answers as there are breeders.

Sandy and Targetsmom, you are both so correct. We end up feeling saddened, overwhelmed, and get disgusted with what we see, and we know the only difference we truely have any control over is our own. So we throw in the towel, decide how many will be staying forever and geld our stallion(s) that we are keeping. I have always gelded colts before they left, all vaccinations, dental and hoof care was done prior to leaving, it was about doing it right, not about turning a quick profit.

MountainWoman - Thanks so much for the kind words. They mean a lot. We will NOT be getting out of minis if/when we stop breeding and will continue with our 4-H Club as long as we can. I imagine the members might have something to say about us breeding too, because they let us know that is a favorite part of their mini experience. Now, my other problem is my husband who doesn't seem to want to part with any of the minis!!! That makes it hard to sell any of them.

Everyone has very good comments so far ! I like to see this subject brought up so others can stop and think ......

I've been at this for over 20 years with Minis (and with Quarter Horses for many many years before that). "People getting out" is a cyclical thing. EVERY year, even when the economy is booming, people get out of the business for a multitude of reasons that have nothing to do with economy....they are getting too old, illness, or just have found other interests that take too much of their time. That is normal.

If people would take the time to go to AMHR Nationals or an AMHA Regional or AMHR Area show - you would see what everyone should strive for....whether it be the cute fat gelding that takes their children safely around the arena in those youth driving classes, or the snorty, blowing roadster horse driven by the expert driver, or the elegant horses that place in halter, or the very much loved but not quite so elegant one, but is every kid's favorite and excels in showmanship. QUALITY horses, QUALITY care, QUALITY breeding that is well thought out and planned.

But just because it is a much loved horse does not mean it is breeding quality and therein lies the problem......they love "Dumplin" so hey! Let's get a foal out of her! And pretty soon they have a whole bunch of Dumplins that really don't have a market....and you can only keep so many Dumplins because they cost a lot to take care of properly. So where do the surplus Dumplins end up? Hopefully with a home where they will be loved and cared for as well as the original Dumplin, but don't count on it!

Latest posts

Back