I think I may need a new Sewing Machine. Any economical suggestions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
I'm looking for a work horse that's not going to break the bank! I mostly piece quilts, fix the occasional hole, and some times work with denim. I do not need all the fancy stuff , it would be nice but not necessary. Basic is better. But don't get me wrong, I'm willing to invest in something nice, hubby already gave me the ok, but I'm a cheapskate! LOL!

Any suggestions?

What do you have? And do you like it?

What have you had and did you like it better?

(Just stuff like that
default_yes.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't want to invest in repairing this one, you could go to a sewing machine center that may have older models, or check on Craigs List. An older Necchi, or White, or an older metal Singer may work for you. They only do straight stitiching, or also zigzag. But if quilting and darning are your major sewing, what else would you need? I love the buttonhole magic on my Pfaff, but I am at a time in my life where it was okay to invest in one. It does not even hesitate over the side seams of hemming denim.

My old Singer would not sew denim; it was too tired. That was one reason I retired it. But it was a lower end model when it was new in 1971. Those older mechanical Vikings, Necchis and Whites were total workhorses. AND they can be maintained at home. That was my plan when I replaced the Singer, but I really wanted to be able to make buttonholes without a mechanical gadget attachment, so Santa brought me the Pfaff. These new electronic machines are like computers--a guru is needed to understand them.

Good luck. It's so nice to have good tools.

btw, I know it is recommended to use a new needle with every sewing project. That stabs my thrifty heart! I haven't replaced one yet in a year, but I know I'm supposed to. Do you change yours for each new quilt?

No I have to admit I do not change my needle very often. I do have heavy needles for tough projects and I have a few new ones for regular quilting. I know I should change it more often then I do...
default_blush.png

I am a thrifty person too, so the sewing machines I have now were bought used except for my serger. I have a Singer mint green Featherweight from the 60's is a good light machine and is maintained at home. I have a Singer 99K from the 30's. It sews leather and denim and is a workhorse and is maintained at home also. I have sewn webbing on that one and it does not hesitate to sew. Then I have two Husqvarna Viking Designer 1 machines. They both sew and embroider and these are the machines I use the most. I cannot service them, they get taken in at least once a year unless they act up. Then I have a newer Singer serger…don't use it much at all.

I had a Singer machine that I bought in 1984 new. I loved it and it worked well. I don't remember the model number but I learned to quilt on it. I gave it to my daughter-in-law a few years ago. It never had to be serviced and worked just as well as the day it was new. I oiled it about once a year and cleaned out lint from the bobbin area after each project.

I probably don't need all the machines I have but each one has a purpose and gets used. If I had to have just one, it would be my Husqvarna Designer 1….but I'm not giving up any of my machines. They are here to stay!

Good luck with your search for your sewing machine. Hope you find it soon and are back to sewing right away!

I used a White machine for 40 years then gave myself a new Kenmore. I really like this new one, it has the decorative stitches, buttonholer in the machine as well as an attachment. What I like the most is that it will sew through thick layers easily and I can remove the platform to sew in the round.

It sews denim easily - I have made a number of horse blankets with it and repaired halters.

I think it is a 385, or the middle of the road model. I did not realize how the old White was so outdated until the new one, and made my life in sewing so much easier. I was having to adjust the tension constantly on the White and was so frustrated

I think buying one that is really old could be a bad idea, look for one that is not over 10 years old JMO.

Latest posts

Back