Horse shot!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyB

overo
Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]We are VERY sad to report that 2 horses were shot at Varian Arabians. Maybe you have already heard about this from other forums, but thought it deserved a post here too![/SIZE]

Posted: Dec 31, 2009 3:46 PM

Updated: Dec 31, 2009 4:05 PM

Investigators are trying to figure out why someone opened fire on two prized Arabian horses. Two mares used for breeding were found shot Thursday morning. It happened at Varian Arabians near Arroyo Grande. One of the horses was so badly hurt, she had to be put to sleep. The other is expected to survive.

Breeding manager Angela Alvarez was shocked this morning to find one of her prized mares had been shot. She said, "All of our horses mean the world to us. They're our life." Sweet Sanadika, 23-years-old had to be put to sleep. Another mare, 25-year-old Mosquerade, was also shot but she is recovering from her wounds.

Alvarez remembered something that caught her attention the night before. She said, "We had some friends over for dinner. We were sitting outside eating and we heard these gunshots. At first, I thought it was firecrackers or something." Rob Bryn, San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Department spokesperson, said, "We get a lot of shots fired calls in rural areas because, on private property in certain areas within the county, you can discharge firearms."

But investigators say it appears this shooting was no accident. They believe the shots were fired from the roadway and that a getaway driver was involved. They say it's a felony animal cruelty case and those responsible could spend time behind bars.

Alvarez now hopes the public can help track down the shooters. In the meantime, she can only wonder why someone would want to hurt these expensive and distinguished animals. Varian Arabians has been in the breeding and training business for more than 50 years and typically has about 150 horses on its property.

"A reward is being offered for the offenders that committed the horrific crime at Varian Arabians on Thursday. It is being handled by Crime Prevention Center,San Luis Obispo County Sheriffs Office. If anyone would like to donate money to the fund please contact Angela Alvarez: [email protected] so she can provide you with the information."

Varian horses shot

Varian Arabians

Here are the two mares who were shoot

Sweet Sanadika who has died

SweetSanadika.jpg

post-3937-1262371484_thumb.jpg

and Mosquerade V who is healing and looks to recover

So very, very sad.....I pray that the people who were responsible for the terrible crime are punished to the fullest extent!!!

default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
I have emailed Sheila and she will keep us abreast as to what happens. Here is her web site to view more on the two mares and her other beautiful Arabians.

Jenny

These types of crimes need to be punished as FULL FELONIES.........NOT just a Slap on the Hand with a few months jail time and a fine.

I AM SICK OF THE JUDGES IN THIS COUNTRY WHO DO NOT PENALIZE THESE CRIMES TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE LAW.

Grrrrrrr.

Sorry but I think if someone does that to an animal they should have the same thing done to them. Shoot 'em and leave 'em lay there hurting with no medical attention. Then hours later help 'em. If they throw a dog off a bridge them throw them off a bridge. If they put kittens or puppies in a sack and toss them into a lake, pond or creek, well then....you get where I am going with this. I even think my neighbor lady needs to eat decon so she can see what she did to my dog and what pain my dog was in. What is wrong with people?

I agree with MiniV 110 percent! Such a terrible story. Beautiful mares paying the price for someone's stupidity!
default_no.gif
default_smileypuke.gif

Sorry but I think if someone does that to an animal they should have the same thing done to them. Shoot 'em and leave 'em lay there hurting with no medical attention. Then hours later help 'em. If they throw a dog off a bridge them throw them off a bridge. If they put kittens or puppies in a sack and toss them into a lake, pond or creek, well then....you get where I am going with this. I even think my neighbor lady needs to eat decon so she can see what she did to my dog and what pain my dog was in. What is wrong with people?

I agree whole heartedly!!!! Just this morning...I heard this horrid noise, so went out to investigate it. I was absolutely SHOCKED that some jack**s had left a dog tied to my fence with about 1 foot of leash...No water, no shelter!!! It was tied out in the complete open. It was 26 degrees F!!!!!!!! (this was not a stray as it had a collar and matching leash. How many dogs that get out bring their leash?) I just want to take the person who did this, strip them to their underwear and tie them to that same spot!!!!

GGGGGRRRRR!!!!!!! So I'm not feeling very nice right now..sorry. The dog is fine. She was brought in, warmed up, fed, and watered. But seriously, how could someone do these kinds of things!

I hope they find who did this. My husbands arabian mare, SPH Sameera Sunnphire is a granddaughter of Sheila's stallion, Desperado V. Sheila breeds some gorgeous horses and was always nice to me when I e-mailed her concerning her horses and breeding program.

Latest posts

Back