Popping Leg??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minishowgirl

Reaction score
My 5 year old mini has his left hind leg popping the last 3 times ive brought him out. Hes never had a leg injury. Hes not sore, stiff, lame, and theres no heat in his leg. Once we get to his pasture the popping has usually stopped. Is this something I should be worried about?? I cant do 24/7 turnout because there are some animals that would love to snack on him. He has a nice big stall to move in though.

Sounds like it's his stifle. The more freedom he has the better, keep him trimmed regurlary and not too long.

Have you always had him and has never done this? Stifle issues in miniatures are sadly common and is genetic.

This morning I brought him out and there was no popping. This is something that just started a few days ago.

My barrel horse has done this her whole life. My sports med vet said it started out as ligaments brushing against that hock joint. She said it was nothing to worry about but with years of ware and tare from her being a barrel horse I would need to inject her hocks at some point. A vet would be able to better diagnose this.

A popping stifle IMO isn't as serious compared to a locking stifle. The best thing you can do for him is to let him have plenty of room to run. I understand that you have predators out but is their any way you can set up a run from the stall with excellent fencing? When they are cooped up for period of time they start to get stiff and that's when you end up having stifle problems. Another thing you can do is some exercise. The more exercise the better, the popping may get worse before it gets better, but I had a gelding who had a popping stifle that showed up in exercise during tight circles, and really noticeable when he started training to drive. I almost gave up but the popping did stop and now he is a all-around performance horse. Also make sure the back feet are trimmed and not left too long. If the toes are too long and it makes the horse harder to break over it can lead to stifle problems as well.

He has a big stall so he has room to move around and hes out from around 8 am to 8 or 9 pm. Im going to try putting his hay in little piles in different places so he has to move around a bit. His hay and water is all in the same corner so he really doesnt have to move for anything. I wil see what I can do about turnout.

Oh and he has 2 half brothers and a sister that have no stifle problems. I know that his sire and dam dont have stifle problems either.

I have 2 horses that did this, and they both had popping in the left hind too. Its was a year ago so i dont exactly remember what i did (i know thats bad, but so many other things with them have come up, i forgot this thing lol) It popped when they did a slow trot. We did something for Jazzy because it was consistent, something like excersise or something and he hasnt popped since. Devil did the other day, but it popped like 3 times and it hasnt come back. I wonder if this is hereditary? they are both related. Jazzys sire is a full or half brother to Devil, i have to look at his papers. Does anyone know if the popping is hereditary???

He did not pop this morning so im hopeful that it was just something strange that happened. I might have my vet out just to make sure though. Its funny because the day he started popping I noticed a bad bruise on his hoof.....

Bailey neither sire of your two horses or their Dams have any stifle issues. Make sure you keep their feet trimmed regularly.
They havent popped latley, so thats good. Besides the hoof trimming, is there anything i can do there on the spot if i hear the popping noise again like put them in the round pen or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
His left hind leg. But there was no popping this morning after being stalled all night. It doesnt sound like its comming from his stiffle, it sounds more like its from his hock or ankle. Only at the walk and not every step. He doesnt drag his leg at all, no heat and is a happy horse. Even with the popping hes still in a rush to get to the pasture and once he gets there its gone. He has no problem lifting his feet and he drives and jumps without a problem.

When I have my vet out again ill have him take a look if its still popping.

Does anyone know if the popping is hereditary???
I know my gelding's siblings had popping stifle issues so yes I feel it can be.

I don't think it hurts them but can affect him if he was shown and this happened. It sounds like your guy's case is very mild and still think if he had more freedom and exercise he will do just fine.

Would you recomend putting him on a joint supplement or using a liniment??

I put mine on Cetyl-M not sure if it made a difference or not, he's actually not on it right now and he's doing fine without it. I've also heard and he is doing great on it that some big trainers recommend MoorMan's minerals for something such as this.

Could this be caused from him not having his hooves done until he was a year and a half?? Heres a picture of him the day we got him. The farrier was out as quick as possible for him.

579975_340051702753800_1076374931_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back