More frustration at the job...........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a matter of fact that in many parts of the world women are "second class citizens". When the people immigrate to North America they bring their cultures with them. It normally takes two generations for them to assimilate into the adopted cultures. Its easy to see in most metropolitan areas, It makes no difference what nationality it is you can see the German club, Swiss Club, Dutch, Laotian, Viet Namese etc. The first generation seek out their own for support and friendship. Its the was it is and the way it has always been. Here in Canada we have a large Indian population, One sect wears a traditional turban. When some wanted to join the RCMP it was sticky. The Mounted Police in their Red Serge uniforms are close to being a national symbol. This group wanted to continue wearing their turbans and still carry a ceremonial dagger. National symbol vs immigrants tradition. They do look strange in our uniforms wearing a turban. Many people felt it was wrong since this time it was our tradition that was changed so as not to impede theirs. There was a murder in Toronto last year. An immigrant killed his daughter for disrespecting his home and name for wearing make-up in public. He was granted bail and skipped the country in effect getting away with murder. As time goes on they assimilate into the community because younger members move on for education, jobs and personal freedoms. Then we get ready for the next wave of immigrants.

Marty said:
We cant have christmas music on at work, nor can we decorate or show the american flag as it might be offensive to them. However they can wash there feet in the toliet, they can walk off the line to go pray and eat after there fasting time, and we have to pick up there work why they does so?
HORRORS, HORRORS AND HORRORS, especially about the Christmas music and American Flag.

I think your company needs one heck of a mental tidy.

467685[/snapback]

Marty,

Unfortunately we have the same issues here where I work. The flag is ok, but Christmas celebrations is not... No Christmas music, no decorations. Instead they give us 2 days off for Thanksgiving and send us a "holiday" card at Thanksgiving. If you don't like a custom, then don't participate, but please quit forcing their beliefs on me. I am not going to tell others what holidays they should participate in, but by the same token, I shouldn't be told that I can't participate in a government recognized holiday because I might offend someone. Urgg... Don't get me started.

Both my maternal grandparents were fresh off the boat from Portugal and Italy and worked their tails off to assimilate into America. Only my grandfather knew rudimentary English and neither could write in any language. But they learned and brought their children up to respect where they lived and became contributing members of American society. Never for one minute expected everyone here to change for them. That belief carried down through the following generations and we don't buy into the insane irresponsibilty that is rampant in this country today in the name of "diversity."

Since I work in a government agency, we are required not to say Merry Christmas or have anything related to our (Christian) religions in plain view at our work areas. Might make some atheist uncomfortable
rolleyes.gif
but being the PIA that I am I make it policy to say those dreaded words, including God Bless You if someone sneezes, to everyone within earshot and yep a pic of Jesus graces my work station and I'll break the first hand that touches it with anything but respect. My boss fully supports me but if he didn't he'd just have to deal with it because I'm NOT changing.

Now of course these rules DO NOT apply to those from other cultures and we are to be respectful of their diversity or else suffer the consequences. IMO it's a two way street and as much as my diversity is respected, I shall respect others.

Well I should avoid even getting started.......my grandfather was born in england and was first a canadian immigrant and then a us immigrant (he had dual citizenship until he died) he served in the army during korea..........he married my grandmother (met in the red cross or some such) she was american but adopted....turns out she might or most likely was native american but that was all hush hushed and hidden back then..........

This is AMERICA yet does anyone truly know what it is to be AMERICAN? .....

Who are we?

What do we stand for?

We have no single language, no single culture, nothing that truly defines our nation........we now cater to special interests and when we don't we get sued.......our own creedo is being used against us we are destroying our own society with the very ideals that once made this nation so great........
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif

Well just maybe it is about time we Shut our borders down close em up?!? And let our country heal and get a unity again like once was..

Well tonight was a bit different. I got moved around 3 times before they settled putting me back in my job as they had no choice. I wasnt feeling well, so I tolorated everything, includeing getting my hand smashed.

Anyway, by 9 he was complaining he was tired and not doing his work. I sat there and let the line wait for him. I was NOT helping at all tonight. Finally I looked at him and said, " on this line if you get tired its your problem. We do not pick up the slack of others, you are expected to hold your own"

After that with constant pushing he did do his work but slowly.

We wont even go into how he just stoped dead in his tracks and didnt work at all when a certian female came by. (which was very often as that is her work area right in front of us).

Still have a few issues with the fact that he dont ware deoderant, wares the same clothes daily and way to much cologe to hide the b.o which was makeing me sneeze all night.

Last edited by a moderator:
'geese, if you have found a way of making Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi immigrants integrate please contact Tony Blair immediately. The whole problem is that they are here, in my country and have no wish to integrate, and that would seem to be Ashley's problem as well!!! In England we are into our fourth, possibly fifth generation, in some cases far more- with NO signs of integration, in fact the kids are now going to school in full Purdah and the schools are accepting it!! Only the girls, of course, the boys can wear what they like. It is the pure, unadulterated HYPOCRISY of it that really annoys me. Shirley I am not a Christian but I have the greatest respect for your faith, and Yes, I am very glad, even proud, to wish you Happy Christmas- I do not have a birthday on your birthday but I still say Happy Birthday to you, I cannot see the problem, you are celebrating, I am glad for you, surely that's what religious tolerance is really about???

Unless the second and third generations work and study at home or in family businesses they are almost forced to relocate. As they move further from the cultural influence of their families the more they blend in. I never claimed to have a solution from my illustrations you can see Canada's only redeeming factor is that its a very big country with a very small population. England on the other hand is a rather small country and therefore harder for second and subsequent generations to move away from the "family influence"

Perhaps the answer is to get out immigrants to emigrate!!
smile.gif
They have their own schools as they do not wish the evil ways of England to influence their children into believing that woman are equal in the sight of God- that would destroy their whole culture. They live in communities, and take over whole areas, and streets. It does not have to be like this, and it often isn't. I have at the bottom of my road a Ghanaian family who moved here fifteen years ago. At the time they were in full traditional dress, complete with baby in shawl on back and laundry carried on head. Nowadays, apart from the fact that the children, now nearly grown, are so polite it notices, you would not tell them from any other English family- I do NOT judge race by colour- There are four Indian families in the street, to, parents are Indian, children are English, it is actually one Family, now living in four houses, do I feel threatened?? Not at all, they are great neighbours. The situation I am talking about is completely different and, under the circumstances (London bombs, etc) it is threatening, Yes, to have a whole bunch of strangely dressed people with completely different values (it's OK to murder someone who is not Muslim as they do not count) living very close by. We should require that immigrants both learn and USE the native tongue- as it is accepted in law- we should also require that people abide by the accepted values of the workplace. Ashley has every right to expect to be treated with the respect that she has earned, that guy, irrespective of where he came from, is he apprentice, he should be required to act like it and respect her.

Last edited by a moderator:
SunQuest said:
Marty,
Unfortunately we have the same issues here where I work. The flag is ok, but Christmas celebrations is not... No Christmas music, no decorations. Instead they give us 2 days off for Thanksgiving and send us a "holiday" card at Thanksgiving. If you don't like a custom, then don't participate, but please quit forcing their beliefs on me. I am not going to tell others what holidays they should participate in, but by the same token, I shouldn't be told that I can't participate in a government recognized holiday because I might offend someone. Urgg... Don't get me started.

467693[/snapback]

I personally think it is fine to not have christmas music at work and no decorations unless of course you are willing to have all cultures decorate and celebrate there holidays as well. With so many different beliefs and religions in this country it would be very difficult to make sure all were treated equally and what is very important to you like Christmas well perhaps Kuwanza is just as important to your fellow employee.

While different cultures do treat there families different belive me there are plenty of american born and raised men that feel the same way and treat the women in there lives the exact same way it isnt just a foriegner type of thing. I dont know I guess I am just different when it comes to this maybe cause i grew up in a VERY diverse area- someone talking in there native language to eachother is no more offensive to me then kids talking slang, horsey people talking horses at a restaurant, or whatever.

I do hear your frustration and think you need to discuss it with your supervisor cause that is a real issue

but for me to say the issue is others coming to this country and then not conforming to my own personal beliefs or ways or language well that thought doesnt even enter my mind really.

the world just doesnt work according to Lisa and I think we can all be very thankful for that
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis said:
but for me to say the issue is others coming to this country and then not conforming to my own personal beliefs or ways or language well that thought doesnt even enter my mind really.
The difference is that America has an OFFICIAL language. ALL should be required to know how to speak it! Otherwise why would one have an official language????? Again, my family speaks German fluently starting with my Dad's generation and working back. BUT... In public we all have enough curtesy and manners to use the official language of this country. It is rude and disrespectful to not learn to speak the official language of the country that you are permantly calling your home IMO. But then again, that is the manners that were taught to me by my father who immagrated here and became a US citizen because he and his family love this country of ours.

As far as who practices what holiday? Well, I don't really care who celebrates what. BUT... When this company actually promotes holidays like Holloween and actually asks people to dress up for that holiday, then why can I not do Christmas. I don't mean the music, but if I want to decorate my desk, then what is the issue???? I have to participate in a pagan holiday ritual but yet can't do a christian one???? Humm.....

while i hear your point guess to me my view of america is different which is what makes our country great we accept others have views and ideas and other cultures and such
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back