Mosquito Halt - Anyone tried this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muffntuf

Reaction score
I am trying out a new product I found on Fleet Farms shelves called Mosquito Halt. It claims to keep horses and ponies from attracting mosquitoes. So you can see from below its supposed to be a quick knock down and residual control. A bottle at Fleet Farm is $17.49 for 32 oz. I sprayed all the ponies except the yearlings as the yearling paddock is dirt and I walk the other ponies through it to their paddock and there weren't many mosquitos today. The directions say to apply 3 days in a row and then as needed. After stiffing out the price for it, I am testing it. It smells like perfume. So far, the worst paddock is the stallion paddock and I sprayed Shiner before I let him out. We are usually attacked as soon as we hit the gate by 100's of mosquitoes. They tried to land, but then didn't, so I am watching a few of them right now and I only see minimal tail swishing and no running the paddocks from bugs.

Will see how the day goes.

The Claim:

Mosquito Halt protects against horse, house, stable, face, horn and deer flies, gnats, lice, deer ticks and mosquitoes for up to two weeks. Combines pyrethrine and cypermethrin for quick knock down and residual control. Mosquito Halt includes sunscreen for protection against harmful UV rays. Newly designed superior spray bottle is leak proof with an easy-to-handle, ergonomic design.

I also am trying it for the first time and am impressed so far. There were the little black flies on my horses back and the other sprays didn't seem to phase them, they might fly off but other would land. I sprayed them with mosquito Halt and you could instantly see the flies dying and no other flies would land. I went out 4 hours later and still so stomping, swishing or bugs. It does have a different smell than any other fly spray I have tried. I have only been using it for a couple days, but it sure does seem to be working very well.

Donna

Yes, when the flies were on the horse and I sprayed over top. Most of the time with other sprays, the flies would just fly off as soon as I sprayed some and then land again. This time they just seemed to die. The flies would move funny and then just stop. I checked them out and they were dead...or maybe passed out LOL.

Yes, when the flies were on the horse and I sprayed over top. Most of the time with other sprays, the flies would just fly off as soon as I sprayed some and then land again. This time they just seemed to die. The flies would move funny and then just stop. I checked them out and they were dead...or maybe passed out LOL.

Can it be used on humans?I am a walking magnet for mosquitoes-20 minutes out feeding horses in the evening and I have at least 10 bad bites which itch for hours.I don't use hair spray perfume etc.Bugs just love me.I can't wait until the first frost and lots of them DIE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be very Careful with Mosquito halt, I know one person when it first came out in Florida had a new foal die, 1 other very sick, She was spraying the mares not the foals. It was also making the owner very sick. I personally knew this person this was not rumor. Once she stopped using the Mosquito halt all symptoms stopped.

Karen

That is sad to hear. But I don't think you should spray any pesticide on a nursing mare or a foal.

After reading a great review of Mosquito Halt in the Horse Journal, I rushed out to buy some. Tried it on three full-sized horses. Two broke out in hives within 24 hours, something that has never before happened after using any fly spray.

Even worse (in my opinion) was that the residue of the spray that fell on the ground (while I was spraying) stained the concrete. Permanently. Anything that strong doesn't go on my horses!

I tossed the bottle, sighing over how much it had cost. Wouldn't even give it to anyone else to try.

Cannot recommend it.

Latest posts

Back