My BIG girl going for the Mini boy's.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taylor Jo

Oh this is to funny I just had to share it. My biggy mare came into season and she's chasing around my 3 geldings and loving on them and doing her thing for them and plain just won't leave any of them alone all because of that. They keep running away. My dominate gelding nips her on the nose and walks away and she just keeps following him and pestering him. My 34" yearling she was rubbing all over his body and he was trying to eat and poor thing he didn't know what to think when she about "knocked" him over with her aggressive rubbing....... My 30" when she gets near him he takes off and tries to get away and she tries to sneak up on him.

I NEVER seen a mare act so aggressive and loving before unless it was just before she accepts the stallion. Cracks me up.

Anybody else got biggy's mixed in w/ their mini's?????????

Anything I need to be careful of, they have their own stalls at night so don't share food, except my yearlings their togather cause I ran out of room...... Ya know how it goes. TJ

Last edited:
HaHa, that sounds funny, can you get a video of it, I would love to see it
default_laugh.png

Just, if she continues to be agressive, I would seperate them in the pasture, maybe step in posts and some elctric rope/tape.

We have over twenty miniatures, and over twenty 'big' horses. I would never ever put them in together. Even a playful kick or, being knocked over by an in-heat mare, could really cause some damage. A lot of people do, and they are lucky. I know a lot of people that keep minis in with big horses as a companion, but to me, especially with what we have invested in our horses, it is not worth the risk. There are a lot of stories out there where a mini and a big horse have lived together for years with no issue, than just one time they get kicked, and they are dead.
default_no.gif

Oh this is to funny I just had to share it. My biggy mare came into season and she's chasing around my 3 geldings and loving on them and doing her thing for them and plain just won't leave any of them alone all because of that. They keep running away. My dominate gelding nips her on the nose and walks away and she just keeps following him and pestering him. My 34" yearling she was rubbing all over his body and he was trying to eat and poor thing he didn't know what to think when she about "knocked" him over with her aggressive rubbing....... My 30" when she gets near him he takes off and tries to get away and she tries to sneak up on him.
I NEVER seen a mare act so aggressive and loving before unless it was just before she accepts the stallion. Cracks me up.

Anybody else got biggy's mixed in w/ their mini's?????????

Anything I need to be careful of, they have their own stalls at night so don't share food, except my yearlings their togather cause I ran out of room...... Ya know how it goes. TJ
While that sounds funny and while she is not in season I am sure she is fine with your Minis....I personally would NEVER put a big horse with a Mini....Even in play or having a "hair up their azz" for whatver reason, it can easily lead to a hurt or dead horse.

I am just going to agree with what the others have already said. There is no way I would ever put our 4 arabs or 1 saddlebred in with our 36 minis. All it would take is one kick, even a playful mood type of kick, or so many other things.. from a biggie to do some real serious damage to your minis, as cute as this playful rubbing might seem it sure wouldnt take much for a 1,000 lb horse to knock over and possible step on a 250 lb mini. Its not worth the risk your taking, all it takes is one kick, and yes, you could have a dead mini, even with the gentlest of the biggies.

It always suprises me when people state that they wont put a mini in with big horses. Now I wouldnt put a 30" in w/a 17hh horse. However, putting a 36" in with a 14hh isnt a big deal. Having a herd of mares with babies is really no different. One kick and no baby. If they all respect each other and leave one another alone, then fine. BUT, if there is harrasment or general anoyance, then as with any horses that act this way, they need to be seperated.

When our mini ran away from his home, to ours ( hence he is now ours LOL) he L O V E D our ol gelding. It was THE cutest thing in the world to see Mini and Indy standing on the hill overlooking their domain. Indy being 1300lbs and 16hh and Mini at about 33"s and thinking he was 1300lbs LOL. We called them Fat Bas**** and MIni-Me.
default_rolleyes.gif
Indys speeds were slow, slower and OMG that turtle is passing us!! But we still gave Mini an out, there was a section of fence that he could come through that the others couldnt follow.

Im sure there are lots of biggies that love the minis and minis that would love to hang with the biggies but.....they are called accidents for a reason. Even good times can turn bad accidently.

Heidi

I don't think its funny at all.

These are animals and they don't understand sometimes that size does matter so it is up to you as a responsible horse owner to make those decisions for them.

I first learned about this early on way before minis. I had a wonderful 44" pony named Frosty and his best buddy was a 14 hand horse named Tory. Best buddies for years until one day while playing, Tory bucked up and kicked Frosty in the side of the head. Frosty had grand mull seizures and was nearly killed over that episode.

I would never in a million years expose a big horse to a mini.

Bad, bad, bad, and just not funny.

It always suprises me when people state that they wont put a mini in with big horses. Now I wouldnt put a 30" in w/a 17hh horse. However, putting a 36" in with a 14hh isnt a big deal. Having a herd of mares with babies is really no different. One kick and no baby. If they all respect each other and leave one another alone, then fine. BUT, if there is harrasment or general anoyance, then as with any horses that act this way, they need to be seperated.When our mini ran away from his home, to ours ( hence he is now ours LOL) he L O V E D our ol gelding. It was THE cutest thing in the world to see Mini and Indy standing on the hill overlooking their domain. Indy being 1300lbs and 16hh and Mini at about 33"s and thinking he was 1300lbs LOL. We called them Fat Bas**** and MIni-Me.
default_rolleyes.gif
Indys speeds were slow, slower and OMG that turtle is passing us!! But we still gave Mini an out, there was a section of fence that he could come through that the others couldnt follow.
"However, putting a 36" in with a 14hh isnt a big deal. Having a herd of mares with babies is really no different. One kick and no baby"

I'm sorry...but i just have to say...there is a HUGE difference between the force and size of a kick of a 1200 lb horse, and that of a 250lb mare.

I'm actually one who's done some mixing of my minis and my elderly bigs. For me, it worked out fine, and I would do it again with those particular horses. I never felt that I was taking more risk with doing that than people that choose to breed their minis. . .

However, a young "big" mare, in season - I wouldn't be doing that kind of mixing.

There are a lot who do mix and have never had any problems, though.

It always suprises me when people state that they wont put a mini in with big horses. Now I wouldnt put a 30" in w/a 17hh horse. However, putting a 36" in with a 14hh isnt a big deal. Having a herd of mares with babies is really no different. One kick and no baby.
I to have always thought that it does depend on the type of pasture or space you have as well.

keeping stallions together in a bachelor herd can be deadly yet many people do it it and say it works just fine. I say like anything it works fine until it doesnt

Our 30 inch mini used to literally climb thru the rails (a very tight squeeze for him) so that he could get in with our 17 hand T/B the mini loved the big horse the big horse not so much. He never did anything bad or mean but realized quickly the mini was coming in to eat his food
default_wacko.png

If ever a mini escaped at night (into the T/B pen( you would find him outside in the corner hiding from the mini.

I agree with Lisa. It all depends on the horses and the space thier turned out on. The minis I bought were kept with big horses, and my mare would chase around the big qaurter horses, So I dont think Taylor Jo meant for this to be a debate, I think all she wanted to do was tell about her big mare having the hots for her mini geldings.

I agree with Lisa. It all depends on the horses and the space thier turned out on. The minis I bought were kept with big horses, and my mare would chase around the big qaurter horses, So I dont think Taylor Jo meant for this to be a debate, I think all she wanted to do was tell about her big mare having the hots for her mini geldings.

Thank you Arab Luver. I didn't want it to be a debate. And when I meant she was being agressive, I should have explained myself better. She's following the boy's rubbing all over them and just being a pest to them and all they won't to do is eat. She's NOT being mean in anyway.

I agree with you about the risk, it is a risk. I have to take that risk. I have 4.5 acres their on so it's not like their in tight quarters at all. In fact if she gets to far away from them she goes running to them. Tonight when it was raining and I got the mini's in she realized she was alone, she came running. She's VERY attached to them and thinks she's a mini. She doesn't "PLAY" with them like the mini's play and graze. SHE EATS. Of course now she's in season so she's paying more attention to them, before that, she just ate and hung out with my gelding.

I want to thank you guy's for your input. I value it truly I don't take it lightly. Thank you all, TJ

Right now my bigs are with my pony. However, when my foals are all weaned they minis will go out with the big guys. They all live together over the winter. THe minis even the foals have been out with the big guys occasionally through out the summer as well with out issues. But they minis also have an area only they can go, and they have almost 10 acreas to their pasture.

I've never been willing to put mine out together, but I have sold a couple of minis who went to be companions for older big geldings. Both have been terrific in their jobs and bonded quite well - one on one with older mellow guys.

The image of your mare teasing the little boys.....
default_biggrin.png
have to laugh although I would be terrified too that something might happen. I still have a mental image of one of ours from years ago - I haltered & led a big appendix mare in through the arena, assuming I could get across the front corner before the little stallion way down at the end saw us. Very wrong lol - he came thundering up (on tiny feet
default_smile.png
), and did his best to breed that mare! He was all over her hocks, she was screaming & jumping around, he was screaming, my daughter - whose mare it was - was hysterical. I finally got her into the barn where she almost went down, got him out, assessed damage, and went back out for a chat with the boy after child & mare settled down.

My fault for underestimating a young stallion, but we nonetheless had a pretty serious come to Jesus conversation that day and his manners were much improved afterwards.
default_wink.png
Did remind me that hormones unchecked can have pretty serious consequences.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
It always suprises me when people state that they wont put a mini in with big horses. Now I wouldnt put a 30" in w/a 17hh horse. However, putting a 36" in with a 14hh isnt a big deal. Having a herd of mares with babies is really no different. One kick and no baby. If they all respect each other and leave one another alone, then fine. BUT, if there is harrasment or general anoyance, then as with any horses that act this way, they need to be seperated.When our mini ran away from his home, to ours ( hence he is now ours LOL) he L O V E D our ol gelding. It was THE cutest thing in the world to see Mini and Indy standing on the hill overlooking their domain. Indy being 1300lbs and 16hh and Mini at about 33"s and thinking he was 1300lbs LOL. We called them Fat Bas**** and MIni-Me.
default_rolleyes.gif
"However, putting a 36" in with a 14hh isnt a big deal. Having a herd of mares with babies is really no different. One kick and no baby"

I'm sorry...but i just have to say...there is a HUGE difference between the force and size of a kick of a 1200 lb horse, and that of a 250lb mare.
However, people DO put fullsize mare herds together and they all keep babies. So, a kick from a 1200 lb horse will still kill a full size foal. There are accidents in everything. If the opposing horses have problems with one another, then dont put them together. But, if everyone gets along and the size difference isnt HUGE, then put them together. We cant be putting bubble wrap on everything to keep everyone safe 24/7.

Latest posts

Back