Need some help asap dandy got out and into some dog food

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike K

Reaction score
Amanda has been sick the last couple of days. She went out about 11 to talk to dandy and he had gotten out of the fence. he didnt go any where and she walked right up and lead him back into the yard. He opened the gate which is not a easy task. It downed on me about 1 hr ago that the the dog food was right out side the fence so I called here and asked if there was any left. she said there was not. My dog never eats all of his food as it is a large bowl. I have no way of knowing how much he ate but the bowl holds about 3 or 4 times what dandy gets feed a day. The dog food is high protein 27% and 15%fat. I just got home and checked his feet they are not warm at all. But I am very concerned. If they where even slightly warm I would start running water over them.

Please what should I do?

It has been a while how long before singes set in. I will not feed him to night but would it be a good idea to work him out to work off the excess food he ate.

Mike

My father-in-law has a mare at our place that loves dog food. If we pull her out to the front porch of the barn to do her hooves she scans for the dog food bowl. She has never eaten a whole bowl but the only side effect when she ate about half of the dish full was horrible smelly gas. No one wanted to be around her for about 24 hours.

I would be delighted to sleep in the stall with him if that is the only effect. I have no way of knowing how much food was in the bowl. I keep checking and there is no singe that his feet are even slightly warm. He is acting fine. I really feel stupid because every time I looked up for the last 3 days he has been eying that gate. I new what he was thinking just didn't ever dream he would get it open.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't worry to much, if he had eaten the whole bag then I would worry. Those little devils can cause use so much worry at times
default_laugh.png

I am not going to give him any feed tonight but what about hay. Should I not let him have any hay? Or should I just carry on like nothing happen. It has been a while and there are no singes at all of anything being wrong.

I am going to be a nerves nelly for the nest day or so.

Mike

I'd give him his hay, but skip the hard feed (grain, pellets, whatever you feed other than hay).

Mine like cat food, and scarf it up any chance they get.
default_rolleyes.gif
[barn cats, mean there is cat food in the barn.]

I agree with above............Give him his hay and skip anything else.

I doubt there will be a problem. But always better safe than sorry. We have a fellow here that when we were showing him would raid all sorts of things........He's eaten dog/cat dry food, hamburgers, hot dogs, people's birthday cakes, and candy.

He never colicked and is now a pasture pet and into his 20's........

thanks for the input every one. You are making me fill much better. I out him up in his stall with fresh hay but no feed. I am just glad Amanda has been sick. Well that didn't sound right. If she had been at work she wouldn't have seen that he got out. I dont get home tell after 6 so he would have had at least 7hr to get down the road and we might not have ever found him. There are a lot of very thick woods around some that are a couple of thousand acres. I have fixed the gate so there is no way he can get it open at all.

Mike

dog food is a lot grain by products and some meat/bone by products. I don't think there is a lot of danger in a bowl full. But I would make sure he doesn't down 5 lbs or more.

I wouldn't worry to much. My dwarf has raided the dog dish a time or two and he is just fine.

My little filly ate a half a bowl of meow mix last month.

She hasn't stopped purring yet............
default_saludando.gif

A friend of mine almost lost a filly because she ate cat food. I don't remember exactly what she told me, but it was something about the cat food nearly destroyed the filly's kidneys. (or liver?)

It was years ago and I wish I could remember. But I do know to be careful about horses eating dog or cat food.

Hope your boy is OK Mike. It doesn't sound like he ate that much.

For now he seams to be doing fine. He is a bit mad at me for not feeding him when I put him up tonight. Amanda feeds him before she goes to work. I let him out in the morning and then we put him up at night. He then gets feed again. When I put him up he went strieght to the food bowl and found nothing. He wasn't very happy and didn't mind letting me know. I know he doesn't have a clue why. wish I new how to say this is what you get for getting out of the fence and eating something your not supposed to in horse talk.

Mike

The only thing that is in cat food that is not in dog food is ash. Cat's need ash for some reason. My vet just said to watch and not let my dog eat too much of it as he would rather have the cat's food and the cats like the dog food---now go figure since they are made by the same company. Ash can damage dog's kidneys.

So when the cat's get through eating their bowls get put up so Little Man can't eat out of them.

As for your horse--he should be fine, just like others have said, give him hay for today and back to normal tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back