I need some help :P

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I call myself a newbie in driving. I actually had many miles of driving in my past. I used to train and jog 17 hand racehorses at the local track and I drove a pair of ponies and two singles. I had no fear, wore no helmet and didn't carry a whip or wear gloves. This was 35 years ago...I now call myself a newbie in driving now because I realized that my background actually wasn't current, could be considered dangerous...and we know so much more now about balance and harness and fit and safety, so I began my journey back from scratch with the help of a seasoned current driver...I will be a newbie for years to come, I still have so much to learn.

When I rode horses years ago, I rode in halters, bareback, didn't wear a helmet and laughed at those that did. I didn't drive a car yet and was "brave" enough to cross a 6 land highway with my horse, standing in the turn lane of the intersecting road and making my horse step on the plate that changed the light while myself and a bunch of little kids on ponies crossed the road to go ride in the only decent riding land around.
default_new_shocked.gif

There is so much more information available, great tools, great safety tips and so much more knowledge of how to hook up balance and fit the cart to the horse. Never thought about any of it all those years ago... Now I can't imagine not being focused on all these things as a priority and I am a sponge, eager to learn more and more and finally humble enough to ask for help and listen to the help. A few weeks ago Leia talked about the zen and how to sit in the cart and feet placement, hands and balance. I looked at my proudly posted photos and saw that I was indeed sitting low, back on the back rest, slouched and my feet were apart and on the floor. My second set of photos looked much more balances, not quite there yet, but better than the first... It is a progression and you never stop learning.

Those of us who post get excited when somebody asks for an opinion. Even as a newbie I find myself wanting to share my knowledge with someone... We are horse people and I think that is a characteristic that makes us different and in a good way. I find people who have horses, tougher, more opinionated, not afraid to speak up... but also more sensitive than the average person. I could spot a horse person in my dog obedience classes without them saying one word. I would say,.. "you have horses right?" I was right every time. They carry themselves well, handle their dogs and themselves differently and I found them naturals at dog training. I still say "YIPPEE" to this entire forum and thank you all for everything you share. I had a friend tell me once.. " I never always agree with or like what you say Adair, but I can always rely on you to speak your sincere opinion and give an honest answer to me".... I consider that a compliment.

default_saludando.gif

She came here for help, with perfectly reasonable questions.

but she wouldn't know about those until someone explained or she saw for herself the accidents that can happen.

Again- learned from experience.

Anyway, I'm sorry to see the thread this turn has taken as I think Michelle is potentially a great addition to the driving world and would hope we could simply answer her technical questions as she politely asked us to.

I'd like to see it in person to make a better judgment call and help you get things connected as well as possible. You've got a good basic harness, a good horse, and possibly a workable cart. Let's play!

Leia
So Leia, you would like to "see it in person" to be sure that it is done right? Is that not what everyone was suggesting, that she get some help from someone close enough to be there in person? You are correct, she asked politely and everyone was answering her politely until she said "But I guess if all I'm going to do is get lectured on safety and how I can't do this myself then I'll just figure this out myself." IF you go out and help her as you have offered Leia (as I might have as well if I was close enough to do so because I too enjoy teaching and helping beginners to become involved in the sport I truly love and enjoy) is she going to be willing to listen to you or is she going to close her ears to your "lecture"? Myrna simply replied with some good, well intentioned advice and the "Cowgirl" didn't want to hear her "lecture". She will only become a "great addition to the driving world" IF she wants to learn and is willing to take advice from those who have already "learned from experience". I don't see you saying anything different than the rest of us did and she responded with I don't wanna be lectured and my horse is an absolute angel I don't need your advice. You also apparently " offered before to come down there and spend a day with you" and she didn't take you up on it. She is as I said, either someone who wants to ---- disturb as I distinctly remember you enjoyed doing on a certain forum that existed a few years back, perhaps that is why you identify with her, OR isn't yet willing to listen to good sound advice - not someone who is ready to learn. It is extremely hard to want to waste your time trying to help someone with that attitude. Maybe once she has an accident and she or her horse gets injured then she will be more willing to take advice from the seasoned pros.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is sad that it is either a sound hard knock on the head or seeing one in person that sets on the right path to safety.

I also think there are many times we post too quickly... and regret how we typed something. I have even gone in and edited an earlier posting because I didn't think people were getting it the way I intended it to sound.

Hopefully that perfect little horse isn't going to someday say "I just can't take it any more" and explode. You can hear how much she loves the little guy and he thankfully has lots of patience. I am positive if she realized that low britching and high breast collars make the horse uncomfortable and don't serve their purpose and can actually hurt and that improperly fitting carts with tires that tires that will fold on a turn or peel off the rims can be very scary to even a seasoned horse.

From you all with vast experience, you know that even well trained seasoned reliable horses can lose it or have an accident.

Just know this, those of you who are frustrated at this posting... there are those of us who are reading and studying and learning from your answers and appreciating your concern.

I know of an accident that occured once for a person that really needed quite a few years more driving..., they wrecked and took out several other carriages in a parade. Sad for the people that work so hard, to have an accident caused by someone not willing to learn the safety

I know of an accident that occured once for a person that really needed quite a few years more driving..., they wrecked and took out several other carriages in a parade. Sad for the people that work so hard, to have an accident caused by someone not willing to learn the safety
We had that about three years ago. We went to a "pleasure drive" with our local driving club. Gorgeous day, we took our two seasoned driving geldings. Well, there was one person who would let their horse run up between everyone, then hold back, the run up again, then hold back...then she caught our older horse with her cart and he exploded! This was my been there, done that horse. 16 years old. He bucked so hard he broke the harness AND slats in the meadowbrook before we got him stopped. Ruined our day completely, while the people who CAUSED the accident went on their merry way without even an apology!

Fortunately our gelding was unhurt, although his driver had bruises on her knees where he caught her with his hooves! And he was perfectly fine driving later.

Ah, blessings on the cooler heads who remind us all of what's important! And yes, it is SO frustrating when idiots get other people hurt no matter what the discipline. That parade example is terrible!
default_new_shocked.gif

MiLo Minis said:
I don't see you saying anything different than the rest of us did and she responded with I don't wanna be lectured and my horse is an absolute angel I don't need your advice."
That's because you all gave her very good advice and I happen to agree with you. I too was frustrated with the reply but suspected (having been that age fairly recently myself
default_rolleyes.gif
) that the tone might not have been intended in the know-it-all way it came across and thought it would be more constructive for both her and Spanky to give her the benefit of the doubt. As Adair said, when we get frustrated we sometimes post hastily and things don't come across the way we'd wish. You and I and Myrna should all know that!
default_laugh.png

MiLo Minis said:
You also apparently " offered before to come down there and spend a day with you" and she didn't take you up on it. She is as I said, either someone who wants to ---- disturb as I distinctly remember you enjoyed doing on a certain forum that existed a few years back, perhaps that is why you identify with her, OR isn't yet willing to listen to good sound advice - not someone who is ready to learn.
If that's what you believe, no wonder you've been abrupt with me for the last few years.
default_no.gif
If you'd ever seen the circulated transcripts of the incident on that forum you're referring to, you'd know I had nothing to do with what happened and was as startled and dismayed as anyone else when I found out. The proof is there, time and date stamped, and thank God for that. If it is a crime to be an occasional poster on a forum when someone else does something stupid, then paint us all red! Good lord. At least I finally know what I "did" to lose your respect; I never could figure out what had changed.

Shorthorsemom said:
I find people who have horses, tougher, more opinionated, not afraid to speak up... but also more sensitive than the average person. ... I had a friend tell me once.. " I never always agree with or like what you say Adair, but I can always rely on you to speak your sincere opinion and give an honest answer to me".... I consider that a compliment.
default_saludando.gif
I think these are very wise comments, Adair. I KNOW I'm oversensitive on some things and have both taken and given offense on here where none was intended, especially when I had things going on in my own life that made me have little heart for the forum at that time. Beating your head against a wall is never a good feeling and I don't blame anyone for being reluctant to do so. But at the same time I felt it was unfair to assume someone was posting solely to agitate without any evidence of that and have a right to state that opinion. LB strongly discourages nastiness and I was disappointed to see it here no matter what was viewed as the provocation.

I very much hope Myrna does not leave us as I love reading about her tandems and her pair and her new Welsh pony!
default_yes.gif

Having deleted the rest of what I originally wanted to say, I am now going to go outside and work my ponies. Life's too short for unnecessary drama! Wishing you all fair skies and wide trails,

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Michelle,

Please don't be upset with those who have offered advice to your request for help. They made valid points and are really looking out for the safety of you and your horse. We are blessed with this forum really- I think of it as a big virtual barn where we can all hang out and talk/learn from each other. To be able to share our passion for driving minis- which I believe will be the equine of the future for many- it's a treat. I have seen the quality of minis getting better and better at the shows my club puts on where I volunteer.

So whether you are big into showing or recreational driving is more your thing- there's alot to learn and share. I personally don't show at this point- not enough hours in the day or money in the bank. And it's just not my thing. I put my money into tack and equipment for my horses
default_wink.png
Anyway- my point is no matter in what capacity you enjoy driving- there are safe ways to do things.

We are lucky to have some really experienced drivers and trainers here. I hope they stick around- and share. And newbies- stay too.
default_smile.png
I love seeing you and your horses grow.

So maybe everyone take a deep breath. Go out and hug a horse. We are all on the same team so to speak.
default_yes.gif

Angie

Latest posts

Back