Question about farm duck eggs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
We have several domesticated mallard ducks in a large enclosed area that's with our chicken coop. No chickens yet.

Our female ducks have been spitting out eggs every few days in the pen and under the coop. I missed checking for two or three days and went searching......came up with over 20 eggs!

Today I broke 8 of them individually into a small dish to make sure they weren't spoiled and then scrambled them and microwaved them for our dogs. The eggs were obviously fine or I wouldn't have fed them.

Our weather has been around freezing at night and up to 50ishF for day. I've also been told by chicken owners that if you don't wash the eggs, there's a protective coating that helps preserve them. Once you wash them they have to be refridgerated.

My question is, how long are the eggs safe before washing and refridgerating? I'm thinking of using them for US.

If the temperatures aren't too warm during the day, I think they say 5-7 days without refridgerating, but I always use a bit of caution and do 2-3 days. My mom used duck eggs for awhile, she had tested sensetive to chicken eggs, but now she is back to eating our free ranging chicken eggs again.

Latest posts

Back