Playing around with Photo Shop

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dona

Reaction score
I've been wanting to learn this for years.....but just never had the time to spend figuring it out. Well....I took a few hours today & played around with my Photo Suite program until I figured out how to do "cutouts".

(No one ever accused me of being a quick study!)
default_rolleyes.gif

They aren't good.....very amatuer'ish looking. But, I am so tickled I finally figured it out!
default_biggrin.png
If anyone has any "tips" to give me on how to outline a subject SMOOTHLY to make them look less "cut-out"...I would appreciate it!
default_yes.gif

This is Button....I imposed her photo in a background photo I had.

ButtonForest.jpg

This is Apache in a beautiful pond/garden scene.

ApacheFallColorsWater.jpg

Here is Lacy running thru the forest.

LacyFallForestLeaves.jpg

And here is one I think is kinda cool.....Apache as a baby meeting himself as an adult!
default_wacko.png

ApacheMeetsApacheFall.jpg

Awe. Awesome Job Honestly it takes alot of effort and precision to cut the hrose out perfect . I know it takes me a while
default_smile.png

`Dona, I think you done very well and I love those background pictures with all those beautiful warm colors.
default_yes.gif
Mary

lookin good!!! very cute!!!

as for cutting out, are you using a selection tool or an eraser? selection tools are quicker and less painstakingly detailed, but erasers are much better to get a clean cut. zoom in when you do it too, much easier. If you use a selection tool though, for any part of it, make sure the setting is on anti-aliased, because that smoothes out rough edges so nothing looks pixely. and, if you have a blur tool, take that around the edges once when you'r done, will help it fit in more.

I have plenty of examples if you want.
default_biggrin.png
thanksgiving break so i'm LIVING in my photoshop program lol.

oh, here's where i learned: emblas tutorials cropping background and cutting main/tails

it's actually for the sim game Horseland
default_rolleyes.gif
but it's still very educational. Some things aren't the same because she has a fancy paint program. I have adobe photoshop cs3. not sure what yours is or what functions it has, but it's good tips anyways.

yours are beautiful, love your background choices!!!! and of course the horses in them.
default_wub.png
great job.
default_aktion033.gif

That's your 1st attempt at this?
default_new_shocked.gif

You would never know, they look fantastic!

Oh, that last one is a mind-bender!
default_wacko.png
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wink.png
I love the idea of older meets younger, way cool. Now you've given me ideas for a whole new way to do before-and-after shots-- nose to nose in one photo!
default_new_shocked.gif

You did great Dona. One thing that will make any pasted scene like that look more realistic is adding a shadow from your horse over the imposed landscape. It makes them fit in much more naturally. You could add Apache's reflection in the pond for instance.

Good job!

Leia

default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

It IS addicting,,,,,,,, hahaha

You have done a GREAT job! Your photos are just BEAUTIFUL!

Some programs have a magnetic lasso that makes it easier...

I think, with some pictures.. you can slightly blur the edge of the horse

and ad a shadow, might help. The first pic of Button... so neat
default_smile.png

The one of Apache,,, that background picture is unbelieveably gorgeous!!!!!!!

I use Paint.net, that you can download FREE. (www.getpaint.net)

The neat thing about it is that it has a forum with lots of help (that somebody like

me can understand :DOH! ) and it also has lots of new stuff all the time.

But it does take lots of trial an error to figure out....

Kepp showing us your finals! I LOVE'em and seeing others imaginations!

~Sandy

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.....I can use all the help I can get!
default_rolleyes.gif

Alex, I am using a selection tool "freehand", and I zoom in to make it easier. I don't think I have an "anti-aliased" setting.
default_unsure.png
I am using the Photosuite Platinum program.

Never even thought about using "eraser"....will have to try that!
default_yes.gif

Those are really pretty.

I too have been playing with my photo shop,,, have been trying to also get the shadows of the horses as it seems to anchor them to the ground.
default_biggrin.png

Your cut out looks good to me!

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Oh Dona, now you are addicted, and watch out you are doing excellent, that is my worse thing cannot do cut outs, so I just mask them on my collage, now i know who to call...
default_saludando.gif

The way we all are going, we are not going to need proffessionals....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back