pics of your roans

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an FYI to all of you who are curious about whether your horse carries the roan gene. I got a confirmation from UC Davis that they CAN do a DNA test for roan
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
So I guess I will be sending in some hair samples on my stallion to see if he carries roan or if he is just silver bay! Good info to know -- thank you to Lucky C Acres for mentioning this to me!

Stacy

Hi Stacy, how much dose it cost per test? I would like to maybe concider testing a few of mine if its not to bad of a price tag
default_smile.png

THANKS!

My son's Silver Bay Roan B sized Shetland mare, keep kicking myself in the backside for selling her. Was almost 12 years ago now.

sonshetland.jpg

Our bay roan gelding "Denni"

DSC_7046web.jpg

I love Jamie and Blessings, gorgeous girls! If either of you ever get tired of looking at them, send them my way
default_wink.png

Here is our roan mare, Bdazzled BB Kings Tequila Sunrise. She is sired by Bar B King Buckeroo
default_wub.png

tequilay.jpg

And this was my special girl, Peach Valley Copenhagen Angel, a silver bay roan...Sadly, we lost her, and her filly, in a foaling dystocia last winter
default_no.gif

00001%20Berry.jpg

Yay, another photo thread I can participate in
default_saludando.gif

Here is my red roan filly, Little Kings Bonniebelle Buckeroo. Belle is a 3 year old Buckeroo daughter and was to be shown this year and last but our goats ate her tail
default_no.gif
... which is growing back VERY slowly.... So she'll hopefully be shown next year after her 2012 foal sired by Sparrow is weaned. I am hoping she will add some nice blue roans to our program over the years
default_wub.png
She has gotten very "roany" since these pics were taken, you can't tell in the pics but she also has two unconnected strips on her face. I always thought roans didn't have white on the face but I guess they do
default_yes.gif

Bonnie2.jpg

Belle_RSideA_2_22_10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She has gotten very "roany" since these pics were taken, you can't tell in the pics but she also has two unconnected strips on her face. I always thought roans didn't have white on the face but I guess they do
default_yes.gif
They can have normal face marking (star, strip, blaze, etc), but the "ticking" white (intermixed white hairs that make roan) shouldn't be on the face in a true roan (but they likely will be with sabino roaning).

This is our 19yr old stallion NFCs Candy Dandy. He's a bay roan pinto with a silver gene. His pinto markings are under his tail and mane. The mane and tail are silver in color.

IMG_4474.JPG

We had 15 foals by Dandy and the colors were:

4 bay pintos

3 bay roans

3 bay roans w/silver gene

2 silver bay pintos

2 black w/socks

1 silver dapple pinto (mare was silver dapple)

Total of 10 fillies and 5 colts

In winter he's red

danwinsolice.jpg

In March he sheds out his red winter coat...down to a silver spring layer.

I'd clipped his head/neck couple weeks before this pic...he likes to watch me in the arena.

dandygate10.JPG

Love all the roans...!!!

Roans are my fav!!

Here is a picture of FFF From The Heart Feel The Breeze, she is a red roan pinto.

WindyMaggie3.jpg

Latest posts

Back