How to seperate business and friendship?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellen

Reaction score
Lately I have found that selling a horse comes with all types of strings, expectations. No matter what the contract.

I know it is me. To easy going. But I have started to feel the burden of this. Quite frankly, I feel taken advantage of. While it is important for me to know how my four legged kids are doing, where should the line be?

How do you seperate business and pleasure? I am always willing to help. But sometimes, enough is enough. I need to learn how to call payments, make agreement more in our favor and level the playing field.

Suggestions needed. Thank you in advance for your help.

You are very clear on your website regarding your terms. So there are no surprises or misunderstandings there.

I personally LOVE people that stay in touch and let me know how the horses are doing. I love getting photos of them and hearing stories. I never mind the questions that they ask. If I am busy I may ask if I can call them back when I have more time for them. I hate learning about a problem that they had that I could have helped them with AFTER the fact. I would prefer being kept in the loop.

It is hard when people do not pay on time, or "the check is in the mail", or you trust that people that say they will buy the horse, actually DO buy the horse.

People are not always reliable. I appreciate when they are just honest and let me know if a payment will be late before I have to call them.

Good communication is key in buisness Ellen.

If you think they are asking too much of you then tell them. Venting here is fine, but letting your clients know when you draw the line is more important to your buisness.

Just after a sale is when most buyers have questions. It typically slows down over time.

I also love it when I get updates on horses I've sold. You aren't really clear on what kind of problems you're having. Most of the people I've sold to locally remain friends in a loose sort of way. They want to know when new babies are here and come out and see them. I love to show off my minis so I have no problem with that.

Paying on time is a very easy problem to solve. You NEVER let a horse leave that's not 100% paid for - to ANYONE ! When it's paid off - it goes. There's nothing wrong with that...I've never known Costco let me take my months grocery shop ahead and pay in installments after lol. In your contract you state that if payments are more than one week late a late fee is added. You have them sign a contract saying that if a payment is missed for a month then they forfeit the horse and all money already spent. Other businesses do it why can't you. If you can't handle being firm...get out of the business. There - simple
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back