Pregnant Stud?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merogsrha

Reaction score
P2210938.JPG

It's pretty sad when my rescue stud has a bigger belly than the pregnant mare! He has been wormed since his got here, and is only getting a small bit of mini horse and pony feed with grass hay. Can anyone tell me why he has this size of a belly, and how to try and tone him down a little??

P2210936.JPG

I don't claim to be an expert on this but it could be from lack of protein. Try feeding alfalfa instead of grass hay. If he was very wormy he may need an extra dose of wormer.

I was honestly thinking that was going to be the first thing- protein. Now, I am FAR from a nutrition expert- but more protein comes from alfalfa, correct? **ETA- Sorry, had a total brain fart between reading your reply and typing my own LOL! I see you clearly wrote more alfalfa, less grass hay
default_smile.png

Also ETA, He is scheduled for his second dose of wormer this weekend
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If his care has been less than stellar you might try giving him a probiotic and then add brewers yeast to his feed. Also when you say a small bit of mini/pony feed I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I don't think you will get good results from feeds unless they are fed according to the amount to body weight instructions given by the manufacturer, so I would try to get a good idea of his best weight and then weigh his feed and hay.

Protein does not have to come from alfalfa , it can, but you can also use a ration balancer like enrich 32 and still feed Timothy or whatever type of hay you give already.

Reignmaker - I guess I should be more specific- he is getting 2 cups of the Purina Mini horse & Pony feed.

Carolyn - Thank you for the tip! I am going to look into that now! While I have no looked for Alfafa hay, I have not seen any advertised in my area. And the alfalfa hay at TSC is about $20 for what looks like a very small bale.

Reignmaker - I guess I should be more specific- he is getting 2 cups of the Purina Mini horse & Pony feed.
I can't really comment on whether or not that is the correct amount since I have never fed that particular feed. All of my horses get a ration balancer which is low starch and high protein along with a mixed grass (timothy, brome and orchard grass mix) hay and my struggles with bellies and excess weight went away when I began feeding the ration balancer and weighing their feed/hay. This particular feed also contains brewers yeast which I believe helps a great deal.

I cannot say what amount he should get of that particular grain since I have never used it but two cups doesn't seem like much. Is that once or twice per day? I feed a 14% pellet and oats--for a rescue horse with a big belly I would be feeding alfalfa or alfalfa pellets/cubes and at least one liter of grain ( half oats half pellets ) twice a day. The pellets I use contain brewers yeast and they work wonders on a big belly

I will up the amount he gets per everyones recommendations
default_smile.png
My thought behind it was along the lines of how can he need that much grain with that belly?!?! I was 'taught' how to feed horses from my grandpa, who believe no horse was ever too 'fat', so he pumped the sweet feed and oats to his horses. It actually was a factor in the loss of his mare (who was carrying around a belgians body on arab legs) Trying to avoid that scenario, I was limiting Buddy's grain to enough to give him a yummy breakfast, but not add to his belly
default_smile.png
Now I know that it works backwards!

I am going to town today and will swing by the feed store to see what I can find. Below are feeds I know are at the feed store (TSC is the only place in my area to get feed
default_sad.png
What is everyons take on using the Dumor Equistage feed instead of the mini horse/pony?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/dumor-reg-equistages-horse-feed-50-lb--5109922

http://www.tractorsupply.com/premium-alfalfa-cubes-5050157

http://www.tractorsupply.com/standlee-hay-certified-premium-alfalfa-timothy-grass-cube-40-lb--5128099

http://www.tractorsupply.com/producer-s-pride-reg-alfalfa-pellets-50-lb--5050165 (this I've never seen, but am going to ask them about it today)

Processed feeds are called "grain" but they are not the "grain" of the "old days" where you fed corn/wheat/barley to a plow or carriage horse.

They have vitamins added plus a base of beet pulp or alfalfa or something, and yes some processed grain... But to get any benefit should be fed as per the manufacture. Ration balancer is the exception... And those are usually fed by just a cup or two, as they don't always have the carbs/protein/fiber of processed feeds and grain.

I agree, switch him over to alfalfa and that belly will disappear. Please keep in mind I would not free feed alfalfa but would feed it twice a day as a regular meal. I dont think he is getting enough protein either.

Any of the Standlee hay products are good products, but their cubes tend to be hard (not as hard as the brand I can currently get, but harder than those Diane gets), so probably should be soaked (if you can readily break them with your hands, then you might be able to feed them dry, otherwise soak).

The alfalfa pellets are probably just fine; not this particular brand, but I've fed hay pellets with no issues.

I'd probably stick with the Purina mini/pony feed over the Dumor product, but then I prefer not to feed corn to my horses. And it looks like the mini/pony feed might have slightly lower feeding rates, which means the cost per feeding is probably similar (despite the difference in price/bag). [i did notice the mini/pony is slightly lower in protein than the Dumor, but if you feed the recommended amount, you'll probably find that he'll pick up and look like he should with time.]

Latest posts

Back