old time shetland tack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCshamusmom

Reaction score
and the durango and cisco kid.... you know, the wonderful silver decorated stuff the (ahem) senior generation saw on the silver screen every saturday....

Does anybody out there collect such tack or have examples of it? I have one really cute studded pony saddle circa 1963 with a red seat and nickel spots all over the edges of the skirts and the fenders, and on the stirrup hoods.

I plan on having my daughter make a matching bridle and breast plate for it. I grew up lusting after those things
wub.gif
, and had to wait till i was too old to ride in them to afford them! I will probably keep it as a decoration for my retirement home!

I'd love to see photos of your old timey silver decorated (or nickel!) stuff! or just tell me about it.
aktion033.gif

I have an old harness with over 600 spots on it. I'd guess it's from the 60's also. It is so cute, but it's too big for any of my girls. Even though it gets no use, I just love it. I'll be out taking pictures of a saddle I'm selling today and I'll get it out and take some pictures of it. I will say that all of those spots makes it a begger to clean.

all those spots make it hard to clean.... yep, maybe thats one of the reasons silver trim is not quite as popular anymore!

John V. at Red Rock Tack in Monroe, Iowa (Yep, same guy as the Red Rock pony prefix) can sometimes get some of the fancier reproduction tack. A friend has a western bridle they bought from him that has all the spots to match their older saddle.
smile.gif

my daughter works with studs, spikes, etc to customize leather jackets and punk jewelry, motorcycle stuff, etc, and will be able to make mine for me, but it is nice to know that others still appreciate it! (nostalgic
yes.gif
)

A million years ago (OK close to 30 yrs ago) my first pony saddle was black with silver square decorations all over it, including the stirrup hoods...I will have to dig into the photo achives to see if I can find a pic to scan and post...

I loved that saddle...I think my dad bought it an an auction for next to nothing...I don't remember what happened to it. I think it went with my pony when I sold her..

Wow...siver/nickel trimmed saddles...I haven't seen a really nicely done up one in years!!

Latest posts

Back