Long embilicol cord

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stenhse

Reaction score
My 2 month old filly had its embilicle cord break about 2 inches from the belly. Now it has a sort of pouch there of skin and I can feel the thin cord inside it. Is it possible to rubber band this to cut it shorter or does it have to stay that way. I would appreciate any information you experienced breeders could give this newbie. Thanks in advance.

Steve
default_sad.png

I would have your vet look at it before you cut or tie anything.

It sounds as if she may have an umbilical hernia to me, and may require surgery to fix it.

Do you have a picture?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a hernia. DON'T tie it off. The umbilical cord has dried up and fallen off by this point(hopefully). What you're seeing/feeling is not the cord, it's part of her intestine. It usually isn't a big deal...But there are non-surgical ways to correct it (possibly) that your vet may tell you about. Consult your veterinarian.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have your vet look at it before you cut or tie anything.

It sounds as if she may have an umbilical hernia to me, and may require surgery to fix it.

Do you have a picture?

Sounds like a hernia. DON'T tie it off. The umbilical cord has dried up and fallen off by this point(hopefully). What you're seeing/feeling is not the cord, it's part of her intestine. It usually isn't a big deal...But there are non-surgical ways to correct it (possibly) that your vet may tell you about. Consult your veterinarian.

Thank you very much for your information, I will call my vet and have it checked.

Stenhse

YES most definetly have your vet check it out! I agree that is sounds like it could be an umbilical hernia, if so I think your vet can just tape it, and it should be fine without surgery.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back