Need editing software for Sony

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Hey guys, I broke my camcorder over the holidays so Mr. Retiement was nice enough to surprise me with a brand new one, a Sony. Problem I am having is Sony is not compatiable with Windows Movie Maker so I need an editing program that will work. I do have a converters, but honestly when you convert a movie, to get into movie maker, it looses a lot of quality so I don't want to do that. I need a editing program which I can be able to splice, add music and effects, I want to add my own music, not pick from a list provided and also be able to do a voice over etc. In other words, I need it to be just like Windows Movie Maker. Sony came with a program but you cannot add any audio at all so I went out and bought Roxio but it has no audio either and wants me up upgrade to another version that does. So before I throw any more money away, do you have any recommenations?

Difficult to offer suggestions without knowing file format or camcorder model but sounds like you’ve plunked yourself down in the middle of a muddle of competing technology manufacturers (Do you remember Sony Betamax and VHS?)

Off the top of my head…

Safest Bet:

Sony Vegas [Expensive]

Safe Bet:

Adobe [Very expensive]

Crap Shoots:

Roxio, Nero, Corel

There’s a few others, but can’t remember the names. You may encounter problems with all of them, so I’d be looking at their support before buying.

Comments:

--- Optimum would be to get Movie Maker working since you like it (which might be a possibility but can’t offer suggestions without knowing camcorder/file format, operating system and Movie Maker version.) By the way, loss of quality may not be the converter but a limitation in Movie Maker.

--- If you like your software to last and be supported: Corel is busily buying up video editors. I like Corel (used various products for years) but they have a reputation for lousy support. Corel bought Roxio early last year; not sure if they’ll continue it; they’re keeping the product line separate and already have two other video editor lines. So you might upgrade Roxio and find it either gone or consolidated in a year or two.

---You can download a fully functional, 30 day trial version of Corel VideoStudio Pro X5 which claims support for some Sony formats (full version $50 in the box.) Proceed with caution, some Corel products do funky things and there’s lots of people complaining about their support, so if it does something to your system you may have to back out of it on your own.

---Audio is a whole ‘nother problem. …again, can’t offer suggestions, too little info. But Sony sure does love copyright protection.

Edited to Add: I had a nagging little thought in the back of my brain and just did a quick Google. Pinnacle Studio. Used to have a good reputation. Corel bought that last July.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you are so correct and audio is not included in most. I finally gave up and returned the Sony and now have a JVC.

Latest posts

Back