mare stopped contractions at day 342

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markadoodle

Reaction score
Okay so I am 14 I have been riding sense before I could walk, showing sense age 3, Jumping trail riding galloping and major vents sense 4 maybe a little younger like trail sense 3 thats or sure. And my mom has been breeding horses sense she was 12. So I have been around breeding sense I was3 and sense 2001 we have been breeding Minis. I enjoy them muchley.

But when my mom wasnt home my mare was having large contractions and came soo close to finally having her water braking but I dont get it my cat was walking on her door feel in the stall she spooked she through herself into the walland stopped contractions for the whole nite 8 hours later is now and all sh has been doing is itching her butt on the wall.. Why did she hold them off? was she feeling as if she was in danger? just by the cat falling? we have nothing around us like bears or anything scary, the basrn is all closed up a ligh on radio on low volume[been there for 40 years to relive the horses from stress] nothing diffrent to spook hher the cat has been in her stall before laying in er hay when shes eating the hay. What made her stop?

i am not happy with her she is 3 days over due S
default_nono.gif
!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
but i still LOVE HER!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

she must be cookin' somthing special in there
default_gaah.gif
default_gaah.gif
she knows i want her to POP!

lol thanks

Kay

Last edited by a moderator:
If she was actually have real true contractions, she couldn't have stopped it. What you probably saw was her breathing, when they lay down the motion of their breathing in the pregnant bellies looks a lot like contractions, but isn't true contractions. Trust me when you see the "real thing" it is unmistakable!

It is so hard to wait, but horses don't have a real true "due date" they come when they are ready, totally on their own time! But I promise you she will eventually "pop"!
default_biggrin.png

A mare can stop the first stage of labor that leads to the water breaking, but there are no visible contractions during that stage. It is when they look so uncomfortable, and can last several hours, in that stage, yes a cat falling and startling them could stop the process. Try to keep your normal routine, but also keep things as quiet as possible. Try not to sneak around, but don't do loud things or have lots of visitors around that is out of the your normal routine in the barn.

Hope this helps!

Kim I have to disagree a bit.
default_smile.png
I have had mares have contractions and stop. Horses are one of the few animals that can delay labor if they feel threatened. Mine however I dont think were due to that. I do think sometimes their pre labor can last a whole day as that has happened here about 3 times. Last time was Bailey. She was on live cam and down and having active contractions at 9 pm. Suddenly she stopped. Went back to eating etc. Didnt foal until almost 4 am. Another mare we had did it around midnight and didnt foal until the following night.

I would be sure and watch that mare really close today and tonight. If she was really contracting she will probably foal today or tonight

Yeah, the one time we had a Saddlebred mare that was starting to have contractions--we were sure we were going to have a foal within 30 minutes--she was in her shed which was attached to the side of the barn in one of the front corrals. I went away for a few minutes and came back & she had stopped--she held off until the following night. That was the year when we were having problems with a cougar coming around our yard/pastures--I believe that in those few minutes when I was in the barn there was something that spooked her, whether it was actually the big cat or just a noise that she thought might have been the cat--and she decided to not have her foal that night. I'd never seen a mare stop that way before and have never had one do it since.

It is possible I had a mare do this before. She started labor around 11 pm she has never had an attended birth before that one I went out to soon when I saw her going down and contracting on the camera she got up and just stopped. I thought for sure she would start again but no way she paced, pawed and was all around miserable for hours next morning still nothing so she stayed in her stall a in and out with her breeder alert on.

She had loose manure dripping milk the whole thing. Well I decided I was going to do some spring clips on the horses using the large Stewart clippers and was clipping away wearing the beeper which I could not hear over the clippers I soon discovered

I looked up and was like wait where did she go and she was in her stall just missed the foaling baby had just come out and of course the pager was going off once I stopped the clippers. Good thing as the baby needed some help and was touch and go for about 36 hours but is fine now.

I have foaled out several mares and am well aware what contractions look like this mare was no doubt having strong contractions and just before her water broke I am guessing she got up. Would not have believed it had I not seen it myself although the vet said it can and does happen they have seen it as well

thankyou and yes I KMNOW they were contractons scutching her but under 6 times and while laying down her havng large enogh ones all 4's came off the ground-poor thing this is what she did last year but gave birth 20 mins later

Ya'll are right, my brain wasn't functioning before coffee, LOL! I remember now, it's AFTER the water breaks that they can't stop contractions!!
default_doh.gif

I've never had one with visible contractions stop, but interesting to hear it happens! That sure would throw ya for a loop, can't imagine how hard it would be to wait on that!!
default_new_shocked.gif

I'm not sure if goats are the same was as horses, but I think they might be similar? they both are in the wild. well yesterday a goat at our 4H barn was having contractions but a lot of people started flooding in the barn and she did something similar to your horse, she stopped. later we had a HUGE thunderstorm and no more visitors went to the barn for the rest of the day. When I went around 8pm she was having contractions again and her water broke and she had her 2 health baby boys. I actually got it all on video. I wouldn't be suprised if your mare foaled tonight

How is she acting otherwise? How does her udder, vulva and belly look? Post pics please!!!

A mare lying down can appear to have contractions, complete with noises and heaving etc!!

I can still be fooled now and I can assure you I have been doing this a lot longer than either you or your mother!!
default_yes.gif

I actually started to internal a mare that was flat out and groaning, and appeared to be having contractions, legs stiff and held out from her body, but no progress, and got in as far as my elbow and no nose and no legs...I was about to call the Vet when the mare woke up, gave me THE most disgusted look she could manage, got up and walked away.

Three weeks later (THREE weeks) she had a healthy foal.

The time the mare is "due" to have her foal means nothing, that is the first , or one of the first, things you have to learn, as no mare has yet read the book!!

Good Luck.

yeah i know about the due date thing i ment MY duie date lol i was ready for her foal on 336 days is 342

she has wax and creamy un-sticky yellowish milk.

30cbnh2.jpg

r2p9bl.jpg

2dshbb8.jpg

they are much fuller now these were took at 2 ths am

n68090.jpg

sorry about er feet she was abused for 3 years and this is how her feet grow a farrier needs 2 come 2wice as often fr her she is getting trimmed in a few days dont worry

Last edited by a moderator:
Rabbit I am sure that can happen but I assure you my mare was not sleeping she was contracting I should have stayed and watched in the house until her water broke knowing she was afraid of people, a rescue mare and never had an attended birth my presence made her very uncomfortable and she did not feel safe- She was miserable the following hours pacing- sweaty nervous and feeling trapped in her stall wanting to find a quiet safe place to have that foal.

of course a couple years and accidental breeding later both raven and I were present for her last birth (in every sense of the word) and she was fine and let us handle the foal even. Prior births no way no how could you get anywhere near the foal until they were weaned and by then she had given them her totally obsessive fear of humans
default_wacko.png

no worries! i have a mer at 360 and have been watching her like a hawk for the last month! these mares like to keep us waiting!

Her nipples look like they are turned inward too much still.... my mares usually point more straight down when they are ready. I dont think your mare was contracting to have immediate labor. She is itching her rear, or leaning her rear on the wall/fence to help relieve the pressure. I have seen many of mine do this before foaling. Looks and sounds like she is due pretty quick though so keep watch!!!!

Also, bless you for taking good care of her. You mentioned she was abused before and I think she looks pretty darned good now, including her feet. That is nice that you maintain them more often and I sure bet she appreciates it too!

Keep us posted!!

Okay so I am 14 I have been riding sense before I could walk, showing sense age 3, Jumping trail riding galloping and major vents sense 4 maybe a little younger like trail sense 3 thats or sure. And my mom has been breeding horses sense she was 12. So I have been around breeding sense I was3 and sense 2001 we have been breeding Minis. I enjoy them muchley.
But when my mom wasnt home my mare was having large contractions and came soo close to finally having her water braking but I dont get it my cat was walking on her door feel in the stall she spooked she through herself into the walland stopped contractions for the whole nite 8 hours later is now and all sh has been doing is itching her butt on the wall.. Why did she hold them off? was she feeling as if she was in danger? just by the cat falling? we have nothing around us like bears or anything scary, the basrn is all closed up a ligh on radio on low volume[been there for 40 years to relive the horses from stress] nothing diffrent to spook hher the cat has been in her stall before laying in er hay when shes eating the hay. What made her stop?

i am not happy with her she is 3 days over due S
default_nono.gif
!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
but i still LOVE HER!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

she must be cookin' somthing special in there
default_gaah.gif
default_gaah.gif
she knows i want her to POP!

lol thanks

Kay

just here 2 saw she has wax her bag is very warm and full her milk isnt as sticky and ts turning white. and still no foal 4 days later

Oh man, well I bet you will SOON!!! Sounds like today or tomorrow to me!

Latest posts

Back