How picky are you when purchasing...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disneyhorse

Reaction score
Okay, so I had twins that are three months old. We've had them sleeping in a co-sleeper (like a crib that attaches to the bed so I can sleep right next to them but not endanger them) but now they are outgrowing it and I want to get them big, comfy cribs to sleep in.

I went to a Big-Name Retailer that sells baby items and spent an hour looking at all the cribs. I didn't want to spend a ton, because I have to buy TWO cribs, but I wanted something sturdy to last them a while (they sell ones that convert to toddler and then full-size beds down the road). So I picked a middle-of-the-road one that was about $350 (they sell cribs from anywhere from $100 on up)

It get special ordered from the warehouse, so we picked it up a week later. My husband opened up the box (he did not go with me to pick it out) and started saying what terrible quality it was for spending $300 on it. It wasn't solid wood, it was pieced together every foot or so. On top of that, it had a piece splintered off of it from shipping, so I had to take it back.

Well, we went back to the store with it (it weighs 90 pounds, so of course he's happy about lugging it back and forth in the first place) and they offered to exchange it since it's damaged.

Well, I showed my husband the floor model, and it has NO joints. Every piece of wood is solid. My husband apologized to me for telling me I picked a poor-quality crib because the one they sent was not solid wood (do you understand it is "solid wood" but not "solid wood pieces" does that make sense?).

I asked if we could have the floor model one, since it was obviously better quality, but they said it was owned by the vendor.

Am I being too picky about the quality? Would you feel this is some sort of false advertising or bait-and-switch going on here? Or would you just feel that it's made of wood and the same color so it is fine?

I am hoping I can get a better quality crib sent to me, but I'm disappointed.

Since I have twins, I'm happy I only bought one to try. If I can't get the crib I saw in person, I won't be getting another one.

Andrea

Thanks for hearing my rant,

Andrea

I do not think you are being picky at all. These are your babies!! You spent a lot of time picking out a nice, safe, sturdy crib. What you got was a piece of crap. I would tell them that unless you get one like THAT one in the showroom that you PAID for & expected, that you want your money back!

People think consumers are stupid and can be pushed to accept junk. Fight back!

Either they should give you the SAME crib you chose & bought, or put the piece of crap one on the showroom floor so people will know what to expect! IMO what they did was dishonest.

The vendor owns the GOOD one? Why not sell it to you then since they can always get another one just like it from their stock? Because they CAN'T, there's only the one good one to lure & cheat buyers with.

Kick their butts Andrea!
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You aren't being picky one bit. Besides, you might have more kids! We went for two regular size cribs, no frills but save as can be. Then we went to bunk beds after that. But since you have one of each, I'd go with a regular crib for each, followed by youth beds. By the time they have youth beds they'll be having wrecks and scratching up furniture, maybe doing art work on them so I wouldn't be too fussy about them. We bought just about all our baby furniture and things at JCPenney.

No way do I think you are being too picky! You bought something that was being displayed and expected that quality! It is what you PAID for...Not a piece of crap in "pieces" that could possibly fall apart and harm your child! I hope they send you the one you were expecting or I would ask for a refund and go someplace else! Also, check for "recalls"...a lot of baby/child items get recalled it seems and cribs are notorious for them.

Your children's safety should ALWAYS come 1st!

I am with the others and I don't even have kids, but it is essential that you get solid, safe cribs, and further, what that store did was a form of bait and switch which is illegal. You bought and paid for the crib that was on display and you had every right to expect to receive that exact crib. I would be reporting them to some agency or other for sure as well as shopping elsewhere.

Good to hear you are shopping new and not used since the safety standards for cribs have changed so much recently. If you buy good cribs, you should be able to get your investment back by selling them when you are done with them.

You aren't being too picky. Cribs are one thing I am very picky about. With all of the crib recalls in recent years, you cant be too picky. I decided to get a no frills safe, but affordable crib for my son. I didnt want one that converted because you still have to buy the kit to convert them over into beds, and by the time I spent the price difference on the convertible crib, then the kit to convert it, I could have bought him a nice regular bed. Whats in the box should be exactly the same as what is displayed on the floor. My sister is due tomorrow and had a lot of trouble with a $600 crib they purchased from baby depot, and had to return it three times. The first two were broken, the one she has now just has an uneven finish on it. They did give her a giftcard for her hassle, but Im sure they spent more money on gas returning stuff than for what the gift card was worth.

NO WAY you are not being too picky. You need something that is SAFE and sounds like what you got was a piece of total CRAP. If they can't ship you one that is like the floor model and would tell them you want a full refund and why! That is dangerous to have it like that and already broken just from shipping? Yikes!

That’s a lot of money for a junk crib.

My daughters crib was just over 200 for a convertible crib from IKA. Good solid crib.

The newest one was cheaper at 200 on clearance from almost 400 for a 3 piece set of crib, changing table and dresser. Not what I wanted but at the time money was and is an issue. It is a convertible crib but I plan on buying a nicer one as the child grows. The first 6 months she will probably be next to me in our room anyway as what will be the baby’s room is pretty cold in the winter.

After looking and buying, I will say the price doesn’t always mean anything. I have seen expensive not worth the money cribs and cheap but good cribs.

Andrea, if the floor model was not what you expected, based on the model on the floor that you thought you were ordering, then the sales practice at that store is very deceitful. I would definitely check their website, and if they are a member of the better business bureau, I would lodge a complaint with the bureau.

Thanks guys.

Sandy, I'm quite sure they are as this is a nationally popular store. However, I am going to give them a chance to resolve the issue first. I've also contacted the manufacturer directly to see if I can get results that way.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Andrea

DECEITFUL BIG TIME AND THE POOREST OF BUSINESS PRACTICES!Hard to believe that even the sales clerk wasnt alarmed. Why is Gods name did they even have the vendors personal crib in the store. Did they not realize that potentially they could sell you 2 cribs ( if in fact you liked the one that was sent )I would think they would sell you the first one for asking price and tell you "Your going to like this crib so much we will give you 20% off the 2nd crib if you choose to buy from us"!! Furniture especially baby furniture has one of the highest mark ups to begin with. Most stores have a huge amount they can play with....if they play right!

Other than the crib how are you enjoying double Mommyhood?

Latest posts

Back