purina trimax

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
Our stallion is quite underweight due to breeding season and him being a constant pacer. He walks constantly and wears off his weight terribly at this time of year especially.

I have been feeding him a hot mash twice daily, of beet pulp, krunch, a bit of sweet feed and an oat pellet.

It hasn't been doing much good and I found a Purina product call tri max for performance horses.

Does anyone have knowledge of this feed and how much is safe to feed. It has a high protein, fat and fibre content. 12%,12%, 12%

I haven't even heard of it, I tried searching for it and I guess its just a product in Canada. The closest I could find something like this at least in US is Purina's Athlete. But it has 14% fat and protein but only 4% fiber and its a supplement.

To get weight on any horse quickly and safely I feed Purina Strategy & Purina Amplify. Works phenomenal. You might also try feeding the new Purina Miniature Horse & Pony feed (it contains Amplify in in already). I just switched to it for my minis (I have both over-weight and a thinner breeding stallion) and am pleased with the results. I had two thin mares that I put on a orchard/alfalfa pellet (Stable Mix by Elk Grove Milling) along with the Purina Mini & pony feed and within a month they are nice and filled out enough that I had to cut back on the pellets. They also get a meadow grass to much on.

Trimax has been known to be a very hot feed. The hunter/jumper barn I manage won't put their big horses on it because it makes them too hot to ride. I have my minis on Request by Purina. It is the same feed as strategy. I feed 8 cups a day split into two feed. It's a 14% protein feed.

Thank you for that information. I have purchased the Trimax as my stallion is getting so thin this breeding season. Maybe I will check out the Request as well. I have an e-mail in to the Purina people too.

Maybe I could dilute the Trimax with the pelleted oats which has very small % ages in the protein, fat and fibre areas?

You dont say exactly how much you are feeding your boy, but I think you need to get a lot more 'hard' feed into him, epecially as he is running the fences ("a bit of sweet feed and an oat pellet")

Here in the UK we dont necessarily have the same food brands as you do across the pond, but my 28" stallion runs his fences and he gets 8 heaped cups of high fibre cubes and 2 heaped cups of balancer, split between 3 feeds. The field he is in has plenty of grass, should he decide to take a pause and graze instead, and he has ad-lib hay at nights when he's in his stable. He is very fit, but just managing to hold his weight for now.

You are obviously getting good advice here about different brands/types of food, but I do feel that the key is to feed more of a compound product. Sugar beet is great and really good for putting on weight under normal circumstances, but it is not substantial enough for a horse that is working himself to a state of fitness. eg a happy hacker type of horse, or one doing showing etc will easily keep weight on and do its 'work' with sugar beet mixed with his normal feed, but a racehorse/eventer/extreme activity horse will not keep himself fit nor keep weight on when fed a beet based feed.

I hope this helps a little, these boys that run the fences in the breeding season can be quite a worry can't they?

Good luck with your little man.
default_yes.gif

Anna

My stallion just spent his first season in a pasture with mares, he got thin. He is in a stall now, he still paces but we put him on the Mini feed from Purina, he eats it very well and does put the weight back on pretty easy. I like the protein, 13.5% and the fiber 18% but also like that the starch and sugar are much lower than most feeds. I feed him 8 measured cups split into two or three feedings and it works. While he isn't fat, at least he doesn't look like I am starving him. I did find that I need to keep him in a stall though, he is so busy watching the mares and everything outside, he wasn't eatting enough, so now he eats inside and then goes out.

He was in a pasture and was just going downhill fast with his interest in his ladies.

I have him in a small lot now with one mare who tolerates his "busy, busy" kind of attitude.

I am giving them free choice, good, first cut hay, and a warm mash twice a day of beet pulp oat pellets and Krunch along with some molasses sweet feed and canola oil.

This was not doing much for O Hatchee but the mare is in fine condition.

I bought the Purina Trimax today and Castle Rock suggested 6 cups split in the day for two feedings.

I think I will work him up to 3 cups twice a day as I don't want him getting too rich food, too quickly.

I just worry about colics and all the other tummy troubles we can get into
default_no.gif

I do appreciate all the comments and hope I can bring this guy back into good condition. He's getting to be a worry.

I have used the Trimax before on big horses and never had a problem with it making them hot. Even Thoroughbreds. I feed by pound only so not sure how many cups that woud be but the 6 cups a day should be close. It has a yeast culture included in the feed so it helps the gut digest the concentrates better. You can top dress with vegetable oil too with no problem. I give the big horses up to 2 cups per feeding but you have to work them up to that. I'd feed mine up to 1/2 cup per feeding with not problem, I'd think.

Im not familiar with that specific feed, but my gelding is on Ultium Competition, which is PROTEIN 11.7 FAT 12.40 FIBER 18.50

He just came home from the trainer on it. He was being driven 5 days a week to fit to show him, and he really needed a lot of extra fat in his diet to keep weight on him. He looks awesome. As far as being hot, he didnt seem hot at the trainer when I was there for lessons or today. I'll let you know more about that once I work with him a bit more, today when we got home I stalled him since he was already worked this morning.

Back