I drove Duckie today! Photos Added

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
It was a wonderful day. The drive up was just great and it was beautiful blue skies.

We pulled in at Ron and Dorothys just about when I had planned to. Susanne was introduced to the wonderful Titus and Nick or Nip not really sure. Both are just wonderful dogs.

Then we headed out to see The Duck. She looks great. Head over heels in love with Bandito at this moment and I believe the feelng is mutual.

So Dorothy brought her in and got her hitched up after a couple kisses that is. So off to the field for my first time driving her. Dorothy drove first and Duckie looks so great. Then it was my turn to get in the cart. Took a little ride then Dorothy stopped her and handed me the lines. It was great. You can really feel the power this horse has. Dorothy has done an excellent job training her and we did some cones and lots of trotting. It was so awesome. What a wonderful horse I have who really enjoys this job. You can really see it when she is out there trotting and looking so great.

Then it was Susannes turn and after Susanne Ron took her for a spin. I will let Susanne post what she thought of the drive.

Ron took pictures and I'm sure he will be emailing them to me so I can post them.

We then decided that was enough driving she had actually worked up quite a sweat so it was back to the staging area and Dorothy got her unhitched and then hosed her down good. We then did a little visiting and headed out to lunch at the Rusty Tractor.

We were wanting to be back home between 4:00pm and 5:00pm and made that time. Did I say what a beautiful perfect day it was?

Just a picture of someone driving Duckie.

DSCN0805_2.jpg

I'm doing the driving in this photo.

DSCN0798.jpg

Me driving again

DSCN0796.jpg

Picture of Susanne driving Duckie

DSCN0803_2.jpg

And Another one of Susanne driving

DSCN0800_2.jpg

Vietnam Veteran

United States Army

Happy Home of:

AMHR JPF Jimmy Dolittle 1992

AMHR D/F All That Jazz 1992

AMHR D/F Princess Ariela 1993

AMHR D/F Dukin Into Springtime 2002

AMHR D/F Koda Bear 2005

Promise and Jazzy "Pygmy Goats" 2009

My website link below:

My link

Last edited by a moderator:
Shortpig said:
Leia maybe if you have no plans tomorrow you could swing on down to Elma also and say Hi.
Sorry Marie, I just had my two days off and have to work this weekend. Bummer! I know you guys will have a great time though.

Leia

Sorry you have to work and can't make it Leia. It is supposed to be really nice and I can't wait to get in that cart today. I'm going to drive my girl for the first time ever. My poor little girl Vicky has to work also and won't be able to go. Sucks to be her!

Susanne is also excited about the trip. We are going to have such fun. Yes I'm taking my camera and you will be inundated with pictures I'm sure.

I have other good news. My wonderful nephew is coming over tomorrow and is going to get all the lights and brakes working on our horse trailer so we can actually use it. We will then be able to load up the horses and go where we want to so we can drive them out in the world. There seems to be an issue with the signal lights left for right and right for left. He will fix that. Then he has to get the brake controller installed and set it so the brakes on the trailer are working right.

I am going to leave all the bad behind for this weekend. Just have fun for a change.

Marie

I was very confused there for a moment as I scrolled down until I realized you'd written over the original post. Don't DO that, girl!
default_wacko.png
You make me think I'm seeing things (and I already know I'm crazy).
default_doh.gif

Ducky looks awesome and I'm so glad you had a perfect day. You'll have to get used to letting your horse really trot out as it's obvious Dorothy has taught your girl to move like a proper CDE horse should.
default_wub.png
Jimmy's gonna have to hustle to keep up! When does she come home?

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Duckie comes home the end of the month. The good news is my nephew came out in the rain and we now have a trailer with brakes that work right and the lights all work right too. AWESOME! So when the time comes we will be able to go get her. She will continue working with her the rest of the month.

Like Leia you got me on the overwrite. I thought I had had a weird snooze or something.
default_wacko.png

Anyway, I am delighted that the weather cooperated for you and that you got some drive time as well as great pictures. Duckie looks great, and you look good driving her. You have a real gem in that little one.

Next time you are headed up drop me a line. I'd love to meet you, and am always looking for an excuse to see Dorothy and Ron.
default_yes.gif

Like Leia you got me on the overwrite. I thought I had had a weird snooze or something.
default_wacko.png

Anyway, I am delighted that the weather cooperated for you and that you got some drive time as well as great pictures. Duckie looks great, and you look good driving her. You have a real gem in that little one.

Next time you are headed up drop me a line. I'd love to meet you, and am always looking for an excuse to see Dorothy and Ron.
default_yes.gif

Will do. I actually thought about it this time but don't even know why I didn't. We had such a great time and the weather was so awesome. Problem now is they have weekends doing either CDE or Shows until Duckie comes home. So it would have to be a weekday when we go next time. I need to set a date to do that so I can get the day off of work. My daughter will also need to go with me or someone will not sure who yet. But the time will come soon I'm sure.

Marie

Weekends are crazy here anyway, with dog shows and my training. (I was biking then running on Saturday
default_wacko.png
) I look forward to meeting.

Yesterday I was sitting at work thinking, I probably don't have to have a horse there to go visit Ron and Dorothy. If I do we could just load up Duckie and head up there to visit and bring her along or maybe for fun we could take Ariel instead.

Yesterday she actually practiced her dressage with Duckie and said she did good even though half the dressage pattern was in the swamp. Go figure "Duck" swamp. Works for me. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and Duckie will end up at Happs before she comes home. Theres a lesson she could use watching all those other horses with the horse eating carts attached.

I'm sure we will meet each other one of these days.

I was very confused there for a moment as I scrolled down until I realized you'd written over the original post. Don't DO that, girl!
default_wacko.png
You make me think I'm seeing things (and I already know I'm crazy).
default_doh.gif

Ducky looks awesome and I'm so glad you had a perfect day. You'll have to get used to letting your horse really trot out as it's obvious Dorothy has taught your girl to move like a proper CDE horse should.
default_wub.png
Jimmy's gonna have to hustle to keep up! When does she come home?

Leia

Oh my Leia! There is no way I could drive Jimmy and Duckie together and also no way he could keep up with her and those long legs she has. Yes she is training her like a proper CDE horse. Once I get her home and get used to and comfortable with her she will get to stretch out and go. Now that we have our trailer working right we will plan our trip to the beach. It will be Ariel who will have to keep up with her. It's supposed to be beautiful this weekend so I plan on getting them out driving here at home and it is great because Vicky also has the weekend off. I still need to go to the DMV and get the new tags for my trailer. Then we can load up and go other places to drive.

Also we have the parade coming up on the 4th of July. That will be either Ariel or Jimmy not sure who yet. Right now we have two carts, three driving horses, two drivers and then next year I still hope to send Koda Bear for training. This year so far I clipped him with the clippers first time and he didn't care. Vicky vacuumed him first time and he didn't care, We might just throw a harness on him to see his reaction but I don't think he will care. It seems he finally got over the trauma of being gelded and I have now won back all his trust. So we will see what the future holds. I do think Ron and Dorothy are going to like training him too. He is a total powerhouse. Somewhere between 34" and 35" tall and stout but not too stout. Oh and your favorite color he is a Black silver dapple pinto but right now his dapples are stretched. Needs to lose a few more pounds.

I actually drove over 2/3 s of the preliminary test two with her that day. The one end of the ring was in the wetlands for the day and we could not do the serpentine. She has the will and power to become a strong competitor in the CDE world . She need time to develop her potential from a green novice to a seasoned veteran. That takes the time in harness and the miles under the hoof.

Ron

Great driving, great company, great weather -- great day!

This was a wonderful visit, and Dorothy and Ron were great hosts, along with Titus and Nip, Great Pyrenees and Border Collie. Good thing Titus didn't fit in my pocket...

Duckie's form belies her short time in harness. She's very responsive and fun to drive and had no problem hauling two passengers over the often swampy ground. She didn't bat an eyelash at plunging through the swamp, so creek crossings should be a breeze.

Thanks Marie for inviting me along, and thanks Dorothy and Ron for showing us such a great time!

Latest posts

Back