New colt! What color am I?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluewater Minis

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We had a bouncing baby boy born here on 5/22/07, and I'm curious what color you folks think he could be. His dam is registered as a solid gray, but visually is a medium shade of cocoa with same color mane & tail that sun bleaches. She has no silver shading anywhere on her, but when freshly clipped shows faint sabino type patches of white on her forehead, jaws, and body. She has brown eyes. Her dam was a palomino pinto, and her sire is registered as a dapple gray. Six of my mare’s 8 foals have had blue eyes from brown-eyed sires. When bred to other stallions, my mare has produced:

* solid cremello (by a palomino pinto sire)

* smoky black pinto (by a black pinto sire; possibly smoky black??)

* palomino pinto (by a solid buckskin sire)

* a colt that was this same cocoa color that she is (by a sorrel pinto sire, Spunky MS)

The only exception to the dilute foals she's produced is a solid bright chestnut filly with white socks from a sorrel pinto sire.

My new colt's sire was registered as a silver dapple pinto, but after maturing is actually a silver chestnut pinto (w/brown eyes too). The same combination of this colt’s sire and dam has previously produced a perlino pinto (w/blue eyes, of course) and a buckskin pinto.

So, here are the pics taken on his birthday several hours after he was born...and, yes, he has blue eyes!

Koquets_2007_colt-284x196.jpg

What color am I?
default_wink.png
:

With the cream gene coming from his dam, you might have a smokey black. The best way to tell would be by having him tested.

Congratulations on the cute little guy!

MA

Congratson that cute boy! Just by looking he could be smokey blk or just black. You cant really tell by the birth color.

If the sire were really a chestnut he would not

a)show Silver as it does not show on Red.

b)produce a double dilute foal

I suggest from the picture that the sire is a Smoky Silver Black- he actually looks like a Silver Bay , I suppose he could be a dark Silver Buckskin but he is not typical of the colour and i is impossible to say form one picture anyway.

More pictures of the foal would help- preferably not clipped!!!

Also more pictures of the sire and dam.

Although one dilute of ream is not supposed to show on Black it odes seem to in Minis where there are so many colour combinations.

If he were to be Silver + Cream for example it would /could show and also inhibit the expression of Silver.

I would guess that he carries cream as does his dam, so you might want to test him to know for sure.

Welcome to the Forum, Lisa!
default_smile.png

:aktion033: Congrate's Lisa!!

What a very pretty baby!! I am not one to ask for color questions...... but looks like a smokey black!

Congrats Lisa, I would say Smokey black.. How is Topper doing..JANE

Thanks, everyone! I suspected that you would say that he's a smokey black or black. I'll have to take some new pics of him and see if you still agree now that he's two weeks old tomorrow and is starting to change color. Although his muzzle is now dark, the rest of his coloring is starting to look more like his dam's rather than the silvery/smokey black color of his newborn photo I posted. So, unless you all think his dam is a smokey black, we might all be wrong in the end.
default_wink.png
: Hmmmmm, kinda fun 'unwrapping' these kinds of presents! I'll try to clip him soon...

Thanks, Becky! There's alot of interesting people here on the forum, and it's neat to read everyone's experiences and opinions, even if we don't all agree.

Hi Jane, Topper's doing great and loving his ladies! Can't wait to see what he produces for us next year.
default_wub.png
: Thanks again for parting with him!

Latest posts

Back