Introducing a new horse to the herd

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
How does everyone introduce a new horse to the herd?

Chief is fine with Coco and Harley, i can turn them out together and not have to worry. Royal is the one that has me worried bc Royal is the leading horse of the pack and as far as he is concerned, that drylot is his and no other new horse is to touch it! Normally what i would do is lead them both together (one on each side). Then i turn one loose and keep the other on the lead and walk the one around the other and lunge and get them close and let them smeel each other. Then i switch to the other on the lead and the other loose.

I dont know if i should just turn them loose together or ...? I really dont want a horse fight
default_unsure.png
:

How do you introduce a new horse to the herd?

I don't know if it is possible or not but could you pasture them next to eachother first, so that they can see, smell, and touch each other but not harm? Sorry, not a big help, haven't introduced horses before. But hey there, where are the pictures? Unless I missed a post (very possible since I haven't been on all day) this horse needs a proper introduction LOL!

We do the following. The new horse is brought in and introduced briefly to each horse(stalled). The following day our horses are put out in their usual paddocks and the new horse in an adjacent paddock so they can see each other and talk. The electric fence is on. We continue to do this until we feel it is safe to put the new horse in with another ( under close supervision). This can take days or weeks to accomplish a safe introduction. This method has worked for us so far, but I would be interested to know if anyone else has a different or better way.

Pat

I have found that it pays to house a new horse separately for 1-2 weeks, just in case they are carrying something nasty.
default_wink.png
:

The last horse I bought came with lots of friends :eek: so fortunately they were not passed on to any of my other horses, as she was kept away from them. She was kept within sight of the others, but not within touch.

Looks like she will be kept separate for a while yet too, as she's a bit on the light side, and my others are not! :new_shocked: :lol:

When the time comes, she will first be housed next to her new room mate, then when I am satisfied that they are relaxed with each other, they will be put together.

The new horse run ( without lead, halter only) out side the fence, the herd inside.

I will see and watch. Then I take the herd out of neutral ground. Alfa mare greets the new horse, stallion greets, everything is fine. The new horse needs to stay away from the foals a few days.

Worked for me 99%.

1% is my stallion he doesn't like a specific mare. I feel she is beautiful it seems he sees her different.

And so my boys. They act always friendly when a new horse comes. They are always happy to get new folks in.

Best wishes

Anita

I usually seperate between fences, and feed at the fenceline so that so nose to nose action takes place. Then, after a few days I will bring my most accepting horse into the lot with the new horse. If this goes well I will leave them together. After a few days of that I will try to introduce another, and continue this until the whole herd is together..

prefer to introduce horses on the pasture, so they can, distract themselves grazing.., getting use to smells,etc.

Latest posts

Back