Making Things Easier

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalbank

Reaction score
Different topic today.

I'm keen to know some of the tips and tricks you all have for making things easier when looking after the minis. Last winter was a nightmare for me having to drag huge amounts of hay as the clutch went on the tractor and it had to be left in the field until it dried up.

I'm just trying to find ways of making things easier, such as having auto fill water butts etc. Muck collecting is another huge job for me and have thought about buying a terra vac or something similar.

Anyway, would love to hear about all your tips/tricks and advice.
default_smile.png

A four wheeler makes a great addition to any farm. But b4 I had that I used a sled to move hay around. Up where I live there is no easy way to do water, I carried all winter to heated buckets. But I looked at it as good exercise so I don't feel it was a loss.

I think cleaning stalls is the worst part. If anyone has any quick tips there, that would be great!

I used to have to drag hay everyday as well. But I have those carports for my guys. Well I got a second one, divided it into half stall / half storage. I put a pallet down and now I have about 6 bales right next to my horses. The mass storage of hay sits in the shed in the field with the goats.

The Gator is my Godsend!

Heated water pails in every stall and heated Muck buckets in every turnout!!!!!!!!

Stalls with mats and pellets! I can feed, water and do 11 stalls in 30 minutes...add some more time if the horses are in them.

We store our hay in the loft and have hay drops in the floor so we just drop down what we need. We have our grain, bedding, and other supplies delivered every other week. It used to be free delivery but now we pay $6 by splitting the fee with a neighbor. I just call in the order with whatever I want.

For stalls, I use pelleted bedding and I find that to be a huge time saver. There is a technique to it, as you do NOT want to start with a stall full of pellets. But once you get started it is so easy to maintain. Just take out the poop and pee spots, add some more pellets when needed, and stir. A fine tines manure fork helps. (As does a teenager who comes over after school!!!)

Everyone gets turned out every day so they drink most of their water from tubs, heated in winter. They do have buckets in the stalls too of course, either insulated or heated in winter.

HOw cold does it get up in MA and CT? And heated muck buckets? Never heard of those.

I've just found out I'm pregnant hence asking/starting this thread!

What's a heated muck bucket? I know it is what it says, but I've never heard of one..............let alone seen one
default_biggrin.png
Can someone post a pic of the heated water tubs please? Would be really useful to me for Winter.

I have a little four wheeled buggy for getting across the fields when it's wet as it's tyres do little damage. This year I want a dry lot area like the ones I've heard of on here, but to do that I have to get planning permission
default_wacko.png
and the Council can be really awkward to say the least! I then plan on keeping most of the big bales by the dry lot so things should be a lot easier for me - I really wore myself out over Winter last year. I'll then have a few of the big bales dropped around the field so that when I turn out on dry days the minis can have hay in the fields too!

My other half will help out as much as he can bless him, but I need to know I have every aspect covered for ease!

There are 16 gallon heated water buckets and then there are heaters you can place in water tanks. The 16 gallon buckets work well for my farm - quickly filled and easily dumped if need be. And they only draw 250 watts per hour as opposed to the tank heaters, which can draw up to 1500 watts per hour. I can put up to 6 ponies on a bucket per paddock.

HOw cold does it get up in MA and CT? And heated muck buckets? Never heard of those.

We have a hot water line outside the house, just across the driveway from the barn, so we just use the empty recycled cat litter jugs to get it and bring it into the barn. No electric heaters here, lost a horse in a fire, way to cautious for that. We also have a dumpster right outside the barn doors, they come and haul it away when it is full. No loss of land, no flies, wouldn't have it any other way.

Latest posts

Back