I am buying a new digital camera

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlenehorse

Reaction score
I am looking for a new camera and I want one that takes excellent action shots. Please let me know what kind of camera you have and how mang pixels and if the camera has a knob that will switch it to action.

I want something that is easy and fast to switch over to action for pictures at shows.

Thanks for all your help. I NEED A NEW CAMERA. LOL

Carlene

I recently bought a Canon Powershot S3 IS and I love it!!!

You can read about it here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022111canons3is.asp

It has taken really good action shots for us and has a HUGE optical zoom. I just love it
default_smile.png

Wonderful Jill I appreciate your help. One more question on the action shot do you have to change anything or do you just take the picture like the still shots?

Carlene

It has a dial on it with different settings, like auto, portrait, landscape and "sports" which is the action setting
default_smile.png

Hi, I recently just purchased the Canon Powershot S3 IS and also love it. This is the 1st cannon that I have purchased, I ususally get Kodak, but Cannon has me sold. The sports mode is awesome!!

Here are 2 action shots:

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

OK that is awesome now for the hard part What is the Price for this camera? I am holding my breath. LOL

Carlene

Ready.......$500, but it is really worth it. I had a really hard time spending that much, but I thought I will not have to buy another for quite a long time. I normally buy decent kodaks for 1/2 that price, but than it only works for about 2 years. I also found with this one, it takes 4 AA batteries, and I can get 160 photos from the batteries. I hardly have to use the flash either. The kodaks burn up the batteries really fast and it gets really annoying. Hope this helps, there are also many more picture taking options with this camera, I just haven't taken the time to figure them out.

Thanks everyone I am ready to buy one and I want it to last so if I have to pay more for it that is OK.

I plan to use it for years.

My last digital camera uses a 3 1/2 floppy disc and I have had it for 5 years and it still works but I can't get any action shots with it.

Carlene

OK Farmhand a question please

When taking action shots do they have a knob to turn the camera to action?

Thanks Carlene

Yes there is a dial on top of the camera, it depends on what you are doing. If you want to take "continious" shots or movies etc. Canon (in my opinion) is one of the best. Here are a couple I took the other day.

Jessie1.jpg

Finny2.jpg

I have a Canon A70. It is not a new camera, but still takes great shots. The new Canon's have "logic 2" which is much faster. Make sure you get a big enough memory card (or even two).
default_yes.gif
:

Ready.......$500, but it is really worth it. I had a really hard time spending that much, but I thought I will not have to buy another for quite a long time. I normally buy decent kodaks for 1/2 that price, but than it only works for about 2 years. I also found with this one, it takes 4 AA batteries, and I can get 160 photos from the batteries. I hardly have to use the flash either. The kodaks burn up the batteries really fast and it gets really annoying. Hope this helps, there are also many more picture taking options with this camera, I just haven't taken the time to figure them out.
I agree with all you're saying! I just LOVE mine too.

With our batteries, I took a TON of pictures and I only just changed the batteries for the first time this weekend and they had not yet run out (just didn't want them to in the middle of the show).

It has all kinds of artsy type settings, too, if you are so inclined and can make a 1GIG movie!!!

It really is an awesome camera.

I was going to post a thread similar to this last night, but I'm glad that I waited. I have an old Kodak EasyShare (2.1 MP) that takes great pictures. I'm not on the high end of the pay scale, so last year I "splurged" and spent $150 on a Fuji FinePix (4.0 MP). HUGE mistake! This is the crappiest camera that I've ever owned. Even on the "sport" mode, if you flinch just a hair, the whole picture is blurry. Close-ups? Forget it unless it's on the tiny tripod that it came with.

I sent the Kodak with hubby, for him to take pictures while he's on the road. So now I'm saving up our pocket change to get a new camera. Do y'all realize how much pocket change it takes to make up $500? It'll take me forever to get that much money! Is there anything cheaper that y'all would recommend? I really like the Kodak EasyShare, but are the cheaper Canon cameras a decent buy? I wish I could afford that $500 camera, but it's not possible in the near future.

I got a Canon Power shot EOS Rebel XT for Christmas. I LOVE this camera!! It takes awesome action, close-ups and continuous shots and keeps right on going. The pics are clear.....and I can honestly say I enjoy learning off of it. It's a little pricey (Had Santa bring it :lol: ) but it's worth it! Here's some action shots.

The boys

f033398f.jpg

Lakota playing in the snow

f03339db.jpg

This one I slipped in here just because it's 104 degrees outside today!

f0333aed.jpg

i also like the rebel XT, an amateur digital SLR would probably be your best bet, either a rebel or a nikon d50 or d70

Sterling, you're teasing me, aren't you? It's 105* here, with a heat index of over 110*. That's just too darn hot for anyone.

I did find a fancy looking Kodak EasyShare online that's not too much. I think I see a layaway in my future :bgrin

Latest posts

Back