Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tenn. ????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
Husband and I are thinking of relocating from NE Arkansas but we're not sure what direction to go in. I prefer the climates of the southern states, but I do not like extreeme humidity, heat, bugs, storms, etc.

Here is Arkansas to license a vehicle for a year it's around 30. to transfer a title is like 8. We're thinking of relocating to either Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, or Tenn. possbily KY, but not too serious about that one.

Husband has been in the same job over 18 years, in a factory. Wants something different. He's pretty flexible on what type of job, but he needs to get as close to $400. a week or more as he can because we have a very large family.

Can anyone in those states mentioned please tell me about your state? Your area of the state would really help too (northeast, central, southern, etc.). What's your tax rate? Normal Feb. temp. ? Normal July Temp. ? Humidity? School systems? Road conditions? How much does it cost to license your vehicle each year? How's the general population as far as friendlyness? Crime rate? Drug popularity? Property values? About what would an average home with 20 acres cost? Average home... nothing fancy please...we're just average people...fancy doesn't work for us.

Gosh I know that's a lot of questions... but it's hard to make a decision like this, even harder when you have a herd of children and horses to watch out for. But I really do appreicate any advice or recommendations.

<<< Current Kentucky resident (NOT from here!). My advice would be to stay far, far away from Kentucky! You have to pay property tax on vehicles every year (as well as everything else typical to other states; tags, etc.). I know that Tennessee does not have a state income tax, but they pay tax on groceries I believe (we don't in Kentucky). Humidity is tremendous in my part of Kentucky (it is also pretty bad in far Northeastern Tennessee; my husband works in that area of the state). My part of Kentucky is dirty (litter everywhere), unfriendly, ignorant (like a step back in time), and there is a tremendous and continually growing Meth. problem. Can you tell I am not a fan?
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Kimmy, I think in this ecomony if your hus has any job count your blessings. You already own your own place, he is gainfully employed and if I were you I'd stay put with that security for now. I think Arkansas is cheaper than Tennessee all the way around but I could be mistaken. There are NO jobs here, nothing with the exception of Volkswagon just came in to Chattanooga and are hiring 1000 people. You have to fill out the application on line. A couple of local people have been hired from my neck of the woods but I hear it is not easy to get in there. On the upside as in places to live, my area is booming with people moving here left and right from up north. There are foreclosures here like crazy people are snapping up. Even on my road a couple of nice homes with lots of pasture acreage foreclosed going for under $85,000.

Latest posts

Back