Manes - Dry and frizzy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muffntuf

Reaction score
I have a beautiful 31.5" GMB stallion. But since his 3rd birthday his hair texture has changed and it is now thick, frizzy, coarse and seems to be dry. I have asked a couple people around me but wonder if anyone has the same issue with any of their horses.

Does baby oil sink into the hari cortex? Leave conditioner in? What works best?

He is sorrel with light sorrel and flaxen mane and tail.

I would first look at his diet and consider adding a supplement or even corn oil depending on his weight.

I like using Straight Arrow Mane and Tail conditioner in the winter as you leave it in and do not have to wash it out.

I agree the first thing I would look at is the diet. Corn oil really seems to help.

Winter here is cold and very dry. Makes our hairy little friends coats dry out each to a different degree. In the winter we also try not to groom their manes and tails to often, i find the hair is more brittle.

Leave in conditioner has worked well for us we us Cowboy Magic. We tried a new to us product last fall I really like it. I think it is called TMG (tail, mane, ?) It has a sulfur base and seems to make the hair grow. You rub it into the skin and leave it in. I haven't used it this winter as I am worried it will freeze before it sinks into the skin.

I used MTG last year to no avail on his mane. I do have him on a good diet, but I have not added any oil other than the soy oil in the feed. Will look at that.

I would do a couple of things...yes, check into his diet. Flax seed helps, and so does corn oil. That will help loads. I used to groom my big horses with baby oil. I used it like a leave in conditioner...comb it through, and leave it in. Make sure the hair on the underside of the main gets some too. I used to make sure the arab that I showed had nice manes this way! A word to the wise though...in the summer when you do this, do NOT use Johnson's! Bees like the fragrance they use! Find a cheapy store brand, and it won't attract bees! :DOH!

Kim

We've always used the human leave in conditioner called Infusiom(or something close to that. White bottle, brown writting). I've got 1 mare here who has a thick mane and it always has a case of the frizzies...the conditioner keeps her mane soft and not so frizzy. I always put it in a few times a week during the summer. Seems to work okay for our horses. We've tried the conditioners for horses, MTG(which I hate), etc and the human leave in conditioner seemed to work best here. It doesnt make the hair oily or greasy.

~Jen~

Since he has a good diet, my first thought is it is probably as much weather damage as anything, sun, wind, cold, dry air etc...

I have always had good luck with Absorbine Show Sheen. It is expensive but it works. Spray it on and soak the mane and tail and leave it to dry. It will condition the skin and hair and does not attract dirt the way baby oil does, in fact, has the opposite effect, repels dirt and dust.

I would use it once every day until things are under control then maybe just a couple times a week. You may want to thin the mane also.

Kelly

Diet is good. I did add a tablespoon of oil to his feed and will continue. I like the idea of Infusium or the Absorbine Show Shee.

Gosh and last year it was just getting them to grow out manes and tails! LOL!

Latest posts

Back