High blood potassium

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercysmom

Reaction score
Came back from a week visiting family and friends in CT/RI and had results of long overdue blood work - my potassium is high and I guess the doc's office is trying to get in touch with me... I go in for more bloodwork tomorrow. My A1C was better than it was last time but still need to get down 2 more points. Endocrinologist is having me reprogram the insulin pump.

Anyone ever have high potassium? I hate bananas
default_smileypuke.gif
and haven't eaten things that contain potassium (broccoli, potatoes, orange juice) so I am baffled.

if you have had it, what do they do for it?

Thanks,

Denise

High potassium can be a sign of kidney problems or failure, HOWEVER, before you get too wigged out, make sure that the analysis was from plasma, not serum. Serum testing can give very inaccurate high readings.

How are other things like your blood pressure, heat beat, etc...? Are you diabetic? There are SO many things that are not linked that can cause a high reading, or damage. It mostly seems to come back to malfunctioning kideys though. What other kinds of meds do you take? NSAIDS and Cox2 drugs can cause kidney and/or liver problems, as does Heparin and a ton of other drugs suspected of causing kidney damage, even including Tylenol and Anacin-3, Panadol, etc....

Even dietary things though could cause a higher reading, including being dehydrated and a combination of other things regarding your vitamin/mineral balances.

It is really hard to say.... but if they think it is high, it is worth taking a second look at. You know, better safe than sorry!

I just watched Dr. Rosenthal on Fox News yesterday and he said very emphatically to NOT pump your fist before you give blood for testing and also do NOT let them leave the tourniquet on while they draw the blood; because these two things have been found to give HIGH potassium readings. I was amased as that is how they always draw blood on me and I thought, yeah right, I can just see me telling the nurse or Dr. I'm not going to do it that way anymore.
default_new_shocked.gif

I had more blood drawn today.

Yes, I have had type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes for almost 19 years, did not consume any high potassium foods in recent days (the blood sample was fasting) nor do I take things that would elevate it so I am hoping it was a serum thing and this one comes back OK.

Denise

I immediately thought problem with kidneys (definitely been there and done that-diabetic for 30 years). That doesn't mean it is, that's just what I thought. I've had multiple problems from my diabetes including diabetic retinopathy and lost my sight in my right eye. I ended up having a transplant. You might want to see a Nephrologist (kidney doctor) since you've had diabetes as long as you have.

Please keep on top of it.

Amanda

UPDATE -This past blood test came back normal. Whew - one less thing to worry about.

But, I fell down the stairs and rolled my ankle yesterday on my way out to the barn - xray is clear but the ankle is unstable (I have sprained it twice already this year) and I am now in a boot for two weeks.
default_wacko.png

Denise

Latest posts

Back