Merial WNV Recombitek

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
This was just emailed to me by a very good friend in Ocala, Fla. If she had not sent it to me, I would not post it here...Thought it was very interesting....

Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2007 9:49:24 AM

Subject: [flhorse] Horse dead due to allergic reaction to Merial Recombitek vaccine - Fwd: Re: vaccination alert

This response to the Merial Recombitek vaccine warning was posted to

the same list - apparently it can cause an allergic reaction in some

horses, and a Paso Fino mare in Washington State had to be humanely

euthanized a few hours after receiving the vaccination.

Please forward and cross-post to help get the word out and raise

awareness.

Susan

Micanopy, FL

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Kathy J."

> Date: July 13, 2007 1:48:09 AM EDT

> Subject: [PAL] Re: vaccination alert

>

>

> There was an incident here in Washington State also. A member of

> our club lost a paso fino mare after she was given a dose of Merial

> vaccine. I received this e-mail from her owner:

>

> May 21 admisistered Merial WNV Recombitek to all 11 horses at the

> farm including Mija (La Envidia de Medeto) an 18 year old mare who

> was in good health with a glossy coat and robust condition. An hour

> or so later when I turned her out on the pasture, instead of

> munching away with her mates she lay down by the pasture gate. ...

> About 20 minutes later she got up and wandered back up behind the

> shed where I could not see her. Getting a bit concerned now I went

> to check on her and found her down and passing liquid manure. So a

> call was placed to the vet who arrived about an hour later. By this

> time the mare was having frequent bouts of liquidfied manure, was

> drooling froth from the mouth and making swallowing motions. Her

> gums were showing signs of toxic shock. She was shaking and

> sweating. The vet administered a steroid and then did a gastric

> examination by tube. The stomach, intestinal fluids were jst

> backing up and a mineral oil flush would have been futile. It was

> decided there was no hope for the mare and she was euthanized about

> 15 minutes later. So from the time of getting the vaccines until

> she was put down was about 2 or 3 hours. Seems to me that the mare

> deteriorated very fast and would have died within an hour and I

> suspect that it was caused by allergic reaction to the vaccine.

> Please pass this information on to your friends who may be

> considering using this vaccine - Frances

>

>

>

> Sounds like people should be very careful with this vaccine.

>

> Kathy J.

>

>> --- In PasoAficion2@ yahoogroups. com, sonja wirth <sonjawirth@ ...>

>> wrote:

>>

>>

>> Received this from my friend and thought I would pass it on,

>> better safe then sorry!

>>

>>

>>

>> I live in SE GA where mosquitoes are prevalent. All of our horses

>> have received a west nile vaccination, since the inception of the

>> Ft. Dodge vaccine, without incident. Last spring our veterinarian

>> told us he was changing to the Merial Recombitek vaccine and it

>> would be a once-a-year shot. One of our horses who had previously

>> foundered, but had had full recovery, had sore feet for two days

>> following the vaccination. All other horses had no problem. We do

>> vaccinations (always by our vet) twice a year. They include EWT,

>> Rhino Flu, Rabies and West Nile (now annually). The series was

>> repeated on June 28th including the second annual Recombitek

>> vaccine by Merial.

>>

>> The next day the previously foundered horse (understand that he

>> has been working like a normal horse for over a year), a mare who

>> had had a serious bout of white line in one hoof, a mare with

>> navicular, and a perfectly sound healthy 9 yr old gelding all show

>> pretty severe signs of laminitis. All have been on Bute, 2 grams

>> AM & PM, and to date there is no improvement. My veterinarian has

>> filed a report with Merial.

>>

>>

>> Please discuss thoroughly with your veterinarian before using this

>> vaccine, especially in a physically challenged horse or before

>> repeating the vaccine for the second time. There will be no more

>> Merial Recombitek given in my barn - ever.

>>

>> Please pass this information on to others of your choosing.

>>

__._,_.___

Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar

Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional

Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent Activity

1New Members

Visit Your Group

SPONSORED LINKS

Florida traffic school

Florida divorce attorney

Florida divorce

Florida divorce lawyer

Florida attorney

Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Moderator Central

An online resource

for moderators

of Yahoo! Groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Real Food Group

Share recipes

and favorite meals.

I HATE THESE EMAILS!! Unless it personally happened to you or a direct friend, this is all hear say. Please do not forward this propaganda and mass hysteria causing emails. :no:
default_thumbdown.gif
: Yes, vaccine reactions happen with ALL TYPES AND BRANDS of vaccines. But the symptoms described do not indicate a typical vaccine reaction that results in death. Those are usually IMMEDIATE. There are underlying causes to these individual situations that are probably not related to the vaccine itself but to other issues un-realized at the time.

Agreed. Any horse, at any time, can have an adverse reaction to any vaccine, whether it had been administered to that same horse previously.

A good friend of mine just lost her best reining gelding due to a reaction...it was immediate, and though not common, the gelding did indeed die. She runs a stable, and still insists that all 38 horses in her barn be innoculated, including the 7 that are her own.

Many more horses die every year from sickness and disease...than from the shots they are given to prevent them.

I have not heard of a shot causing founder before...I would question this, as I cannot see any Veterinarian thinking it was the shots that caused it either. In my unqualified opinion...it sounds more like the horses were in contact with something poisonous/toxic.

Agreed. Any horse, at any time, can have an adverse reaction to any vaccine, whether it had been administered to that same horse previously.

A good friend of mine just lost her best reining gelding due to a reaction...it was immediate, and though not common, the gelding did indeed die. She runs a stable, and still insists that all 38 horses in her barn be innoculated, including the 7 that are her own.

Many more horses die every year from sickness and disease...than from the shots they are given to prevent them.

I have not heard of a shot causing founder before...I would question this, as I cannot see any Veterinarian thinking it was the shots that caused it either. In my unqualified opinion...it sounds more like the horses were in contact with something poisonous/toxic.
Actually I know of a couple cases of founder brought on by a bad vaccine reaction. It isn't common but just like a long trailer ride, trotting on pavement, a bad trim, many things can bring on a case of founder.

I would be more interested in hearing the results of a post mortem performed on the horse with the sudden death after the vaccine as that one sounds really odd.

[SIZE=12pt]vaccinations can result in founder, a few years ago many horses in my area had reactions to a certian vaccination (all the from the same company) and foundered, also just this spring a friends horse who had issues with a certian shot last year was accidently given it again this year at the trainers and he foundered. :eek:fftopic: sorry...Nikki
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

I HATE THESE EMAILS!! Unless it personally happened to you or a direct friend, this is all hear say. Please do not forward this propaganda and mass hysteria causing emails. :no:
default_thumbdown.gif
: Yes, vaccine reactions happen with ALL TYPES AND BRANDS of vaccines. But the symptoms described do not indicate a typical vaccine reaction that results in death. Those are usually IMMEDIATE. There are underlying causes to these individual situations that are probably not related to the vaccine itself but to other issues un-realized at the time.
:no: GOSH!!!! I guess I have been SLAPPED on the hands!!! And for your information, I ONLY posted it here for information and discussion purposes... I, Oh never mind whats the use anyway..

I didn't mean my response to be a personal "slap" to you. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

The problem with these type of posts for information and discussion purposes is that in the wrong hands it can be turned and used for the wrong purposes. For those of us who've owned horses for years, we know there's always a small risk to a vaccine reaction. Unfortunately, it's those individuals who are new to horse ownership, who don't have a good vet, and who get ALL their information from forums such as this, who make descisions based on third party information that affects their horses' health. I can't tell you the number of posts, emails, and converstations I've been involved with where individuals where terrified to give their horses the preventative health care they need because of hear say posted online. It's extremely dangerous to pass along this information (granted you did it for the right reasons) without specific history on the animals and LAB WORK AND RESULTS.

Take the dewormer Qwest for example. This dewormer is EXTREMELY SAFE to use on ALL HORSES. But, because of a packaging malfunction (the plunger was too loose and caused several ACCIDENTAL OVERDOSES) just about everyone refuses to use it on their minis. Qwest is the only dewormer (at least that I know of) that gets ENCYSTED Stronglyes. I've used it repeatedly and never had anyone drop dead from it.

Those with an open mind can process these types of posts and still make an informed descision based on the pros and cons. There are so many variables that someone without the experience of horse ownership or veterinary medicine may make a descision based on ONE person's experience that may result in disastrous results for themselves. It's extremely important to have ALL the facts and many times during occurences like this, those who post are too emotionally involved to look at all the evidence before them.

Personally, the first case sounds very much like a surgical colic - passing a stomach tube and getting "regurge" indicates a blockage (impactions, a torsion, an entrolith). The symptoms described is exactly how many of the surgical colics are presented to us when the owners waited to long for assistance.

Please don't take offense to my response. You were trying to inform with all the good intentions of your heart! However, I am also trying to inform those who might not have as much experience as the rest of us that PREVENTION is always the best cure and insurance.
default_wub.png
:
default_wink.png
:

And yes, there are farms with over 30 head of horses who never vaccinate for anything. But they can afford to loose 1-2 horses every now and then to a preventable disease. The backyard horse owner can't (financially or emotionally).

default_thumbdown.gif
:no: GOSH!!!! I guess I have been SLAPPED on the hands!!! And for your information, I ONLY posted it here for information and discussion purposes... I, Oh never mind whats the use anyway..

i will say from my own west nile vaccination nightmare we had one horse that immediately started to founder. (within 2 hrs of the shot) this was a young healthy horse that was never sore on its hooves before. by the time the vet came back my entire herd was running fevers, lumps at the site of injection etc etc. it was a nightmare I will never forget. Luckily for me fort dodge paid all my bills and my herd recovered but it was scarey. I never believed any of these stories either until it happened to me :no:

This was the all in one shot with west nile included and was a couple years ago. I know many people on this forum still use this shot and have never had problems. But it really was a disaster here

Latest posts

Back