Overweight mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LB27

Reaction score
I have two miniature horses that are 3 years old. They are kept on pasture year round (although the grass doesn't grow well) and fed grass hay along with Nutrene Safe Choice Special Care grain. They have huge bellies! I'm looking for advice on how to get them looking in better shape. Also, which wormers do you rotate between for your miniatures? Thanks.

I don't know much. I am pretty new. I have only had horses for a little over a year now. From what I am hearing that big round belly is called a hay belly, in many cases. There are many people on here that will give you excellent advice on how to fix that. I will have to watch your thread bc I have an old one who seems to keep a round belly too! I don't really mind bc mine are just pets. I only show them to our passerbys on the road! Lol

IMHO there is a lot going on with horses that have bellies. An overweight horse will be fat all over. Not just a belly.

Possibly your hay is not good forage. There is a lot of wonderful information about how the gut works. We simplistically think hay goes in and goes out, but more is going on than that.

Do they get exercise? Lack of muscle tone can cause some of the issue, I believe. If they are not getting enough protein, then they can lack muscle tone.

Have their teeth been checked? A large part of the horse digestion begins with grinding the food.

Have you had a fecal exam done to determine if they have a parasite load? That is not always the ideal way to tell, but it gives you a starting place. Using wormers, imo, depends on your location and situation. My horses are on rotated pasture and do not go to shows, so I feel their exposure to parasites is minimal. I have them checked twice a year, fall and spring. Usually they are only wormed every other year! I feel a wormer is more potent if given less frequently. A wormer works not by killing the parasite, but by administering a neuro toxin that paralyzes the parasite, which causes it to release its hold and be expelled. The dosage is designed to be enough to affect the parasite without harming the host. The parasites die after they leave the host. I always clean up manure in my lots.

You can search this forum for lots of information about your topic.

So good of you to ask questions and be concerned about the horses in your care! We are always learning.

Agree with Marsha......that you might want to check several things. Exercise is important.....You don't need to force it on them, but giving them plenty of room to trot around. Worming is also important. (Have a fecal test done first before worming so you know if they even need it or what to worm FOR.) And protein content in their diet is a biggie. Check your ingredient tag on your grain bag. We like 14% protein. Also, knowing how rich your hay is --- your extension office can help with that.

How big are your minis? And, how much grain and hay do you give them? [so many are given the advice that minis get fat on air, so in turn their minis aren't fed enough for their size and needs. They actually need a decent protein level in their diet, which the Safe Choice should provide, if you are feeding the right amount for their size, and if their hay is good.]

Have they shed off their winter hair, yet? If not, put your hands on them and feel through their coats, do you feel ribs? Do you feel spine or hips? Their woolie winter coats can really hide their actual condition, and make them look like they have a belly when they don't (just fluffy hair on some).

Latest posts

Back