Keeping Blankets Just In Case?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny

Reaction score
I was just thinking about whether I should buy a blanket for Breaker just in case it gets too cold. I definitely don't plan on him wearing it regularly, but just on rare occasions when it gets dangerously cold for him. It's usually very dry where I am, but it's a bit wetter this year and we've already reached our coldest temperature of last year (-25ºC in the day), and it's not even winter yet! Just wondering if you guys keep blankets for emergencies, or do you find they are always warm enough?

I don't live in an area with that low of temperatures but if I were you I would get a blanket in case he got sick, or was shivering really bad, because that is bitter cold !!

Jenny, our climate is pretty similar to yours and yes, I have blankets for all of mine (plus extras) Mine almost never wear them but in the fall and early spring if it gets wet but is still cold/windy I will blanket to keep them dry. I really don't like to blanket because once you do the hair lays flat and it is hard to find that perfect time to stop blanketing without leaving the horse feeling cold. The hair takes a while to regain its loft and it is the air trapped inside that keeps them warm. As long as your horse is dry (not soaked to the skin - winter coats shed water amazingly well) and able to get out of any winds they can tolerate very extreme temperatures. The only time I've had a horse shiver was when I had clipped for an early spring show and then when I pulled the blanket at the show they were cold. If they have shelter from the wind and it gets bitter cold just up the hay ration (I free feed when it is that cold and don't worry they will get fat because a few days or a week won't make a horse fat IMO) and that keeps them happy.

So all that ramble was meant to say I would, if you can, make sure to have a blanket for him, 2 would be even better so if one is wet/dirty you can pull it off and put the other on while you clean the first. But be prepared to rarely need them
default_smile.png

It is always good to have a blanket, cooler and flymask in case of emergency. The flymask because in the event of eye injury, the eye should be covered, the blanket because if your horse falls ill and catches fever or chills orgets cut, needs shaved for stitches and gets cold. The cooler for when he gets wet and chilled in extenuating circumstances and needs cooled out. Usually a winter coat is more than enough, even in rain/snow but emergencies do occur and u will want to be prepared.

Thanks everyone! Would you recommend I get a really heavy winter blanket, or more of a medium weight turnout blanket?

I bought four blankets of various sizes when there was a great sale--they are winter blankets--very warm. I didn't use them for years, but one mare had a reaction to her vaccines last spring and she was shivering terribly. I was so grateful I had blankets that night! I had to talk her into it carefully because they hadn't seen them before, but once it was on she seemed so appreciative. Shivering stopped. I left it on her all night--stalled.

Yes keep a very good warm one for just in case. Be sure you get a wide belly band too. They stay on pretty good.

Keep him dry, out of the wind, eating hay and he should do well.

You never know when a medical condition will require a horse to have extra warmth, so yes, a very warm blanket is a good idea to have on hand.

The other day I trailered my pony home from a camping trip and it was drizzling. I put a waterproof sheet on himto help keep him dry. When i got home and took him out , i was astonished to see (straight load trailer) that he was wet up to his mane, he was shivering. Next time he gets a hood and a blanket. Even if he gets hot it is only temporary. Im talking about when the temps are low. it was about 40 degrees. So im all about having blankets and sheets and hoods for the "just in case".

Thanks everyone for the replies! I think i'm just going to wait on the blanket for now, as we won't get any rain till very late spring/summer and it's rarely ever windy here, so he won't ever get soaked in the winter. We've also been have unusually warm weather lately (it was 2ºC today!). He has a very warm stall that can be completely closed off if need be
default_smile.png

I FULLY ditto what Reignmaker posted.

We've rarely ever blanketed our horses (except newborns). You probably won't need one because of weather, but it's good to have one if he ever gets sick.

Latest posts

Back